Page 172 of 236 FirstFirst ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 5882
    Just give this on my tire. It seems(wishing?) fairly shallow. About 3mm. No cords showing and no bulging. Does it have to be replaced? Can I still drive like a d-bag in the mountains? Will I die?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rear tire I'd go 20 miles at 20mph no problem. How's your spare? AAA cardholder?
    Me last week. Rear tire at 60mph.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	432537
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Now that the DS is taken care of, I can hear some bearing noise that seems to coincide exactly with the drive shaft RPMs. I'm gonna jack up the rear end this afternoon and put it in drive this afternoon to see if I can isolate it. Maybe an axle pinion... Or t-case?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    The squeaking turned out to be the CV centering ball in the front DS. I was able to get some grease in there with a syringe, and it doesn't squeak anymore, but it's definitely time for a rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just checked the donut in the older car. Good to go for the roadside assistance kid with the GOOD jack if we need a change. I'll do it with the crappy jack if we're in BFE. I do keep a good 4 way in the back with the donut if I have to do it myself..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I love putting the tracks on because winter but it is not the most pleasant job in the driveway in the snowClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20221106_111641-01.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	432637
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Nothing much more satisfying than a clean engine after a really nasty valve cover seal replacement. PCV valve was completely clogged creating so much blowby on the gaskets. Felpro and good to go.

One of my best friends has been a pro auto mechanic his whole life. So I texted him the pic of my improvised firewood jack stands. "Super sketchy. Perfect!" was his reply.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221106_102619-01.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	432732
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

What kind of snow depth are those good up to?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The firewood jack stands? They're not good at all, regardless of the snow depth.

We primarily run the ranger on groomed snowmobile roads as a chase/utility vehicle (internal gear reduction in the tracks makes it quite slow) so it doesn't usually see much deep powder but it handles 2-4 feet no prob. Beyond that it depends on how supportive the layers are. I've had it well and truly stuck a couple times in really deep unconsolidated stuff but the winch is in a cradle that I can use in the front or rear to help get it free as long as we're below treeline.

Ha! Thanks.

Milk crates make good jack stands with decent flotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Milk crates make good jack stands with decent flotation.

And maintain the sketch factor more than adequately.

Sketchy is when the milk crate slides around on the wood you put down for more flotation

Or they're the fake milk crates sold at walmart as dorm room/apartment furniture.. That shit's gonna collapse..

Lol, you won't find fake milk crates at the back of grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Lol, you won't find fake milk crates at the back of grocery stores.

Or real ones.. Tik Tokers took them all

Lol

So in my practice sessions on that motor today I learned that bearing cap screws strip easily. Otherwise I think this is pretty doable but I need some higher quality torx bits. I got all sorts of parts for a sixer of Modelo, plenum, lower intake, 6 coils, 6 injectors, oil cooler and a dozen extra bearing cap screws. I can go get more bits tomorrow like maybe a cam or two, I'll bring a Negro Modelo next time.

Suggestions for high quality 3/8 socket T30 torx bits? Is Snap On worth nearly double what most other (supposedly) good stuff costs?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Suggestions for high quality 3/8 socket T30 torx bits? Is Snap On worth nearly double what most other (supposedly) good stuff costs?
    Snap-On is great if you need the warranty and the truck comes by your shop. I have all Wera bits and like them more - they're a bit tighter tolerance than most others and don't give me as many issues with rounding cheap bolts.

Check KC Tool Co - they often do sales.

You’ll get a lot of opinions (and some good info) if you ask this in the sprocket rockets ‘tool time’ thread.

Look for impact-grade Torx bits from someone with a lifetime warranty. They sell Craftsman, Milwaukee, and Mac at Home Depot these days. Black metal sockets are much heavier than polished chrome. Chrome moly is typically "better" than chrome vanadium tool steel.

You might also want to look for carbide T30 insert bits rather than a single or Torx male bit set with the sockets mounted. In which case, spend your $$ on an impact-grade bit holder.

This one seems like it's rated highly
    Last edited by highangle; 11-14-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Snap-On is great if you need the warranty and the truck comes by your shop. I have all Wera bits and like them more - they're a bit tighter tolerance than most others and don't give me as many issues with rounding cheap bolts.

Check KC Tool Co - they often do sales.
    I use wera screwdrivers everyday at work, hard to beat them in quality and longevity.

Gravity, a friendly tap or two with a hammer on the bit to make sure it's seated well and a little nudge for the fastener wouldn't hurt.