Page 173 of 236 FirstFirst ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 5882
    I have OTC 5900. It's assorted torx, torx plus, external torx, etc. No complaints but I haven't run into any stuck bolts that really put them to the test. If going Snap-on, know there are two different versions of torx bits: standard and heavy duty. The heavy duty are highly regarded but even more expensive than the standard which are already expensive.

Good stuff guys. Thanks. I twisted 2 bits so a better impact rated one makes sense. @Fnslow that's what I did after stripping one (on the practice motor) and got sprayed with the oil sitting in the screw head. Duh, brakleen first... lol

Truck is acting up ever since the valve cover gaskets got replaced. Got a low oil pressure warning yesterday. Did the deep dive on these 5.3 ls engines and yup common problem. One source is o-ring to oil pickup line. Another is oil pressure sensor. Another is oil pump bypass line gets clogged. Sensitive little bastard. I think that with the cleaning job I did I got some old chunky bits moving around the system and it is clogging either the sensor or that pump bypass. Gonna try a oil flush product and change the oil first before the monster project of removing the oil pan. Yay high mileage trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Good stuff guys. Thanks. I twisted 2 bits so a better impact rated one makes sense.
    On my last project, I too twisted some torx bits. And they were 1/2"! Picked up an impact set from ye ole Harbor Freight and they held up MUCH better.

These are the ones I got, but plan on picking up a set of 3/8" ones with more variety next:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ece-67896.html

HF offers the Icon line that is suppose to be their "pro" line and have these. IDK anything about the actual quality.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...ece-56366.html

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    HF offers the Icon line that is suppose to be their "pro" line and have these. IDK anything about the actual quality.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...ece-56366.html
    Not being "impact" rated would make me think they could twist up just the same as my Crescent and Craftsman ones have. I'm sure they're great for standard use though. Does NOT help when whatever asshole worked on the car before you used red loctite and torqued the bolt to like 1000 lb-ft, and maybe stripped it for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Not being "impact" rated would make me think they could twist up just the same as my Crescent and Craftsman ones have. I'm sure they're great for standard use though. Does NOT help when whatever asshole worked on the car before you used red loctite and torqued the bolt to like 1000 lb-ft, and maybe stripped it for good measure.
    Do you still have a healthy running c30 ? How is round 2 of the Volvo HG misadventures going ?

Good stuff guys. Thanks. I twisted 2 bits so a better impact rated one makes sense. @Fnslow that's what I did after stripping one (on the practice motor) and got sprayed with the oil sitting in the screw head. Duh, brakleen first... lol

Transmission fluid & gun solvent [or CLP] makes a fine penetrating oil. Needs time to work though. Spray on night before, wipe off right before you try to break the fastener loose, so you don't get nun onya.

I've had the same can of Kroil now for years. Seems to work pretty good, but I like to put on mechanic's coveralls before I get sum poo or Liquid Hole on me. When it runs out I'll have to bootleg my own nut buster with some leftover Dex/Merc from servicing my old Ford's transfer case.

^^ The screws I'm concerned with for this job aren't rusty at all, they're camshaft bearing cap screws so they're covered in motor oil.

Do you still have a healthy running c30 ? How is round 2 of the Volvo HG misadventures going ?
    The C30's running beautifully!!! Thing's been a joy to hoon around, so I'm a happy camper again. Just discovered a tear on one of my tires which has caused a small leak. Not crying though because the Hankook tires that it came with suck ass and this is JUST the excuse I needed to upgrade to some Pilot Sports.
    Then it's time for some new Bilstein struts and a beefier rear sway bar after I recover from the tires and everything else.

Haven't even started the S60 project yet sadly. Got too tied up with home projects I had to switch to. Just converted my loft to an office, stripped all the carpet in my house and prepped floors for replacement along with all the trim work upstairs. Been WAYYYYY too busy for my own good. Hoping to kick off the S60 in the next week or two though now that it's raining.

Dropped my Speedo cluster off with DNA Speedometers here in Tampa today.
    One look at my speedo, and he was like, "Yup... good thing you brought it to me." All sorts of leaks and fried bits.
    #1 source of toasted trannys is these PSOM's in these older Broncos.
    He is going to fix my overhead compass/ clock next.

@mf don't go Michelin. I had a set on mine and they rode like shit. After that I went to a Dunlop and it was great but they were pricey so after that I got a set of Nexen 5000 (?). They were so good and I beat them so quickly because they were so much fun they became the only tire I've purchased twice. That car rides and feels so nice I couldn't appreciate how real sport tires performed.

@mf don't go Michelin. I had a set on mine and they rode like shit. After that I went to a Dunlop and it was great but they were pricey so after that I got a set of Nexen 5000 (?). They were so good and I beat them so quickly because they were so much fun they became the only tire I've purchased twice. That car rides and feels so nice I couldn't appreciate how real sport tires performed.
    Uhhh….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348934D5-2D8E-4461-BC80-0ED20E7AB9B1.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	434014

I guess Dunlop could have better ride, but I really doubt it’s better as a ‘max performance’ tire.

The C30's running beautifully!!! Thing's been a joy to hoon around, so I'm a happy camper
    Nice. I haven't been checking this thread lately, so that's good to hear.

That'd be a surprise. On my CTS I ran everything from Pilot Sports to Bridgestones to BFGs to Dunlops and I always kept going back to the Pilots. While the Dunlops were awesome summer tires and gripped REALLY well in the dry, the Pilots were a better all around tire for all conditions. They seemed to ride just fine for me, but of course that was in a heavier, more compliant car than the C30. I'll likely take my chances with the P4S and see what I think. The Bridgestones were my least favorite. They wore way too fast. Like went through a set in 10K miles fast. Not out of the ordinary for Z rubber but at least I could squeeze out closer to 15-20K with the Pilots. I went through a LOT of tires with that old car. Haha.
    Last edited by MontuckyFried; 11-14-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Uhhh….
    I guess Dunlop could have better ride, but I really doubt it’s better as a ‘max performance’ tire.
    Jeez, I only scanned quickly and didn’t get to the Nexen part. Seriously comparing that to a Pilot?

Jeez, I only scanned quickly and didn’t get to the Nexen part. Seriously comparing that to a Pilot?
    In all fairness, I've heard the Nexen 5000s are a VERY good tire for the money, but are more akin to slight upgrade over OE rubber. I don't know how the Pilots are on this car specifically, but I can't imagine they're bad. Wonder if GL got a bum set or crap install because his is about the only dissenting opinion I've heard about them. Guess I'll just have to judge for myself.

In all fairness, I've heard the Nexen 5000s are a VERY good tire for the money, but are more akin to slight upgrade over OE rubber. I don't know how the Pilots are on this car specifically, but I can't imagine they're bad. Wonder if GL got a bum set or crap install because his is about the only dissenting opinion I've heard about them. Guess I'll just have to judge for myself.
    It certainly depends what your needs are (not putting Pilots on the minivan, or really any car that doesn’t have a suspension tuned toward a max performance tire), and also on how price conscious you are, but Pilots are widely regarded as an extremely good tire if they fit your needs and you’re willing to pay.

I had Nexen 5000's ONCE . Lasted about 30k , never gain.

But have you tried Ling Long?
    https://www.linglongtire.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Wait, was the issue that they lasted too long or not long enough?

Wait, was the issue that they lasted too long or not long enough?
    They were offered as 60k tires and they had quite a bit of road noise.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    But have you tried Ling Long?
    https://www.linglongtire.com/
    I smell a blowout. Though these seem right up gravitylover's alley.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I smell a blowout. Though these seem right up gravitylover's alley.
    What? But their motto is Ling Long Last Longtime!

What is the saying?
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Hence, Ling Long