Page 17 of 236 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    I have some oil cooler hoses leaking like a sieve. luckily they're the short lines that run from the filter to the radiator and i shouldn't need to jack the engine up…. although I'm thinking it would be a good idea to replace all the hoses while I'm in there. should be fun. maybe do the motor mounts at the same time too.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I have some oil cooler hoses leaking like a sieve. luckily they're the short lines that run from the filter to the radiator and i shouldn't need to jack the engine up…. although I'm thinking it would be a good idea to replace all the hoses while I'm in there. should be fun. maybe do the motor mounts at the same time too.
    Sometimes hydraulic shops can rebuild/fabricate cooler lines much cheaper than buying new ones. Some mfg run over $100 hose.

Yeah, I have had oil Ines and stainless brake lines made by evco house of hose in Salt Lake, and it has saved money each time. They also have a great selection of hose clamps.
    sigless.

Speaking of saving money... Gotta spend to save right? $80 for the set. I I always thought these were some of the best looking wheels made by Toyota, and they bolt right up on the 80. Now to find a deal on tires.
    sigless.

Put BDS Fox 2.0s on the F350. Actually went pretty smooth. Haven't driven it yet but nothing can be worse than the Ranchos so I'm sure it'll be an improvement.

This is me not wrenching. Daughter hit a curb and bent a control arm and a destroyed wheel. Local suspension shop said $310 out the door for used lca, labor and alignment. I ain't touching shit to save $150 for labor during winter time. Now just need to find a used rim for the tank to replace the spare.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    This is me not wrenching. Daughter hit a curb and bent a control arm and a destroyed wheel. Local suspension shop said $310 out the door for used lca, labor and alignment. I ain't touching shit to save $150 for labor during winter time. Now just need to find a used rim for the tank to replace the spare.
    www.car-parts.com

Junkyard parts locator. Put in location, make model and part you want (wheel) it will show you which junkyard has it. You can sort by proximity.

Good call on skipping the CA job at that price - if the shop does decent work.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    www.car-parts.com

Junkyard parts locator. Put in location, make model and part you want (wheel) it will show you which junkyard has it. You can sort by proximity.

Good call on skipping the CA job at that price - if the shop does decent work.
    Been using them for years. Old school suspension shop that was recommended by a friend who owns a body shop about 20 years ago. They marked up the used control arm a few bucks but they gotta make money and i didn't have to buy a specialized Mercedes telescopic spring compressor for a $100 or risk losing an eye shade treeing that thing. For $85 I'm not even going to search, after market ones are around $60-200 so I'll just be happy with a drivable 21 year old car for $310.00 plus a Craigs list wheel I need to round up for a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I always wondered why people with no automotive repair skills (like me) lift the hood when something goes wrong. Had a CE light go on yesterday. Turned off the engine a couple times without help. Went to a local shop, parked, looked under the hood, mainly to make sure the coolant and oil were ok, and closed it. The shop couldn't even check for me. When I drove away the light wast off and stayed off. It's like a doctor laying on hands--looking under the hood brings comfort to the afflicted.
    (Another shop checked--O2 sensor going out, which always seems to be the problem with this Subaru. I hope to make it to spring and replace this '05.)
    Buy a OBDII scanner and see what comes up yourself. ~$100

Our '08 Outback XT regularly has the CEL come on (which is three lights one of them flashing sometimes), keeps the intelligent drive from being switched to sport #, etc...A scan will show bank 1 lean...did a little research and found the mass airflow sensor gets dirty and causes this code. Pull the sensor with one screw on top of the air intake, clean it with a q-tip, clear the code.

Done. Paid for itself in one use.

And the scanner works on 4 of our 5 vehicles...the '89 F-250 has a OBDI plug.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Or this an the Torque app.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products.../dp/B005NLQAHS

For bimmers I got a Bluetooth obd2 adapter and the Carly program. It can program. Any computer in the car, changing behavior of window systems, locking systems, program batteries, reset service indicators and a whole bunch other stuff.
    sigless.

Our '08 Outback XT regularly has the CEL come on (which is three lights one of them flashing sometimes), keeps the intelligent drive from being switched to sport #, etc...A scan will show bank 1 lean...did a little research and found the mass airflow sensor gets dirty and causes this code. Pull the sensor with one screw on top of the air intake, clean it with a q-tip, clear the code.

Done. Paid for itself in one use.

And the scanner works on 4 of our 5 vehicles...the '89 F-250 has a OBDI plug.
    OBDI II scanners- get one of the Elm plug in box or similar that are bluetooth enabled and use a Smartphone with an app like Torque on it. The one I got was under $10 - closer to $5 and the very basic app is free, or $5 if you want the Pro version license.

That bank 1 lean code on a turbo Subaru can also mean that it's actually lean. Often caused by a leak somewhere between the maf and turbo. The turbo inlets like to rip right where they clamp onto the turbo. That is a bad thing and can result in excessive knock, which leads to cracked ringlands and other broken stuff inside the engine.

Thanks. I'll check that out. Is a starting tear visible somehow?

The turbo was replaced awhile back when those damn sintered filters the dealer didn't even know about starved it and it blew.

When I clean the airflow sensor the code goes away which is why I left it at that.

Thanks. I'll check that out. Is a starting tear visible somehow?

The turbo was replaced awhile back when those damn sintered filters the dealer didn't even know about starved it and it blew.

When I clean the airflow sensor the code goes away which is why I left it at that.
    You might be able to tell by loosening up the clamp and sliding it back a bit or poking at it a bit with a screwdriver or long pick. But maybe not. It could also be torn or folded over on the bottom and you wouldn't be able to tell without removing the inlet. Swapping the inlet is kind of a hassle and with an oem replacement you usually have to remove the whole manifold. BUT, if the turbo replacement was somewhat recent you can be like "hey, I've been getting a CEL and my inlet is torn and you guys were the last people to touch it" and they might give you a break on fixing it.

Of course it could be something else. Vacuum leak at the manifold, exhaust leak, or the replacement front o2 sensor was a cheap non-oem part and is bad. Additionally sometimes you just need to put a new maf in these cars. Even with cleaning they somehow go off a bit.

Between the maf and turbo is the only place for unmetered air to leak into the system under load and cause a lean condition because it is under a slight vacuum. Anywhere past the turbo will leak out under boost and make it run rich.
    Last edited by jamal; 01-28-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Not mine, Thank god.

A friend bit off a little much over the weekend.
    1974 Bronco- 3 on the tree- better than Lowjack

I managed to crack my windshield fixing a wiper linkage on Saturday.

69 Opel GT. Everything in the world from transmissions, engine swap from a 1.1 to a 1.9, reworked head and cam, rear-end swap, rewired front to back.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Changed out belts on the 1997 Land Cruiser before the game yesterday, ratcheting wrenches would have made life easier but overall it was pretty painless.

It's a lot quieter but I still have an occasional squeal between 1.5k-2k rpm. Gonna re-tension the belts after a few more miles and see if that fixes it, if it was a pulley I'd think the squealing would be constant but maybe not.

Quality, matching belts? A spray bottle can be used to squirt water on the insides of the belt to discern belt squeal from bearing.

Belts were from Napa and the serial numbers were reasonably close (they came in a 2 pack). I've had good luck with Napa products so far but maybe I need to go OEM.

I'll troubleshoot with your spray bottle trick, thanks.

Threw some Fox BDS 2.0's on the F350. Per tradition, I missed the shock towers/bushings on all four corners when cutting the retention tape, turning an easy job into a real knuckle scraper.

Truck rides much, much better now. Pretty stoked on the results and value.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Threw some Fox BDS 2.0's on the F350. Per tradition, I missed the shock towers/bushings on all four corners when cutting the retention tape, turning an easy job into a real knuckle scraper.

Truck rides much, much better now. Pretty stoked on the results and value.
    What year super duty i have 2017 and was thinking of upgrading to the 2.0's and the fox steering stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    What year super duty i have 2017 and was thinking of upgrading to the 2.0's and the fox steering stabilizer.
    That's the one. Much more road friendly ride. Didn't do the steering stabilizer though. Haven't driven it off road yet either.

Pulled the intake off the 928. Gonna clean/replace vacuum lines/replace breather and fuel lines. Also going to pull the valve covers and get them powder coated so it looks sweet!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180221_011155.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	225100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180221_011200.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	225101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180221_011216.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	225102
    sigless.