Page 2 of 233 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    How about the raw steel where you made your cuts?
    Hood is aluminium and I painted all those edges. Actually painted a small 1/4" border around the cut the same color as the louvers. some parts of the hood are visible where the louvers are cut to allow them to bend. The white would had made these small patches really stick out.

I was wrenchin on this ol girl today...just a new battery and a fuse did the trick. You know there's a reason they took these things off the market in the '80s, they are kinda tippy! Good for spraying weeds though, and fun to fool around on carefully. 1981 Yamaha 200.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I was wrenchin on this ol girl today...just a new battery and a fuse did the trick. You know there's a reason they took these things off the market in the '80s, they are kinda tippy! Good for spraying weeds though, and fun to fool around on carefully. 1981 Yamaha 200.
    After using a snowblower to clear my lot for the last few years I got tired of having to spend powder days blowing instead of enjoying snow.

I picked up an older 4 wheeler with a plow, it just so happens it also doubles as a fun as fuck desert destroying device.

We do the auto stuff for a living, it's gonna be fun wrenching on this thing. First up is figuring out why the 4wd doesn't engage and then I'm sure I'll work through it much like my 330xi. (Which is handling nicely once I got all the Bilsteins installed)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	206292

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Finally got around to putting new plugs in my 2000 TJ. Didn't notice any change in performance.
    Attachment 206229
    Nice. You would've noticed a change in performance if you kept driving on those old plugs much longer, surprised it still ran.

Gas mileage stayed a steady 16ish. Performance wise, it seems to have some good days and some not as good days. Like me.

It's got some quirks.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5003515
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Getting ready to do rear wheel bearings on our 07 Outback today. It'll be one or both, hard to diagnose on the car, but getting that shitty wheel groan/hum that's hard to deny). Doing rear brakes while I'm at it. Hate screwing with bearings always a 10 round slugfest.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Yeah, wheel bearings can suck! Maybe a slide hammer, get it in there and pound away. Paging viva...
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Getting ready to do rear wheel bearings on our 07 Outback today. It'll be one or both, hard to diagnose on the car, but getting that shitty wheel groan/hum that's hard to deny). Doing rear brakes while I'm at it. Hate screwing with bearings always a 10 round slugfest.

Pack the new ones with Dupont teflon grease. It's the kine.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon.../dp/B003UTZ4SG

Pumped my own gas today - Built not Bought

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    07 Outback has hub assemblies on the back, pretty easy to change, sometimes they stick in the arm a bit but nothing too difficult. To diag which one is noisy get the car in the air so you can spin the tires. Grab the spring and spin the tire, any coarseness in the bearing will be transmitted to the spring and easily felt.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    07 Outback has hub assemblies on the back, pretty easy to change, sometimes they stick in the arm a bit but nothing too difficult. To diag which one is noisy get the car in the air so you can spin the tires. Grab the spring and spin the tire, any coarseness in the bearing will be transmitted to the spring and easily felt.
    Thanks Bob I know you do a ton of work on Subies. Seems like wheel bearings are a weak spot on these cars. For me The diagnosis on this problems been kinda tough so I jacked the rear end up yesterday, both wheels in the air and the car in neutral and the passenger wheel was so hard to turn that I thought the caliper might be seized. I figure that was enough evidence to go ahead and take it apart and have a good look at the wheel bearing hub assembly. The driver's side was easier and it should be I had a shop do it a couple of years ago.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Got the valve covers back on, and all the cooling system hooked up. Gotta top off fluids and install the the tie rods.
    sigless.

Those Beamer coilpacs look like the HEUI injectors in 7.3 Powerstrokes (and CAT E series...).

She's alive! Love it when you hook everything back up, and first crank, bam, she starts.

Edit, Topped off fluids this morning, let her run in the driveway for a while, no major puddles underneath, and she took me in to work this morning without any drama. 5 series cars are so nice.
    Last edited by basinbeater; 05-17-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    sigless.

Anyone know of a manual (or manuals) for an 06 GMC 3500 LBZ? I have the Haynes manual for the 6.6L engine, but that leaves a lot of YouTube searching - while I've been able to find many answers, there's also a million wrong search results and I really enjoy reading the manuals for insight into a vehicle.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Great timing for this thread. I've got a front wheel bearing going bad on my Mazda protege. Did some ill-advised driving to a trailhead on a FS road with big icy ruts and it starting humming the next day. I'll probably do the ball joint and tie rod ends as well since it's all coming apart.

So the 540i is humming along nicely, handled a drive to work and a high speed shot to park city this afternoon.
    Next in the garage is the e30 vert...
    Gonna do the waterpump, timing belt, tensioner, seals, Coolant hoses, and adjust the valves. Runs well, but valves are a little noisy, and who knows when the timing belt was done.
    Needs new shocks, and some cosmetic stuff, but only 67k on the odo...
    sigless.

Posting here because basinbeater recommended it. Back in August of 2014, I bought his MR2 Turbo, and I've been driving it ever since. I stumbled across an ad on this site for the same car, which was bizarre, as I didn't immediately recognize it as the exact car I own today. Unfortunately, because this account's new, I can't embed images or link to the old ad.

Hey splat, tgr420, or one of you other all powerful peeps, let's get this kid some credentials yo.
    sigless.

Umm I replaced the side view mirror my dad destroyed when he used our car to get us at the airport. Not much of a wrench but saved a few hundred plus by ordering a new mirror assembly then changing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by m6d288 View Post
    Posting here because basinbeater recommended it. Back in August of 2014, I bought his MR2 Turbo, and I've been driving it ever since. I stumbled across an ad on this site for the same car, which was bizarre, as I didn't immediately recognize it as the exact car I own today. Unfortunately, because this account's new, I can't embed images or link to the old ad.
    go forth and post in any thread. hopefully give. Raise your count. Then you can embed. Go. Now. Post.

As long as I'm here. Checked the trany fluid and it took 2 pints. The trans fluid hose to the radiator is weeping so that's next.

I should change the instructions to "Check in Nutral" I lost the dip stick and altered one from a Chevy V8 to work.

Name:	KIMG0871.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	206672

Not much of a wrench, but when taking old Jeeps on 1.5 hour road trips, check all fluids.
    I checked the oil only. Brake peddle went to mush on me in the woods. We were out hog hunting in the swamp with Manny Puig from Jackass. Hauled 4 guys out to the orange grove, and between the brakes almost failing, and the tires in the back rubbing like a bitch, I put together a list of stuff to do to the Jeep. New OME springs are being ordered, and brakes are being flushed by a pro. I added fluid and did my ghetto bleed technique, but I want to put a pro on them and see how much they can improve the performance.
    Last edited by warthog; 05-23-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Not much of a wrench, but when taking old Jeeps on 1.5 hour road trips, check all fluids.
    I checked the oil only. Brake peddle went to mush on me in the woods. We were out hog hunting in the swamp with Manny Puig from Jackass. Hauled 4 guys out to the orange grove, and between the brakes almost failing, and the tires in the back rubbing like a bitch, I put together a list of stuff to do to the Jeep. New OME springs are being ordered, and brakes are being flushed by a pro. I added fluid and did my ghetto bleed technique, but I want to put a pro on them and see how much they can improve the performance.

Edit. taking back the bad mojo. good luck.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    As long as I'm here. Checked the trany fluid and it took 2 pints. The trans fluid hose to the radiator is weeping so that's next.

I should change the instructions to "Check in Nutral" I lost the dip stick and altered one from a Chevy V8 to work.

Name:	KIMG0871.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	206672
    As long as it's the exact same length. It doesn't matter if the tranny is the exact same. Your current dipstick shows only about a centimeter between "Full" and "Add 1 Pint", the original may have shown less. So 5mm difference in dipstick length is important.

If in doubt, overfill the fucker and burn up a long grade with a jeepload of fatasses. This should heat things up enough that the excess will exit the transmission somehow and set things to rights in there.