Page 21 of 236 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Look at the fucking seat control box underneath a Porsche 928 S4 seat. What the fuck? Could they try to make it more complicated?

I cleaned up a bunch of the solder joints.

sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Any ideas on the sound?
    Did you try spinning the wheels while raised to reproduce the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Did you try spinning the wheels while raised to reproduce the sound?
    Yes, can't reproduce by hand. Have not yet put the whole truck up on jack stands and run in 2/4wd to test. The whirring is intermittent, so not sure if I'll even hear it doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My recent craigslist purchase, a 2005 ford escape (aka "the red one"), has some issues, naturally. These issues are centered around the rear differential. The shop will change fluids and replace seals or something and maybe the issues can further be kept in check by replacing just one part rather than the whole thing, but maybe not. Maybe it will also hold together as is long enough for me not to care.

The quote I have been given for "everything that technically would benefit from fixing" is something like 3k, the majority of that being parts. I bought the car for 4500. That is a quote from a dealership, for original parts. Is this something that could be done cheaper with non-original parts by someone who enjoys adventures under the hood, or not really?

The shop mechanic seems to think it is a nice car otherwise and recommended getting the rebuild done before he saw the quote on the parts.

I am wondering if it is worth putting some effort into finding a place that might do the major repair with cheaper parts or on the side or something and if that could realistically happen in this case.

Otherwise I'll call it good with the minor servicing and see what happens/ eventually find something else.

Suggestions?
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

My opinion, but if you're buying a 5k car off Craigslist just change the fluids and run it until you can't. Don't take a car like that to a dealership. They'll take you for a ride.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    My recent craigslist purchase, a 2005 ford escape (aka "the red one"), has some issues, naturally. These issues are centered around the rear differential. The shop will change fluids and replace seals or something and maybe the issues can further be kept in check by replacing just one part rather than the whole thing, but maybe not. Maybe it will also hold together as is long enough for me not to care.

The quote I have been given for "everything that technically would benefit from fixing" is something like 3k, the majority of that being parts. I bought the car for 4500. That is a quote from a dealership, for original parts. Is this something that could be done cheaper with non-original parts by someone who enjoys adventures under the hood, or not really?

The shop mechanic seems to think it is a nice car otherwise and recommended getting the rebuild done before he saw the quote on the parts.

I am wondering if it is worth putting some effort into finding a place that might do the major repair with cheaper parts or on the side or something and if that could realistically happen in this case.

Otherwise I'll call it good with the minor servicing and see what happens/ eventually find something else.

Suggestions?
    You might look for a rear end shop and compare. Lot of places specialize and wholesale out stuff like this to specialty shops.

No idea what availability is like in AK, but a complete rear end in good shape could probably be found from a junk yard for less than $1k in the contiguous US. And maybe take less time to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Anyone with VW/Audi 2.0T TSI experience? Friend is looking at a 2015 off lease. Has 20k miles. Service history shows the radiator, radiator fan controller, water pump, camshaft, timing chain tensioner seal, and drive belts have all been replaced or repaired. Again, 20k miles. Google says these engines have a few problems. Is this normal? I'm about to recommend something more reliable like a turbo rotary.
    I have a mk7 golf r with the ea888. Manufacture date is 3/16. Currently at 38k - so far, so good. Lots of headroom on these... Throw on a hp fuel pump, downpipe, and a few other bits and you can get to ~450bhp. Currently running mine at ~330bhp and it's quick. Haldex and xds+ programming can now be done via obd2. Steering could be a little more communicative, but it"s a great car. Have gotten a little bored with it after 18 months, but haven't found anything I'd rather have for a daily driver. Thinking about picking this up for S&G:

http://rocky-mountain-eurosport.ebiz...-15780798.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post

Suggestions?
    A friend of mine offered her 2005 Escape up for free on facebook because she got a quote from their shop to replace the transfer case (the part that connects the transmission to the rear axle) and rear differential for $3500, which was about the blue book cost to sell it here. I picked it up from her. The transfer case and differential went bad because the tires were never rotated and they were all different sizes. I picked up a transfer case at a dismantler for $150, and some seals and parts for another $200 and installed it myself. New tires were another $1000. I haven't changed the rear differential. It makes a whining sound, but it seems to drive ok for the past 15,000 miles. Maybe change the fluids, check that the tires are the same size and see how it goes. I wouldn't jump right into repairs unless its really bad.

Thanks all, that is fairly encouraging.

It seems to be driving just fine. There is definitely a sound. Apparently there are metal flakes in the fluid so some part probably is pretty fucked. Tires have been rotated and seem ok.

Having never had a car with a rear differential, what are the symptoms of this failing and would it be a gradual thing or more like a "car suddenly not drivable at all anymore" situation?
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

If it fails and locks up, you will know it...
    My approach would be along mazderatis lines. Look for a used rear end. There are used parts places online that could send you what you need, proba ly for a few hundred bucks.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    An 85 is a solid front. Also the only year with the removable top and 22re. They're fairly rare.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks. That's what I thought until the internet told me that Toyota had both solid axle and ifs at that time on 4runners. My mechanic runs 2 of that year.

Klar, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Yes, can't reproduce by hand. Have not yet put the whole truck up on jack stands and run in 2/4wd to test. The whirring is intermittent, so not sure if I'll even hear it doing that.
    Is the sound only when engine is cold?

Noticed something similar on land cruiser, but only when it's been cold (I can't remember hearing in the last few winters). The internets tells me it's typical transfer case sound for the truck when it's warming up on a cold day.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Is the sound only when engine is cold?

Noticed something similar on land cruiser, but only when it's been cold (I can't remember hearing in the last few winters). The internets tells me it's typical transfer case sound for the truck when it's warming up on a cold day.
    No, not consistently. It did make the loudest whirring sounds when coldish - truck is parked outside, started up one morning and drove about 4 miles with the sound increasing louder, before I turned around and went back home out of concern that something was going to fail imminently.

That was the morning after I had hosed off the underside to clean off road salt. I wonder if it was ice buildup. That would explain the intermittent nature of it all - sometimes there's more ice and frozen slop, sometimes nothing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

For the last year only had to do this and drive. Need a brake flush though.Name:  20180331_105020.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  48.0 KB

Cleaning up the intake manifold before installation on the 928. Also got my hardware re plated so it'll look purdy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180403_225410.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	231123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180320_130625.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	231124

Also yanked out the old ground cables on the 944 Turbo. I made new ones with stuff from an electronics supply company. Milspec terminal, soldered lugs, and 1awg welding cable. No fucking around with ground. I got the intake manifold powder coated... "while I was in there."

Name:	20180403_120908.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	231125

Name:	IMG_20180328_004143_291.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	231126

Name:	20180403_225416.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	231127
    sigless.

More Porsche goodies. The rest of my 928 parts are back from the powder coater and got the first timing chain tensioner pad installed.

Name:	IMG_20180406_095752_821.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	231449

Name:	IMG_20180406_095121_457.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	231450
    sigless.

Headway on the 928. Both valve covers on. Timing chain tensioner pads replaced, oil filler neck and gasket in. Tomorrow I will try to get the intake manifold in. Overly optimistic thinking I may get her going tomorrow, but hopefully this week. Still gotta do the fuel filter and change the oil. Guess I should check if it even needs an oil change... Garage pic for fun.

Name:	IMG_20180407_225644.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	231621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180407_224602.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	231622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180407_203707_086.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	231623
    sigless.

Question for the mechanic folks - can I put 215 55 R16 tires on a car that uses 205 60 R16? We have a set of mounted snow tires (215 55 R16) on a car that was just sent down to southern TX (for some reason the new owner didn't want the winter tires). Wife has a new Kia Niro (don't judge..) and we wondering if the winters could be used on hers.

When she suggested it I thought the obvious answer was no, but after reading online I see it's not too uncommon to use slightly differing sizes of tires.

Besides the odometer being slightly off, are there any serious implications to doing this?

You will be fine.
    Live Free or Die

Check out the clearance between tire and frame/body/suspension with the current tires. Full steering range. Maybe also with a tire on the curb, etc.

Should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Headway on the 928.
    I need some of your motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Question for the mechanic folks - can I put 215 55 R16 tires on a car that uses 205 60 R16? We have a set of mounted snow tires (215 55 R16) on a car that was just sent down to southern TX (for some reason the new owner didn't want the winter tires). Wife has a new Kia Niro (don't judge..) and we wondering if the winters could be used on hers.

When she suggested it I thought the obvious answer was no, but after reading online I see it's not too uncommon to use slightly differing sizes of tires.

Besides the odometer being slightly off, are there any serious implications to doing this?
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/

If they fit with no rubbing, and not awd with different sizes on front and rear, should be fine.

928 started up last night on first try. Wahoo!
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

928 started up last night on first try. Wahoo!
    Sweet! That's a satisfying thing.

What's Hugo's? Duh, yeah, I will. With a for sale sign. Hehe.
    I still gotta puts seats in it and put it back on the ground. But engine work is done. It is badass.
    sigless.