Page 64 of 236 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Gotta replace the manual hubs on the 96 f250. Is it as easy as it looks?
    I did it on my old Willys and don't remember it being too challenging. The early 90's are a little fuzzy though

Gotta replace the manual hubs on the 96 f250. Is it as easy as it looks?
    Yeah, unless the torx screws have welded themselves in. You'll need some snap ring pliers. Replace with Warn hubs. Mile Markers are weak sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Yeah, unless the torx screws have welded themselves in. You'll need some snap ring pliers. Replace with Warn hubs. Mile Markers are weak sauce.
    I used to agree with you, then over 2 trucks the hub locks froze in really cold weather (warn's are plastic) and I switched over to SS mile markers. No problems from then on out.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I used to agree with you, then over 2 trucks the hub locks froze in really cold weather (warn's are plastic) and I switched over to SS mile markers. No problems from then on out.
    Warn premiums are also all metal.

I don't know if they still make them but it's actually nice to have the 1/4 turns instead of the full turns. The stupid keychain "key" is pretty sweet when they're being cold or stubborn. And only ever bought the all metal warns.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

In really cold weather my hubs stay locked...

But when I had them out for other work last January, I put a thin layer of waterproof Archoil grease on them.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Boy howdy, those snap ring pliars would have been really nice for the smaller ring inside. Ended up using needle nose with two pieces of 1" tube to lever them open.

Got Mile Markers from the local shop (I was short on time) and so far so good after about 3 hours plowing.

Boy howdy, those snap ring pliars would have been really nice for the smaller ring inside. Ended up using needle nose with two pieces of 1" tube to lever them open.

Got Mile Markers from the local shop (I was short on time) and so far so good after about 3 hours plowing.

Snap ring pliers are one of ChannelLock brand's best tools. Switch-selectable pinch or spread when you squeeze, replaceable tips, good reach, everyone carries them, made in USA, $29.

Not really a huge Hazard Fraught fan, but damn was this a good purchase a couple of years ago. Great set.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Precis...-Pc-63841.html
    sigless.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Damn. Cracked manifold in the SkiBumMobile.
    Very effective at screwing up tomorrow’s ski day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8414.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	796.9 KB 
ID:	305203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8416.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	305217
    Last edited by powdrhound; 12-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.

^^^wow. Now that is a crack!

So for the dad patrol out there, I spent the entire day in the garage with my 17 YO stepson who had the 'incident' with my (now his) Subaru and wrecked the front left suspension. It was a good day, I think he learned a lot, he stuck with the job, and we bolted it back together with all the new suspension, and brake parts from Rock Auto. Drives straight as an arrow. Color me surprised.

This gave me the reason I needed to buy the Harbor Freight inner tie rod tool. What a cool tool for $30 ish bucks! Feels quality and works perfect.

He spray painted the fender where it was scrubbed down to bare metal. It looks okay. Passes the 50 feet or 5 mph eye test and makes the car look like it is maintained and will keep it from instantly rusting.

242k and still ticking after its first ever encounter with a stationary object. Stepson 0 Subaru 1. Tough little wagons. Life lesson delivered I hope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice work UM. Quality time and lessons for sure.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Can’t beat the sense of accomplishment you get from doing a job like that. I’ll bet he was bragging to his bros at the HS about his weekend knuckle busting.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Nice work UM. Quality time and lessons for sure.

sent from Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Can’t beat the sense of accomplishment you get from doing a job like that. I’ll bet he was bragging to his bros at the HS about his weekend knuckle busting.
    Right on guys. I am thinking the same thing. It was a good day. He was restricted to school/athletics driving for the two weeks it was out of service and forced to find rides from friends for other stuff so he was very interested to help get the job done and get his ride and freedom back.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Right on guys. I am thinking the same thing. It was a good day. He was restricted to school/athletics driving for the two weeks it was out of service and forced to find rides from friends for other stuff so he was very interested to help get the job done and get his ride and freedom back.

If he/you are a stickler you can probably find a color matched used fender for around $100 that you can replace pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    If he/you are a stickler you can probably find a color matched used fender for around $100 that you can replace pretty easily.
    Not on this car. It has lived in Saltowa for 17 years. Just need it to look maintained.

Looked at a friends Audi Allroad because she was having trouble moving the shifter (automatic), the shift lock was working allowing into go into reverse but wouldn't let the shifter back to drive. It felt like the cable was binding but there were no kinks or problems with the cable, when I had my hand up by the shift lever on the transmission I could feel something that didn't belong there, and a few plum pit shells fell out, then a few more, finally ending up with a coffee can full of them. Turns out a rat was eating the pits and leaving the shells on the transmission where they fell onto the shift lever eventually preventing it from moving.

Thanksgiving day the Diamante wagon didn't want to start, thought it was the battery at first but it tested good and decided it was the starter after tapping on it and it gave one last crank before giving up for good. Pulled it out after the weekend and had the new one installed in less than 20 minutes, Maybe one of the easiest starters I've done and maybe the only easy things to get to on that car.

Sitting in dead standstill Little Cottonwood Canyon traffic headed up for a pow day last Sunday my battery / alternator light pops on. Then the lights start getting dim a windshield wiper slows. No ski for me... last night I installed a new Bosch alternator that is the right one for my car, much to BobMc's delight. Holycrap that extra 10 amps makes for bright headlights!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191210_174542.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	305749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191210_174728.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	305750
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Figured you guys my appreciate this. My buddy is the manager of Lyfe motorsport in SLC. So much go fast under one roof. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191210_144604.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	305751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191210_144537.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	305752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191210_144541.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	305753
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

when diodes begin to fail one by one the available output voltage drops, the difference youre most likely noticing is your system operating back up in the 14v range.

So we parked our 06 Outback a year and a half ago because the rear brake lines had rotted out and one of the calipers seized. Now we need it back on the road. I've been running it occasionally and I'd milk it up and down the (dead end) street to keep things moving so it's mostly ok. As I'm digging around I see that full (4 wheel) brake kits with new soft lines, calipers, rotors and pads run about $350, more for powder coated black and less for red with vented rotors. Am I crazy to think that I can just unbolt the old stuff, bolt the new stuff in, bleed 'em and it's good to go? I feel like I'm about to disable the car on jack stands if I try to do this solo. I have a client that can make custom braided steel lines for me for cheap if I want so I might go that way if y'all think braided lines are a good idea.

I have a garage to use so it'll be flat, dry and sorta warm, I want to try to get this done in the next few weeks so we can use the car for a road trip first weekend of February. I'm gonna do new tires too. What else? Upper and lower radiator hoses maybe, the serpentine belt and plugs done not long before it was parked...

I've done a complete set for the 05 Legacy and not that complicated. There's a lot of good info on the internet and I'm sure pic's too. Tough nuts will be encountered on the brake assemblies but all mine broke free without much problem. I use a 16", 5/8 I.D. black iron pipe to extend the ratchet handle for extra torque and it helped a lot. Bleeding and topping off brake fluid is best done with a helper to apply the brake as you drain, then re-tighten the bleed screws. Watch the reservoir level as you recharge the system, keep it from going dry and start with the closest caliper to the reservoir. Progressively do each one from nearest to farthest. It was a project I feared but not that bad once you belly up & realize it's a dirty, sometimes hard thing but far from rocket science.

I would avoid the braided stainless steel lines in winter/salt environments. The grime gets in the braids and they go to shit. Just stick with brand name rubber brake lines.

That's a good point I wouldn't have thought about. Sounds like Raybestos or Centric from Rock Auto ought to do it. Anyone have any experience with Callahan reman calipers? Those look to be the popular ones in the kits on Amazon like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 4.19.06 PM.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	822.9 KB 
ID:	305838

I'm going to pick up one of those power bleeder things because I don't expect to have anyone around to help, the garage I have access to is in my FIL's empty home in a mostly senior development. I thought bleeding sequence is farthest to closest, I've been told to start with right rear.

you mean hoses?

you can still bleed brake calipers by yourself without speed bleeders. crack the hoses and run a clear line down into a container with the end submersed in a couple inches of brake fluid and pump away.