Page 110 of 236 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    ^^
    #WINNING

Nice work! I can only imagine what the dealer would've charged for that same job.
    I know it. A lot. And thanks Austin.. Always my goal to have all the cars ready to drive to the mountains at any given time because when it rains breakdowns it pours. This time was a sprinkle...I'll take it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Range Rover 20" wheels from junkyards are scarce and scary expensive for questionable quality. New is out of the question.
    I'm surprised. You'd think they'd be more plentiful, with all the broken Rovers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    ^^
    #WINNING

Nice work! I can only imagine what the dealer would've charged for that same job.
    Well, just last week I had a Bay Area shop (read: subtract at least 30% anywhere else in the country) replace a front Outback wheel bearing for $650. But the Prius V keeps humming along, aside from when my wife drove over something and destroyed both a tire and the alloy rim a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Well, just last week I had a Bay Area shop (read: subtract at least 30% anywhere else in the country) replace a front Outback wheel bearing for $650. But the Prius V keeps humming along, aside from when my wife drove over something and destroyed both a tire and the alloy rim a few months ago.
    Had the 02 Subaru at an Indy shop for an alignment and they wanted to charge $500 for the wheel bearing. Did it myself for $130 and before I could get back there for the alignment a Derecho blew the shop down. Karma maybe? No $500 ish is prolly fair. The press in bearings are a little more labor intensive and definitely take more skill than the bolt on bearings. You can buy the bearing/seal/snap ring kit for $80ish on Ebay though...oem Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    The cost for the Impreza’s 1st wheel bearing convinced me to buy the HF vertical press and fabricate the fixtures, for the 2nd wheel bearing. All four eventually needed replacement.
    Currently a bit over 245K on the car, and a chunking CV joint is pointing to a new axel shaft. I may replace the bearing again, as long as I am that close to it.
    It has been a very good car for me.

I just took the car for tire rotation (I would do it myself but they do it for free at the tire store and it's a condition for the warranty).

A couple of weeks ago I had a flat tire and I was in a small town nearby. I had the tire patched, no big deal. Well, it turns out that they stripped one of the wheel studs.

The guy said that I should take it back to the tire repair shop, that they should replace it. But if they can't even properly tighten a lug nut I'm not going to trust them with this repair, and it's like a $5 part. So this just went on the list of things to do this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    I just took the car for tire rotation (I would do it myself but they do it for free at the tire store and it's a condition for the warranty).

A couple of weeks ago I had a flat tire and I was in a small town nearby. I had the tire patched, no big deal. Well, it turns out that they stripped one of the wheel studs.

The guy said that I should take it back to the tire repair shop, that they should replace it. But if they can't even properly tighten a lug nut I'm not going to trust them with this repair, and it's like a $5 part. So this just went on the list of things to do this weekend.
    I disagree with this mentality. Bring it back so they know they fucked up and won't do it again and they will treat your car with kid gloves. Plus, it saves you the time.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I disagree with this mentality. Bring it back so they know they fucked up and won't do it again and they will treat your car with kid gloves. Plus, it saves you the time.
    If the tire repair shop were nearby, and especially a place that I would possibly use again, I would do it, so that they fix their mistake. But the nail in the tire happened when I was at a nearby town for a meeting, I would lose about two hours going there and back. I do think that it will be easier to just fix it myself.

If the tire repair shop were nearby, and especially a place that I would possibly use again, I would do it, so that they fix their mistake. But the nail in the tire happened when I was at a nearby town for a meeting, I would lose about two hours going there and back. I do think that it will be easier to just fix it myself.
    This x1000. Do you want to be right or save 2 hours for $20 ?

Gf’s 2019 Camry needs a windshield. Has lane assist so that makes it a $1200 piece of glass I guess. Probably take a road trip and some point and use cruise, but she hasn’t used it in a couple years at least. Tempted to go a $300 version but I guess maybe I don’t know what I’m missing? Worth it?

Similar, replacement wiper blades are $60. Can get the rubber inserts for $20. Considering that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    This x1000. Do you want to be right or save 2 hours for $20 ?
    Or spend 5 hrs on a 15 minute job. That is why we have this thread.

Get lunch, get fixed, no worries. I still disagree.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

IMO, it's a good idea to send them an email and let them know. Be clear that you've taken care of it, but it's hard for management to correct employee behavior if they don't know about issues.

It's also hard if they don't care, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on the first mistake.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Gf’s 2019 Camry needs a windshield. Has lane assist so that makes it a $1200 piece of glass I guess. Probably take a road trip and some point and use cruise, but she hasn’t used it in a couple years at least. Tempted to go a $300 version but I guess maybe I don’t know what I’m missing? Worth it?

Similar, replacement wiper blades are $60. Can get the rubber inserts for $20. Considering that as well.
    FWIW, the factory wiper inserts for my Lexus are cheap and work quite well. Tons of aftermarket blades for less, but the couple I've tried don't seem to press the glass quite as well. If you go aftermarket, keep the factory wiper blade brackets so you can get inserts later, if you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dang. Stories like this REALLY make me not want a newer car. That is bonkers expensive for a freaking Camry. When a piece of glass for a Toyota costs like 4x what my Volvo windshield does, our industry's got a problem. Mine has rain sensors and the spot for the optional at the time cruise assist sensor, and still didn't cost that much. $1200? OOF!

Most insurance companies will cover most of the cost of a windshield. Even if there is a deductible, it's probably around the same amount you'd pay for a cheap windshield.

FWIW when I replaced the windshield on an old Pontiac with a heads up display, and the tech told me the only difference was that they reserved the "best" windshields for those models with the idea that the clarity was better.

RE: Windshield wipers. Troll the model specific forums. I was able to replace the arms on my wife's car with those from an older model. I no longer have to use specific blades and they work much better.
    Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 07-30-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Chup I guess I might try it. The factory passenger side bracket doesn’t seem to press that well on the top side, so had me wondering.

Re windshield - Yeah. I’d be happy to be wrong, working onsecond hand info, figured there’d be some knowledge in here on it. Needs a $300 (Napa) taillight assembly as well. Sucks. She has a decent job but, seems like bad engineering.

Does Rockauto have that taillight?

I'd avoid cheap aftermarket headlamps (optics can get pretty bad), but I'd think that would be less important on a taillight. Or maybe a junkyard OEM one?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks Chup I guess I might try it. The factory passenger side bracket doesn’t seem to press that well on the top side, so had me wondering.

Re windshield - Yeah. I’d be happy to be wrong, working onsecond hand info, figured there’d be some knowledge in here on it. Needs a $300 (Napa) taillight assembly as well. Sucks. She has a decent job but, seems like bad engineering.
    Any chance you have some local junkyards you can look into? Somebody smashed one of my taillight assemblies, backing up into it with a big pickup in a parking lot. Found a perfect match for very little money going that route.

Yeah we have a few. Never had the best luck at them, but they have some better online inventories now, might be worth a shot again.

Yeah we have a few. Never had the best luck at them, but they have some better online inventories now, might be worth a shot again.
    I actually found mine via a junkyard inventory website somebody here linked which lets you look up your vehicle and part and finds everyone in the local area with it, along with prices. I called the yard, confirmed they had it and made sure they'd honor their price listed online, and replaced it in like a minute right there in the parking lot.

I think this may have been the website if I'm not mistaken: https://www.car-part.com/

All of the decent local junkyards are housing developments now. The very few that are left aren't like the old style pick 'n pulls we used to have and they have a labor charge to remove parts. WTF good is it if I can't learn how to remove it? I need to replace a bunch of bushings and the control arms with new bushings are $1500 each in the rear and there are 4 of them Front is not as scary but still $400 or so. The bushings total out to about $400 and I need a press anyway so total cost if I can get used and refurbish ought to be about $6-700 plus about $200 for a cheap 10 ton press if I do it myself. The junkyard wants $500 in labor to remove the rears. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    All of the decent local junkyards are housing developments now. The very few that are left aren't like the old style pick 'n pulls we used to have and they have a labor charge to remove parts. WTF good is it if I can't learn how to remove it? I need to replace a bunch of bushings and the control arms with new bushings are $1500 each in the rear and there are 4 of them Front is not as scary but still $400 or so. The bushings total out to about $400 and I need a press anyway so total cost if I can get used and refurbish ought to be about $6-700 plus about $200 for a cheap 10 ton press if I do it myself. The junkyard wants $500 in labor to remove the rears. Ouch.
    There were too many YouTube mechanics that would break 15 parts on the way to get the one they needed. I don't blame them a bit.

IF the stud has just a few stripped/buggered threads you can clean it up with a die. Just figure out the thread pitch/bolt size and order it on amazon for about $10 and you'll be finished in 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    IF the stud has just a few stripped/buggered threads you can clean it up with a die. Just figure out the thread pitch/bolt size and order it on amazon for about $10 and you'll be finished in 10 minutes.
    That's a really good idea! My grandpa had a nice garage shop, and I was about 15 when he taught me how to use taps and dies for threading. He taught me a lot of other things, but to this day, using a tap or a die brings back strong memories of him.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    IMO, it's a good idea to send them an email and let them know. Be clear that you've taken care of it, but it's hard for management to correct employee behavior if they don't know about issues.

It's also hard if they don't care, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on the first mistake.
    I like this idea. I'll do this, so that they can talk about their employees about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Or spend 5 hrs on a 15 minute job. That is why we have this thread.

Get lunch, get fixed, no worries. I still disagree.
    In woodworking the joke goes "my wife wanted to buy a side table at the crafts market. I told her I could make it instead. It took three months and cost five times as much, but I finally finished it!"

The difference in car repairs is that you actually save a ton of money by doing them yourself! Prices are just ridiculous. But also, at least for me, part of doing maintenance or repairs myself is that for the most part, I know I'll be much more attentive to detail than someone for whom this is just another car in a long queue ('just get it done quickly and move on to the next one'). Really complicated things, I'll leave to the experts, but things that are just removing bolts, remove and replace offending part, and put bolts back on bringing the torque to spec, I can do that (I replaced the struts a couple of moths ago).

When thinking about the time I would spend having the shop repair their mistake, I would much rather do something else with my day (I placed the order online for a replacement wheel stud, $3.50, I ordered a couple extras to keep in the shop, and shipping was free), and for this repair I'm fairly sure that I'll do at least as good a job as the tire repair shop would.

I think you are doing the right thing. Changing the studs usually just takes a BFH and about 5 minutes. No need to take a chance on something so critical.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk