Page 178 of 234 FirstFirst ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 5831
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Which is why I went with a corded one. Stronger for less but it overheats and shuts down after like 8 seconds of ineffective ugga duggas but 5 or so seconds and it's good to go again so not too bad but annoying and it isn't adjustable so if I did it again I'd look for more features and spend more than $79 at HF.
    I like to take it with me on trips in case I need to change a tire. I have a cheap one currently that can struggle with some of my cars so a cordless would be preferred.

"Now, some states are warning that the specialized paper used to print vehicle titles has gotten hard to find. Government agencies are rationing stashes and extending wait times for flummoxed dealers and car owners.
    The problem isn’t with the states that issue the documents. It is with the companies that make the paper, which contains features such as watermarks and security threading to prevent counterfeiting. Consolidation in the industry has reduced the number of companies making it.
    Dealers usually need titles to transfer ownership to buyers, and car owners need them to prove legal ownership when they register them, resell them or trade them in. Insurance companies typically require them to process claims. …
    State officials in Michigan, South Dakota and Oklahoma have taken steps to conserve supplies, including giving priority to buyers who require a title to sell a vehicle, and asking dealers to hold off on applying for a title until after a purchase is final, the officials say.
    Robin Shrake, a county treasurer in South Dakota, has been hearing by phone from angry and confused drivers, including some who have lost their titles, since the state’s department of revenue revealed in November that title paper would be in short supply until next year.
    “This is so out of our hands,” says Ms. Shrake. “We cannot do anything about it without paper. This is like making a cake without eggs.”"
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Some real basic battery questions to follow.

Car has (very slightly) struggled to start the last few days. It been roughly 18'F.

Not running it's at 12.43v. While starting it dips to about 10.8, and once running it sits around 14.3.

Those aren't really replacement-time numbers are they? I'm tempted to assume it's just the change to cooler weather but I don't recall this engine ever not starting instantly, even in way colder months.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback, original battery that I believe is 550CCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

Car has (very slightly) struggled to start the last few days. It been roughly 18'F.

Not running it's at 12.43v. While starting it dips to about 10.8, and once running it sits around 14.3.

Those aren't really replacement-time numbers are they? I'm tempted to assume it's just the change to cooler weather but I don't recall this engine ever not starting instantly, even in way colder months.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback, original battery that I believe is 550CCA.
    Sounds like it could be battery to me. If you take it to a parts store like AutoZone or O’Reilley’s they should be able to do a quick diagnostic check to confirm, and it should be free.

Had a similar issue back in the fall and had doubts that it was the battery since it was pretty new and I’d sprung for a premium one. Thought it must be an alternator issue instead, but the free test was able to pinpoint the battery. Hadn’t even bought that particular battery from the parts store - though they do other business of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

12.43 volts indicates a 75% charge and 14.3 volts running indicates a good charge rate from the alternator. 5 years is the expected life span for an OEM battery so it might be worth replacing anyway

5yo car with no other symptoms isn't starting well in the cold after starting just fine before then the most likely culprit is the battery. Those numbers aren't outside the acceptable ranges but the beauty of a failing battery in a cold climate is that when it does die it's highly likely that it'll Murphy's law your ass good.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'd also guess battery. I had to replace the one on my XC70 a few months back. Much like yours, the voltages also seemed "fine" but car wouldn't start. Swapped the battery and it's been great since.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Don't bother with that one. Only has 450 lbs. That's weak sauce for a proper impact.

If you need the battery too, then this is the one you seek:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-21B/312012941

You can save a hundred bucks if you need the tool-only version. Trust me on this one. My brother bought the 450 lb version you're looking at and it did NOT cut it. He upgraded to the 1400 lb model and couldn't be happier. I used his former one too, and yeah. It struggled with even medium duty work. Waste of money.
    Rigid one is $169 with 4.0 battery. 650 breakaway,500 lbs. tightening. Hasn't let me down yet. I kinda prefer the slower effectiveness as it shakes the rust loose more. Either way, hell of a deal, and my Rigid stuff is $$.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Rigid one is $169 with 4.0 battery. 650 breakaway,500 lbs. tightening. Hasn't let me down yet. I kinda prefer the slower effectiveness as it shakes the rust loose more. Either way, hell of a deal, and my Rigid stuff is $$.
    That could be a GREAT middle ground. That's a heckuva deal since it comes with the battery. Personally, I don't deviate just so I can stay with one battery ecosystem. I have a nice little charging station and my batteries work with all my power tools. However, my Rigid folding, portable table saw and my miter saw stand have been absolutely bomber. HD absolutely backs up their warranty too (if you register them). FIL uses the table saw professionally and has burnt up a couple. He's HARD on them, but any time one breaks, he's just wheeled it into HD and they just give him a new one. No questions asked. I think they're generally pretty good tools. Dang. $169. Maybe hop on that one, fatnslow.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    That could be a GREAT middle ground. That's a heckuva deal since it comes with the battery. Personally, I don't deviate just so I can stay with one battery ecosystem. I have a nice little charging station and my batteries work with all my power tools. However, my Rigid folding, portable table saw and my miter saw stand have been absolutely bomber. HD absolutely backs up their warranty too (if you register them). FIL uses the table saw professionally and has burnt up a couple. He's HARD on them, but any time one breaks, he's just wheeled it into HD and they just give him a new one. No questions asked. I think they're generally pretty good tools. Dang. $169. Maybe hop on that one, fatnslow.
    HD had( still might) promo on Rigid cordless BOGO, I ordered the high torque (1300 pound) impact with a saw for $269. You can return the saw for $111 and end up with the beast impact/battery for $159. I think it's a hole in their system where the two items are listed separately at a discounted price so the buyer is able to return each. Someone on another site listed it so I tried it. The impact is back ordered for a week but I already returned the saw for a refund.
    It basically has the same specs as the Milwaukie beast and I'll be in it for 1/2 the price and I'll be able to loosen anything on a car . My crappy Amazon one struggles with even lug nuts if I don't fully charge the battery so this thing will be a game changer and never mess with ghetto rigged pipes and such for breaker bar extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    My crappy Amazon one struggles with even lug nuts if I don't fully charge the battery so this thing will be a game changer and never mess with ghetto rigged pipes and such for breaker bar extensions.
    Wow. Nice score! Yeah, it's gonna be a game changer for sure. Pretty bad tool if it can't hang with some lugs that aren't even (supposed to be) torqued all that much. Haha.

But don't discount pipes and breaker bars just yet. That's still how I felt most comfortable attacking my head bolts as to not destroy the threads.

Thanks guys for the battery advice. I'll go head and swap a new one in.

Costco has good batteries with a solid battery FWIW

Since we're talking about batteries, the wife's XC60 needs a new one soon and I'm trying to decide if I just go with one that slightly exceeds the requirements or get an AGM. It has all sorts of electrical accessories including a power tailgate so I'm thinking it's worth the extra $40-50 for the AGM. What say ye?

Since we're talking about batteries, the wife's XC60 needs a new one soon and I'm trying to decide if I just go with one that slightly exceeds the requirements or get an AGM. It has all sorts of electrical accessories including a power tailgate so I'm thinking it's worth the extra $40-50 for the AGM. What say ye?
    I'm trying one out myself. Went with an Everstart Platinum AGM from Wally-World. So far so good, but only time will tell how it stacks up. The Everstart Maxx it replaced performed pretty well. Their AGM was pretty cheap though, so got it on a whim. It was only about a $10 premium over the non-AGM version. Prolly paid around $150 or so.

I'm looking at 180 vs 225 for Die Hard at Advance where I have a 15% off code good through the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Your engine bay is making my OCD go off. I'll be right over to detail it.
    It just gets dusty again running dirt roads in the West Desert.

Earlier today getting in the Treg the ol lady snatched the passenger side door handle clean off! She is not a dainty thing. Some of the forums say it is an easy fix, some say you have to disassemble the whole door. Was going to ski epic Wasatchpow tomorrow but now I get to do some more wrenching on this pig instead. FML

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I’m hoping that yours isn’t a 2004, this guy takes 46 seconds to remove the headlight…

https://youtu.be/ai6JtJC2wg0
    2014. If I had to do it again it'd take me 30 minutes max. Still some bullshit

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I have one for the Miata-san for the days it's not in the garage. Takes 30 seconds to install.
    Attachment 437926

Yeah and that Toureg engine bay is disgusting. Wtf dude.
    I had better things to do than clean an engine bay that'll just get dirty. I rally the fuck out of my cars not eat dinner off the engine cover. FFS

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    2014. If I had to do it again it'd take me 30 minutes max. Still some bullshit
    Ready to be jealous? To remove the headlight assemblies on my C30, you just gotta pull a single pin. Boom. On my XC70, it's a whopping two pins. SSSOOOOOOO ridiculously easy. Sure, I pay for it in other ways on these cars, but at least they got SOMETHING right for us DIY'ers. Haha

I think my S60's about like in this one. No tools required to either swap bulbs or the entire assemblies on any of my cars.

I've been really happy with the slightly larger than stock NAPA AGM I put into my F-150, but this is only it's second winter. Lots of electric stuff on the truck (heated seats and wheel, driving lights, etc) and a strong bias towards short drives in the winter, but overall it seems to be doing well.

I would note that the battery management system in the truck wants to know what the battery chemistry and nominal capacity is, as well as when you install a new one; I don't know how fancy the Volvo system is.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Costco has good batteries with a solid battery FWIW
    This has been my usual. If there is any question I just take it back before the warranty expires and get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I would note that the battery management system in the truck wants to know what the battery chemistry and nominal capacity is, as well as when you install a new one; I don't know how fancy the Volvo system is.
    Yup. I believe on the newer ones you have to reset the battery management system. I can do that with my fancy Vida laptop setup, but I think you can do a physical workaround by unplugging a sensor or something. Follow the replacement procedure though or it can trip airbag lights and other such nonsense.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

There's a couple of reset hacks out there but it looks like there's a fair chance of shit being fucked up with all of them. It looks like the only reliable way to add a new one is going to cost at least $150 more than just the battery itself. The iCarsoft scanner with the preloaded Volvo software can do it safely, other than that the Vida setup MF has is it. I called a local dealer just to see what they charge and they'll only do it if they replace the battery and do the reset so it starts at $400 with no promises it won't cost more. Fuckn stupid shit. I need an old, simple car...