Page 5 of 233 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    $37

You should get a new trouble light, those incandescent ones are dangerous to work around cars with.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    You should get a new trouble light, those incandescent ones are dangerous to work around cars with.
    No joke. Guy I went to HS with got 3rd degree burns on something like half his body. Drop of gas landed on the bulb and ignited the tank...

It's got one of those twirly light bulbs in it, not an incandescent one. And I have another one that is a long skinny fluorescent. No incandescent bulbs in my garage.
    sigless.

More pics...

sigless.

If you're that far in it might not be a bad idea to replace that thermostat housing, the bottom hose fitting has a habit of loosening in it's bore and coming out, it looks like it's leaking there already. Iirc you might have to pop the injector rail up a bit to get it out, otherwise pretty straight forward.

Good on the no incandescent, lotta shops have burned down from those things.

Yeah, I was gonna a pull the housing, I have new gaskets sitting on the bench.
    sigless.

My 98 chevy auto with 454 motor needed brake work. Shit that thing has more torque at idle than my yota hilux did at wot. So I asked my boss if his mechanic was busy. Boss said he'd chargee him out at $30 per hour ... sold !!! I wish I got him to do a total full service.. I was working 10-12 hour days so it seemed like a good deal so I could sled weekends. Mechanic said it was a bitch to work on .... I bet it was.. shop rates here are $100+ per hour .... fark tthat ...

Snapped this pic a few months back. Guy said it was his wife's first car.

So my 351M is using a lot of oil but not visibly leaking or smoking. Good oil pressure, runs like a scalded ape, but also has a maddening lifter tick....or what sounds to me like a lifter tick. I'm on a tight budget...considering doing a day or two worth of fiddling around pulling the intake and replacing lifters, pushrods, and valve guide seals.

Buddy also speculated the stock ford fuel pump may push fuel through the edelbrock carb, leading to gassy fuel and subsequent thinning and burnoff.

Any thoughts, intertoob geniuses?

Before too do all that work, I'd do a leak down test? Can the valves be adjusted or shimmed?
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Before too do all that work, I'd do a leak down test? Can the valves be adjusted or shimmed?
    adjusted no. Shimmed = "I think so".

leakdown test will go on the agenda.

Yay for powder coating.
    I was thinking of sanding the raised edges off to be aluminum colored, but I am lazy, and actually quite like the all black.
    I may have a semi.

I lied.
    I couldn't be bothered to do this last weekend.
    Blame the gin.

I do enjoy using the proper tools for the job.

Getting that 18 year old gasket off took the better part of an hour.

[

Does blood bettter approximate to Locktite red or blue?

Anyone who thinks a PC in the garage is a bad idea is fucking wrong.

Boom. I'm sure that's just coincidence.

Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 06-03-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    So my 351M is using a lot of oil but not visibly leaking or smoking. Good oil pressure, runs like a scalded ape, but also has a maddening lifter tick....or what sounds to me like a lifter tick. I'm on a tight budget...considering doing a day or two worth of fiddling around pulling the intake and replacing lifters, pushrods, and valve guide seals.

Buddy also speculated the stock ford fuel pump may push fuel through the edelbrock carb, leading to gassy fuel and subsequent thinning and burnoff.

Any thoughts, intertoob geniuses?
    What is a lot of oil? Catalytic converter? Any smoke or pressure from the crankcase?

Do you mean buddy thinks gas is making it into the crankcase? I'm not sure any fuel evaporation would take oil with it, and it seems more like a significant amount of fuel making it into the crankcase would increase the fluid level seen on the dipstick ('make oil') as opposed to reduce it.

Nice work on the LR water pump. Looks like the garage might be cool, too.

Yeah I need to get a designated laptop for the garage. Indispensable these days. Oh, and your mom, you might want to look into some of these....

Cheap Cheap Cheap, comfy, good grip and dexterity, goodbye skinned knuckles, burned hands, and dirty hands.
    sigless.

Yeah I need to get a designated laptop for the garage. Indispensable these days. Oh, and your mom, you might want to look into some of these....

Cheap Cheap Cheap, comfy, good grip and dexterity, goodbye skinned knuckles, burned hands, and dirty hands.
    The garage PC has been invaluable for keeping PDFs of all the manuals, tunes, as well as allowing me to consult the forums for quick info. For instance, yesterday it only took me thirty seconds to confirm my belt routing was correct before I reapplied the tensioner.

I'd stay away from a laptop though, I usually just grab an an old corporate pc for a $100 or so off of eBay and pair it with an old 4x3 LCD monitor from the classifieds, a cheap keyboard and track ball mouse. I'd worry that a laptop would get goobered up too easily.

As for gloves, I've tried but can't deal with the feel. My hands are already ruined from work and mountain biking so the occasional bleeder isn't a big deal. OTOH, not being able to finger and the wife for a few days might be interesting.
    Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 06-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What is a lot of oil? Catalytic converter? Any smoke or pressure from the crankcase?

Do you mean buddy thinks gas is making it into the crankcase? I'm not sure any fuel evaporation would take oil with it, and it seems more like a significant amount of fuel making it into the crankcase would increase the fluid level seen on the dipstick ('make oil') as opposed to reduce it.
    A lot of oil like a quart in 300 miles or thereabouts. No cats, headers to duals.
    Yes, gas thinning the oil was a guess as to why it's using so much. It's giving me no reason to believe there's a lot of blow by. Again, it doesn't smoke or leak and the plugs don't show rich or oil-fouled. I don't know...it's not a big deal really, I guess.

Still crackin on the little 325. Watched a movie with the kids and took the opportunity to remove the old cracked leather from the rear seats. New upholstery for front and rear seats should arrive by Monday next week. Not looking forward to it honestly. Fucking nightmares about hog rings. I did a pair of Porsche seats back when I was like 19, and they turned out pretty nice, but what a pain in the ass it was. The pics below show the seat covers that came on the car over top of the leather, really not too bad of a cover, but not what I am looking for for a finished car.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    A lot of oil like a quart in 300 miles or thereabouts. No cats, headers to duals.
    Yes, gas thinning the oil was a guess as to why it's using so much. It's giving me no reason to believe there's a lot of blow by. Again, it doesn't smoke or leak and the plugs don't show rich or oil-fouled. I don't know...it's not a big deal really, I guess.
    The old fuel in the oil trick on 351M's is due to the mechanical fuel pump ' s diaphragm leaking fuel into the crankcase. Pull the filler cap off and stick your nose in the hole. A minor hint of gas smell is normal. If it makes your eyes water, you need a pump. Bonus points for fixing before you eat a bearing (gasoline is a really poor lubricant)

There are some dudes that can wrench, and then there are mother Fuckers who can WRENCH!
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=370906
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    The old fuel in the oil trick on 351M's is due to the mechanical fuel pump ' s diaphragm leaking fuel into the crankcase. Pull the filler cap off and stick your nose in the hole. A minor hint of gas smell is normal. If it makes your eyes water, you need a pump. Bonus points for fixing before you eat a bearing (gasoline is a really poor lubricant)
    That'll be easy....I always have an extra diaphragm in my purse.

Anyway, thanks mang...that had never occurred to me...I'll get on it.

In other news, went in deep today and installed some new lifters. I just can't take photos while I'm in that mode, and for that I'm sorry. Rig is not what I would call sewing machine quiet, which would have been so sweet, but one of those lifters that came out was for sure bad. I'm blaming a fried and disintegrated rubber piece of gasket between the turkey pan and the block that appears to have shed a bunch of chunks into the gallery. The whole process was pretty easy except for hours of cleaning that fucking shit out of everything.

Also...truck ran but didn't run right when I got it back together...ran enough to do a break in run for the new flat tappets....but it's a sick feeling when you get it all back together after hours and it doesn't run well. I had assumed two vacuum ports were interchangeable...they were not. Switcho fixo...omg, thank you baby jeezus.

Maybe next will be an electric fuel pump....and a 1-wire HEI distributor.

FKNA. There's really not much you can't find an answer for on TGR.

Well this is unrelated to all your deep shit going on here, but I have a 4Runner, and while I was changing my differential fluids for the first time today, I noticed that either Toyota or Redline are bullshiting about their volumes. My rear differential, according to Toyota, takes 2.75-2.85 quarts, and should be filled until leaking out the fill, driven a short distance, checked again, and topped off if necessary. It took over 3 "quarts" of Redline to get it to leak, and after driving and re-checking, I was able to get 4 full Redline "quarts" in my rear differential.