Page 122 of 234 FirstFirst ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 5831
    Have fun and don't get tetanus!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Straight 30 weight oil. 5w30 is too thin. Wd40 way to thin. Grease is way too messy.

/oil wars

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

So bummed. Last night, my driver's side window came off the track and is stuck in the "down" position. I looked on-line and the repair is way beyond me. I called the dealer, but the first appointment is on Dec. 17! Fucking Porsche SLC. Since Strong sold to that Denver company, their service dept. has suffered.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I've always used red high pressure grease if possible on threaded pullers, I've put lots of pressure on my prop pullers trying to remove frozen props and figure it has to help.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I'm only a bit scared because that car's my only wheels these days so I have to bang it out kinda quick. Better not have any issues that require a trip to the store or I'm screwed. Haha. Scarier wrenching when you have no backup ride.
    This has been my problem since I got the Range Rover. The BRZ died, then the Durango got so scary to drive I sold it and now the RR is my only car. We do have a Forester but it's usually either with our daughter at work or my wife uses it to do stuff leaving me stranded with a truck on stands needing xxx so a simple stripped screw can add a day or more to a simple repair.

Just bit the bullet and ordered this Bilstein kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...ein-22182876kt
    and this coil spring compressor tool: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mcp...ol-lisle-62300
    Hoping to do the job this weekend. Wish me luck. I'm only a bit scared because that car's my only wheels these days so I have to bang it out kinda quick. Better not have any issues that require a trip to the store or I'm screwed. Haha. Scarier wrenching when you have no backup ride.
    Make sure to inspect ALL parts in the kit. FCP has been known to substitute parts without approval since they were sold. You do not want PPS for strut bearing or mounts. The two PPS parts listed in the kit doesn't matter in the process BUT you want quality parts on anything that will actually be weight bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Make sure to inspect ALL parts in the kit. FCP has been known to substitute parts without approval since they were sold. You do not want PPS for strut bearing or mounts. The two PPS parts listed in the kit doesn't matter in the process BUT you want quality parts on anything that will actually be weight bearing.
    Oh geez. Thanks for heads up. My last couple experiences with FCP have been excellent, but will be on the lookout for nonsense on this one for sure. So PPS sucks? Good to know. Have never bought any of their products.

Oh geez. Thanks for heads up. My last couple experiences with FCP have been excellent, but will be on the lookout for nonsense on this one for sure. So PPS sucks? Good to know. Have never bought any of their products.
    PPS make lots of after market stuff for Volvo and Saabs. ANYTHING other than basic products like bellow and bumper listed on that list should be avoided. FCP randomly replacing parts on orders has been pretty well documented on both Saab and Volvo boards. I recently ordered a radiator and some hoses and they did it to me and when I reached out their response was, " we replaced with a more expensive/better product". FUCK THEM, it was a radiator hose and the one one I received was in fact a few dollars more than the one I ordered but it felt like it was made out of a used Chinese commuter bike's inner tube. OTOH their prices and shipping prices are great and IF you call them out on any transgressions they will make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    So bummed. Last night, my driver's side window came off the track and is stuck in the "down" position. I looked on-line and the repair is way beyond me. I called the dealer, but the first appointment is on Dec. 17! Fucking Porsche SLC. Since Strong sold to that Denver company, their service dept. has suffered.
    Beyond you like you don't have the tools, or you don't see it going well?
    What year and model? I bet it isn't as tough as it looks, but I get not wanting to F it up and make it an even more expensive repair.

I don't see it going well. Getting the inside door panels off (there are at least two, if not three layers before the window). Other than changing fluids, t that I don't find complicated. here seems to be nothing in my 2013 turbo Cayenne that easy. It's not like re-aligning the window of a 1980 Bronco.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

No, I wouldn't think anything German would be like my Bronco.
    I looked it up, remembering it was a Cayenne. I saw something about drilling out rivets and stopped reading.
    Got any good 3rd party Euro shops in town?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    l
    Got any good 3rd party Euro shops in town?
    BobMc?

I would love to give BobMc all my whips to maintain, but I think he is about a bit far for me.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Balls. I looked it up and it has to be about the most sucky window regulator issue to deal with out there. Yikes! Freaking Germans. If my Audi's taught me one thing, it's that the engineers at VAG are some real pricks. Haha.

That said, you may also be looking at a window replacement if it's not just a snapped screw/rivet that holds the window to the regulator assembly. You'll have to tear everything apart to see what the situation is unfortunately. On the plus side, some videos showed some different methods that may be easier/harder depending on your model. Like one guy showed how you if take out some torx bolts on the side of the door, you can actually pull out the entire window and regulator assembly together all in one unit, flip it over, and it's way easier to work on it. That was an older model, though, so don't know how yours is.

Godspeed on this one, schindler. Godspeed.

As much of a vent as anything else:

My new-to-me E36 shit out a window regulator which wasn't any kind of shock since it was original. Drilling out the rivets was kind of annoying, especially when I realized I missed one that was hiding. What really sucked is when I realized the new window regulator I had was totally wrong. Turns out when I was searching on Autozone's website, it decided I was shopping for a '92 525i instead of a '95 325i even though I punched in all the info for the E36. At some point it just switched cars and I didn't notice before I checked out.

Don't you love when you get a frustrating job all done and take it for a test drive and realize you forgot to plug something back in so it has to come apart again? Yeah... It was 65° and beautiful yesterday, now it's 40° and windy and it rained last night so the driveway is gonna be wet all day. Yay fun

...and of course once that problem was corrected I head for the shop to get the annual inspection and it threw a few codes = fail @Aldo it's the same lean codes since we "solved" it before. Ideas?

Lean? What car, intake manifold or intake hose after the maf leaks

Range Rover with a supercharged Jaguar motor. MAF readings are spot on, everything is actually except the long term fuel trim is all over the place. It jumps from bank 1 to 2, sometimes it's a p0171 and others it's a p0174 and I never know when it's gonna pop. I did over 200 miles today and it didn't come back so I'll try the inspection again in the morning. The only indication is sometimes when it starts it can be a little lumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Range Rover with a supercharged Jaguar motor. MAF readings are spot on, everything is actually except the long term fuel trim is all over the place. It jumps from bank 1 to 2, sometimes it's a p0171 and others it's a p0174 and I never know when it's gonna pop. I did over 200 miles today and it didn't come back so I'll try the inspection again in the morning. The only indication is sometimes when it starts it can be a little lumpy.
    Fuel issue? I had a brand new fuel filter load up with shit once and it acted a lot like that.

I hope not, the filter is integrated into the pump which is in the tank and it ain't cheap.

So..

Two days ago wife told me her '15 sienna is "rattling".

I took it for a drive, and holy shit! Above 20mph this shis is more than a rattle.

Finally got it up to look underneath and there were two issues.

#1: Easy. Buncha gravel caught up under a plastic skid plate.

Gravel removed.

#2: Harder than it should be, and fkn ridiculous.

A 5' kids parachute toy has somehow managed to wrap itself around the driveshaft, clunking its way against the underbody every rotation..

I got after it with scissors and a box cutter, but can't seem to get it all off.

My instict is to burn the fucker out with a propane torch, but therein lies my question.

I don't know enough about the underbelly of these Siennas.

Can I put a torch on the driveshaft without fucking anything else up?

(Except myself... trust me, I'm being VERY careful around fire!)

What's next??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211129_155344.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	394524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211129_155348.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	394525

Cut it off. No torch. If those are fuel lines adjacent, torch = bad.

If those are brake lines adjacent, torch = you're going to be changing brake fluid right after.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Cut it off. No torch. If those are fuel lines adjacent, torch = bad.

If those are brake lines adjacent, torch = you're going to be changing brake fluid right after.
    This, those lines right above probably don't like to be boiled. Just go buy a new box of utility blades and start slicing a few layers at a time. You might insert something under the fabric to create tension for easier slicing.

Razor knife, as many passes as required. Blade will be toast, but you will get it all.