Page 116 of 234 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 5831
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Cool. Didn't know about IPD. Mine's an '08 and they didn't seem to have a loaded setup for mine, but saving the link anyway. Seems like a good resource!

After what ugly just said about his experience with KYB, perhaps I'll stick with OEM. Price really isn't bad for them anyway.
    It might be worth a call to ask advice, they have been Volvo after market performance folks since the 80's that I recall. If nothing else they can probably tell you what NOT TO BUY.
    You might take a look at Eeuroparts.com but be aware they have been known to substitute parts without approval.

If you don't want to do strut disassembly yourself (trying to avoid spring compressors), call your local shops and see what they'll charge you to do the spring swap from old struts to new. I did that once years ago on GF's car, before I had decent tools to do it myself. It was pretty cheap IIRC. And I think it was at Pep Boys, of all places.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dropped a fuckin nut into the oblivion of the body/frame buttcrack while changing out rear shocks. Can someone please tell me the exact number of miles from now it will rub a hole in my gas tank so I can prepare my getaway?

37 hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

At first I thought this was the After, with a trick new custom grill and the old ones on the ground for comparison. Sweet.

Than it continued… oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions on the DIY struts options. Until it prevents me from being able to use the vehicle for occasional day trips and car camping I'm going to just keep driving it with the klunking at speed bumps and big potholes. Ya, gotta go slower through the resort lots that are like the surface of the moon, but still fine for normal city and highway driving. No issues with tire wear or alignment... yet. I don't even have a good floor jack, run the same tires year round, etc. Dropping $2 grand plus for a smoother parking lot and off road experience ain't happening at this point. I'll trade it in before I drop that much cash for something that isn't absolutely essential to keep the thing drivable.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions on the DIY struts options. Until it prevents me from being able to use the vehicle for occasional day trips and car camping I'm going to just keep driving it with the klunking at speed bumps and big potholes. Ya, gotta go slower through the resort lots that are like the surface of the moon, but still fine for normal city and highway driving. No issues with tire wear or alignment... yet. I don't even have a good floor jack, run the same tires year round, etc. Dropping $2 grand plus for a smoother parking lot and off road experience ain't happening at this point. I'll trade it in before I drop that much cash for something that isn't absolutely essential to keep the thing drivable.
    If you have clunks over bumps it might just be sway bar end links/bushings, much cheaper and easier than struts.

Reading only this you have to be a Toyota owner. Tell me I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    At first I thought this was the After, with a trick new custom grill and the old ones on the ground for comparison. Sweet.

Than it continued… oh well.
    That would be one hell of a headlight swap. I am toying with making a template mold of the original grill, and playing with some cool custom options, like the new Bronco logo somehow incorporated with the old grill style. There is a local place that will make anything you can dream up in closed cell foam. Once I got it dialed, it would be easy enough to mold it in ABS or something. Just playing with ideas now. Not a big priority yet.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Reading only this you have to be a Toyota owner. Tell me I'm wrong.
    It's a Forester. Wife has a 2020 Corolla (oil change story that started this discussion) so technically I am also a Toyota owner and already mentioned recently here.

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    Dropped a fuckin nut into the oblivion of the body/frame buttcrack while changing out rear shocks. Can someone please tell me the exact number of miles from now it will rub a hole in my gas tank so I can prepare my getaway?
    Can't get it with a magnet retrieval tool? I use those things more than I'd care to admit.

It's a Forester. Wife has a 2020 Corolla (oil change story that started this discussion) so technically I am also a Toyota owner and already mentioned recently here.
    Close enough for me. Driving with blown suspension sounds horrible to me. $500 well spent if you can't DIY. No wonder I constantly see/hear people driving by with blown wheel bearings, bad brakes, bald tires and blown struts. It's just an appliance to some people especially Toyota drivers.

Close enough for me. Driving with blown suspension sounds horrible to me. $2500 well spent if you can't DIY. No wonder I constantly see/hear people driving by with blown wheel bearings, bad brakes, bald tires and blown struts. It's just an appliance to some people especially Toyota drivers.
    Fixed it for you. It's $1200 in parts for DIY. Everything else is good to go though.. I'd pay $500 in a second of that's all it really cost to have someone do it. Even the dealer said it's mostly just noise. The suspension itself is solid and 100% drivable as is. Handles fine at speed in corners too..

Fixed it for you. It's $1200 in parts for DIY. Everything else is good to go though.. I'd pay $500 in a second of that's all it really cost to have someone do it. Even the dealer said it's mostly just noise. The suspension itself is solid and 100% drivable as is. Handles fine at speed in corners too..
    I really don't have time to go back and find your OP about this. You can get coilovers for less than $1200.

I seriously doubt you need all 4 struts replaced. It is likely one or two. So yeah $500 at any decent mechanic. Replacing Subaru suspension or linkages is basic maintenance. Let us know when you have to fix that on an Audi or MB and cry about stupid high prices for multilinks and such

Yikes! Are those dealer prices? I'm about to do my parents geriatric Lexus and it's only about $100 per corner. Rockauto's got a full Munroe kit to re-do the entire suspension for about $400. Even my Volvo which is normally crazy expensive isn't near as bad as what you're seeing. Did my rear for about $140. Bout to do the front end now and that's about $500 for factory parts to totally re-do everything up there. Didn't realize Subarus could be so crazy expensive! That's like BMW prices.

Four KYB struts for a 2014 Forester are $250 plus ship from Rock Auto...so maybe $300.

Not sure where the 1200 comes from. Maybe that includes floor jack, stands and other needed tools.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Subaru are $100 per corner. This guy is just a basic car driver. Any auto shop can swap a MacPherson strut for cheap. 4 or 5 bolts and if done correctly you don't even need an alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Four KYB struts for a 2014 Forester are $250 plus ship from Rock Auto...so maybe $300.
    Not sure where the 1200 comes from. Maybe that includes floor jack, stands and other needed tools.
    Subaru are $100 per corner. This guy is just a basic car driver. Any auto shop can swap a MacPherson strut for cheap. 4 or 5 bolts and if done correctly you don't even need an alignment.
    Ok. That sounds more like it. This is why I love you guys. You all help me understand what is sane and what is unreasonable, which has definitely helped me in my efforts to tell my dealer to shove it when need be, or know what I can reasonably take care of on my own in my garage. Speaking of which, I have to take my car in to them tomorrow to have them program (VIN match) my new steering lock doohicky. More on that saga tomorrow after seeing how/if they'll actually help me out on that. Been about a two year battle with those a-holes on this one and they let me FINALLY schedule an appt for just the programming and not the labor since I told them I already freaking did it. Just need it programmed to work. That's it. They finally caved. Supposedly. Still not cheap. ...dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    300 X4=1200 I was thinking that was per strut, not all 4. Next time I'm at Midas I'll ask but hardly an issue with the ride currently. Just goes KLUNK on speed bumps.. that is all. We're on bare bones budget until 2nd kid is done with college who hasn't even started yet. It will be traded in before that.

Quick online estimate
    Labor

$1,577.48

Parts

$1,076.14

Tax

$64.57

Your total price

$2,979.00

$2,718.19

If you can do that for $500 I'll gladly hold your beer

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Ok. That sounds more like it. This is why I love you guys. You all help me understand what is sane and what is unreasonable, which has definitely helped me in my efforts to tell my dealer to shove it when need be, or know what I can reasonably take care of on my own in my garage. Speaking of which, I have to take my car in to them tomorrow to have them program (VIN match) my new steering lock doohicky. More on that saga tomorrow after seeing how/if they'll actually help me out on that. Been about a two year battle with those a-holes on this one and they let me FINALLY schedule an appt for just the programming and not the labor since I told them I already freaking did it. Just need it programmed to work. That's it. They finally caved. Supposedly. Still not cheap. ...dicks.
    Sounds like you need a good neighborhood mechanic. Fuck dealers unless you are under warranty.

300 X4=1200 I was thinking that was per strut, not all 4. Next time I'm at Midas I'll ask but hardly an issue with the ride currently. Just goes KLUNK on speed bumps.. that is all/
    Ah now you caught on. Midas can do it easily.

This is why I tell people don't get fancy electronically controlled suspension unless you can afford to replace it. Cheap MacPherson struts are commonly used for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Sounds like you need a good neighborhood mechanic. Fuck dealers unless you are under warranty.
    I actually have a good shop who treats me fairly on items I don't want to tackle. Unfortunately not the problem with this one. It's something only the dealer can do supposedly. I've even called every single Euro shop in town and they mirrored what my guy said. For a few particular items that have to be VIN matched, sadly the only main option is to go to dealer, where they know they have you by the balls for that particular thing. It's on this thing, the ICM (infotainment control module), and the ECU pretty much that are dealer only for programming.

Another route I'd be tempted to go is to get an old laptop I could dedicate to it, buy the interface link, pirate the dealer software, and go about it myself. Seen some success for people on the Volvo forums, but it ends up costing like twice as much as just letting them program and not sure how often I'll ever need that. Maybe if I started collecting V70Rs someday, I'd totally do that!!!

I could be wrong, though. Would LOVE for someone here with more Swedish experience to school me on this topic, but forums seem to mostly point to it kind of being a dealer only resolution.

Next time I'm at Midas I'll ask...
    Well, there's your problem, mister. Those guys are a hudge ripoff. (as a generalization)

Quick online estimate
    Labor - $1,577.48
    Parts - $1,076.14
    Your total price $2,979.00

If you can do that for $500 I'll gladly hold your beer
    Yeah, bro. That is WAAAAYYYYYYY out of whack with reality. Even a reputable indie shop should be able to do all that for like 1/3 the cost. I just looked on Rockauto for your car. You should be able to tackle that for anywhere from $283 for the basics to $459 for the upgraded models. Add in some misc parts and yeah, you'll be around the $500 ballpark easy.

Just goes KLUNK on speed bumps.. that is all. We're on bare bones budget until 2nd kid is done with college who hasn't even started yet. It will be traded in before that.
    Something to keep in mind, though. Suspension issues can add lots more stress to other components like your motor mounts (ask me how I know), and your car as a whole. While it's probably not any kind of emergency you have to tackle right now or anything, it IS something to just keep in mind and prepare to take care of at some point. Start buying components here and there, and when you have a free weekend to monkey around with it, maybe go for it.

Dude spends more time on an "online estimate" than just calling a shop or three for an "actual" estimate. Ask per wheel price. You don't need all four. I would be embarrassed if I was a kid watching his dad fumble through basic auto maintenance. College is gonna be free soon why save the money for it? Lol

Dude spends more time on an "online estimate" than just calling a shop or three for an "actual" estimate. Ask per wheel price. You don't need all four. I would be embarrassed if I was a kid watching his dad fumble through basic auto maintenance. College is gonna be free soon why save the money for it? Lol
    Dude don't even REALLY need need new struts to carry on as is. Tires still wear evenly. Nothing is sagging. Handles really well. Dude got a louder stereo last year instead. And I'll absolutely pay for what DOES NEED doing. Oil, filters, wiper blades, bulbs I do myself. Everything else someone else gets paid to skin their knuckles and deal with the broken off bolts.