Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I pulled the HVAC blower motor on my GMC Sierra to see if there were any obstructions/ mouse nests/ whatever that would explain the low-ish air flow. Didn't see anything major, so that mystery remains unsolved.

But I discovered that this truck has footwell lighting. The bulb on both sides was burnt out. Replaced both, and voila!

.... I've owned this truck for 6 years, and only just now found out about the burnt-out light bulbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I pulled the HVAC blower motor on my GMC Sierra to see if there were any obstructions/ mouse nests/ whatever that would explain the low-ish air flow. Didn't see anything major, so that mystery remains unsolved.s.
    Did you check the blower motor resistor? Turns out GM had a recall on these things from the mod 00's.

Basically resistor melts and the fan switch only allows motor to spin at one speed regardless of where you set the control. Had this problem in 02 Dakota. Reasonably easy fix.

I vaguely recall going on about this in a TGR thread not too long ago so forgive me for repeating myself.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I replaced a fuse in a Range Rover this weekend.
    I did this once in my old Discovery.

It led to a cascade of other electrical issues and uncontrollable swearing never stopped until I traded it in.

Godspeed.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Did you check the blower motor resistor? Turns out GM had a recall on these things from the mod 00's.

Basically resistor melts and the fan switch only allows motor to spin at one speed regardless of where you set the control. Had this problem in 02 Dakota. Reasonably easy fix.

I vaguely recall going on about this in a TGR thread not too long ago so forgive me for repeating myself.
    Already replaced that, couple years ago.

The fan speed works on all speeds and the selector between output (windshield, face, feet, etc) works. It just doesn't blow very strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

flathead.jpg

My buddy texts me to ask if "wana go cat sking" which I know really means "do you wana attempt to get my 62 tucker snowcat to run and maybe some skiing?"

got part way up the praire T before we had fuel issues so we had the oil bath air cleaner off, pulled the top of the carb fiddled with the float, I noticed most of the spark leads actully did not clip to the plugs so I crimped them with the back of a cresent wrench (all we had were some cresent wrenches and a big screwdriver)

not much skiing but an interesting time and eventualy we got higher than ever before ... all the way to the top of the bunny T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flathead.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	983.4 KB 
ID:	206750  
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

my buddy has 2 old Tuckers one for parts apparently this is the good one but still its been worked on way more than its been driven, fortunately one of our ski buds is a welder so the pontoons and the tracks have had a bunch of repairs so now the tracks are good but we had the fuel issues, which turned out to be smoo in the aluminium fuel tank clogging the fuel lines which we cleared but by then the battery was dead so had to walk down and pull a charged one from one of the trucks

so far they have never had to leave it in the mountains ... but this time was close
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tucker  snowcat.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	628.2 KB 
ID:	206751  

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I did this once in my old Discovery.

It led to a cascade of other electrical issues and uncontrollable swearing never stopped until I traded it in.

Godspeed.
    In the RR, you can't just replace the rear brake light bulb with one from the local parts store. Even if the generic one fits and is the same wattage, unless you use the correct one from LR, the whole electrical system will go beserk.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Winter is not nice to cars.. complex job, but noobs gotta start somewhere.

Saved the gf a few shekels

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    my buddy has 2 old Tuckers one for parts apparently this is the good one but still its been worked on way more than its been driven, fortunately one of our ski buds is a welder so the pontoons and the tracks have had a bunch of repairs so now the tracks are good but we had the fuel issues, which turned out to be smoo in the aluminium fuel tank clogging the fuel lines which we cleared but by then the battery was dead so had to walk down and pull a charged one from one of the trucks

so far they have never had to leave it in the mountains ... but this time was close

So I take it you're not the guy who had to posthole up the hill carrying a truck battery?

no that was buddy who owns the Tucker !

AND he was actualy wearing cutoffs & Teva's !

You haven't lived until you've done a heater core on a chevy blazer

Nice XXX. Pretty sure Tucker's are still being made in Ashland OR

no that was buddy who owns the Tucker !

AND he was actualy wearing cutoffs & Teva's !

Good thinkin'! That probably kept his blood cool enough to sustain his heart rate for longer. But he should rightly expect a shitstorm from Chaco-influenced Colorado mags or Utah Keeners for his sandalular behaviors.

The first Tucker I ever rode in had a Detroit 653. We loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    As long as it's the exact same length. It doesn't matter if the tranny is the exact same. Your current dipstick shows only about a centimeter between "Full" and "Add 1 Pint", the original may have shown less. So 5mm difference in dipstick length is important.

If in doubt, overfill the fucker and burn up a long grade with a jeepload of fatasses. This should heat things up enough that the excess will exit the transmission somehow and set things to rights in there.
    Good to know. I found the specs on line and compared it later to another 4.0 with the same tranny.

Replaced the front sway bar ends on Saturday. I liked that job. Sitting down with a wrench in your hand and plenty of room to swing it. Next up is to make sure the wheels will still come off. The first time I had to loosen the lugs, head out of the driveway and saw the steering wheel back and forth. Works every time. Then add anti- seize lube.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Nice XXX. Pretty sure Tucker's are still being made in Ashland OR
    http://www.sno-cat.com/

Google shows the present day tucker to look pretty modern but they still use the 4 pontoons instead of just 2 tracks like all the snow packers you see at ski areas but now they have rubber tracks instead of steel

The old 62 reminds me of an old truck, there is just room in the cab for 2 and the flat head engine with 4 spd manual trans is pretty old school

Oil and fuel filters for the fuel oil burner.

Also picked up a set of stainless Ashcroft gauges to make diesel and gasoline compression testers. Seems like compression testers sold in stores or even on the trucks have poor to mediocre gauges.

Didn't take any pictures, but pulled the radiator and fan out of the little bimmer, also yanked the valve over off. Going to do a valve adjustment, and get the cover powder coated black.
    Ordered $1100 in parts, new springs and shocks, and a grip of water pump timing belt while you are in theres.
    sigless.

Sweet jesus when did plugs and plug wires become such a mission. I just did them on the 07 outback because it was missing on cyl 3 and I could see the spark arcing to the coil. But (shifting to old dude voice) getting to the spark plugs and then coaxing the boots off of the plugs was a real multi hour freaking ordeal. Back in the day it took 10 minutes (of course it had to be done every few thousand miles too.) I may have to rescind my subi recommendation in the Rontele car thread.

Working on the tucker buddy asked me to pull a plug to see what it looks like but all we had was 2 crescent wrench's and a big screwdriver ... I did it with a cresent wrench on the flat head 6

and all the 50 yr old leads were so loose they fell off

Things were simple er back in 62 ... sex was dirty and the bras were pointy

Things were simple er back in 62 ... sex was dirty
    ahh the good old days ...

Playing with one of those old flatheads looks like a lot of fun.

Just had an experience that someone might benefit from. Took a couple of dead Diehards out of my FZJ80 back to Sears for replacement not sure if they were even under warranty. Dude says leave them and they'll test them throughout the day. I come back and he says they're good. I just went through everything electrical on it and tested the starter, solenoids, alternator, etc and all was good and I told him that. He picked up two matching batteries from the dead pile pallet and got bad result print outs for their system and gave me two new Diehard Golds (about $400 worth for the pair). I was expecting to drop some cash but pretty stoked not to.

Cool of the guy. Too bad Sears is in the shitter because exchanges on batteries and tools make them a valuable resource.

Friend of mine purchased a battery from a Firestone service center over 20 years ago. He also purchased a lifetime warranty to go along with it. Employees look at him a little funny when he goes in every few years but Firestone is still replacing that battery.

Sounds like a classy guy

I've been buying batteries at the local interstate battery store. (I take care of the family fleet of cars and trucks). The blems are about $65 they give a 24 month warranty and are fully tested. The oldest one is more than three years old without a hint of trouble. I figure I'm well over $300 to the good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Edit. taking back the bad mojo. good luck.
    What did you say? I missed it. Bad mouthing the Jeep, hunting, both?