Page 164 of 233 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 5815
    Good luck the rest of the way getting your car back on the road. I followed your Swedespeed thread and sound alike jt was quite the shit storm.

Think how easy the s60 hg job will be coming off this one !

Here's a fun one. 09 Forester runs like a champ when driving but sometimes, and frequently will drop the idle, sputter for a second or two, almost stalling. The dash lights even flash for a second like it has stalled. Checked the electrical stuff, plugs and wires are pretty new. Had a couple of car savvy people take a look. General consensus is that something is dragging the engine down occasionally, only at very low idle sitting at a light, in park, etc.

Nothing is malfunctioning or making any grinding noises, no visible slipping belts. Suspects, power steering pump, alternator, water pump, A/C compressor.

General consensus among local car guys who have looked at it and seen the issue say 95% likely A/C compressor, 5%possibility power steering pump.. something sticky in one of the V-belt pullies just enough to almost stall the car at low idle.

Going on that guess, I snipped the belt on the compressor to see if the problem goes away without that in the equation. Well, it absolutely has... mostly. I still get the sense that the idle is trying to drop, but not enough to flash the dash lights. Could it still be the power steering pump or another pulley but losing the compressor gives the engine just enough power to no longer sputter?

I'm MacGyver-ing a way to a hand drill and v-belt pulley to spin the compressor with the A/C on and see if I notice any additional sticking. I already tried turning it by hand with the clutch engaged (A/C on). There is resistance, but I have no idea if it's more than it's supposed to be.

I don't want to drop money on a compressor install... or that AND condenser unless I'm 100% certain this resolves the problem and it doesn't just go right back to doing the same shit it did with the old compressor in the works.

Plan A is to keep driving it without the compressor for another week and see if the problem creeps back in.

What say ye?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    09 Forester runs like a champ when driving but sometimes, and frequently will drop the idle, sputter for a second or two, almost stalling.
    Head gasket leaking coolant into combustion chamber or plug seals leaking oil would my first thoughts on that engine.

Also check for holes in the pistons and bent connecting rods. I wouldn't be surprised if the crankshaft is broken in half too.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Head gasket leaking coolant into combustion chamber or plug seals leaking oil would my first thoughts on that engine.
    Head gasket still sound, no fluid loss... thanks to running the super coolant and the treatment designed to help keep the sketchy head gasket sealed... Plug seals (and plugs and wires) were done for that exact problem at 95Kmiles.. I also did the timing belt and assembly then. Now at 122K

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Also check for holes in the pistons and bent connecting rods. I wouldn't be surprised if the crankshaft is broken in half too.
    Did that to the firebird I drove through college. It died with a a glorious KA KLULK!.

Hahaha. You work at my dealer too?

^Seems to a be an ethos today at dealers where a cyl #3 misfire code => complete engine replacement.

I recently took my Toyota in for new plugs and a belt at my local mechanic. A few days later there's a new rattle in my engine compartment. Of course I think the worst, spun bearing, something $, cause I have 170K on the bird. So I start looking around. Turns out my mechanic lost a socket in there and it worked it's way down to the frame rail and was bouncing around on it. I fished it out and took it back. He said he'd been looking for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Here's a fun one. 09 Forester runs like a champ when driving but sometimes, and frequently will drop the idle, sputter for a second or two, almost stalling. The dash lights even flash for a second like it has stalled. Checked the electrical stuff, plugs and wires are pretty new. Had a couple of car savvy people take a look. General consensus is that something is dragging the engine down occasionally, only at very low idle sitting at a light, in park, etc.

Nothing is malfunctioning or making any grinding noises, no visible slipping belts. Suspects, power steering pump, alternator, water pump, A/C compressor.

General consensus among local car guys who have looked at it and seen the issue say 95% likely A/C compressor, 5%possibility power steering pump.. something sticky in one of the V-belt pullies just enough to almost stall the car at low idle.

Going on that guess, I snipped the belt on the compressor to see if the problem goes away without that in the equation. Well, it absolutely has... mostly. I still get the sense that the idle is trying to drop, but not enough to flash the dash lights. Could it still be the power steering pump or another pulley but losing the compressor gives the engine just enough power to no longer sputter?

I'm MacGyver-ing a way to a hand drill and v-belt pulley to spin the compressor with the A/C on and see if I notice any additional sticking. I already tried turning it by hand with the clutch engaged (A/C on). There is resistance, but I have no idea if it's more than it's supposed to be.

I don't want to drop money on a compressor install... or that AND condenser unless I'm 100% certain this resolves the problem and it doesn't just go right back to doing the same shit it did with the old compressor in the works.

Plan A is to keep driving it without the compressor for another week and see if the problem creeps back in.

What say ye?
    Check all your ground points in the engine bay, clean maf sensor/reseat connector, check fuel pressure.

^Seems to a be an ethos today at dealers where a cyl #3 misfire code => complete engine replacement.

I recently took my Toyota in for new plugs and a belt at my local mechanic. A few days later there's a new rattle in my engine compartment. Of course I think the worst, spun bearing, something $, cause I have 170K on the bird. So I start looking around. Turns out my mechanic lost a socket in there and it worked it's way down to the frame rail and was bouncing around on it. I fished it out and took it back. He said he'd been looking for that.
    Just pretend your the Snapon guy and take $7/week for the next 14 weeks for the socket.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Check all your ground points in the engine bay, clean maf sensor/reseat connector, check fuel pressure.
    All done.. maf sensor is super easy on this.. new air filter too because duh.. Also still not a single legit sputter since I clipped the compressor belt off. It just kinda feels like it might be close to doing it.. I can stomp on it and she still really gets going same as always..

Hurricane Ian decided it was time for the gas tank to go back in. Only took 2 tries- couldn't get the fill hose on with the tank already installed.
    Took it down and put the entire fill hose assembly on it, and then somehow jimmied it in place. Keep in mind, this was with my family already evacuated to Orlando, and a hurricane bearing down on me. Needed the tank in to get it in the garage. The storm gods were smiling on me. Started right up after priming it pretty well by turning the fuel pump on and off a bunch.

Before rust treatment-

After treatment- ready for tank install-

Tank and skid plate back in-

The hurricane pulled all the humidity out of here, so it was a really nice fall weekend. Got the majority of the bed coated as well.

After the Ospho treatment and wire brushing-

Wiped down 5,000 times with prep spray and denatured alcohol to remove any oil and dirt, and then coated with RustProof M/D from Napa-

Next up is the KilMat once I finish the 3rd coat of rust treatment. Then I get to order the new carpet and this project really starts to get fun.

^^^
    Nicely done, Warthog!!! Thing must be the ultimate beach rig, huh?

Last night was a reminder in why this project is taking SSOOOOO long, aside from the machine shop delays. Was attempting to install the water pump (a total PITA on this car) and ended up tearing the evidently very delicate gasket. Not a big deal really. They're widely available and cheap, but of course it was after hours since I usually have to wrench on this thing late at night after work and what not. OR if I'm doing it by day, if the wife is out with our 1 functioning car, then I'm stuck and can't get whatever stupid part or tool. On the plus side, I'm all tooled up for the next one!!! And now know a complete parts list of what I do and don't need. Still annoying to finally get going with working on it, just to be held up at step 1 of the evening. Water pump was my first order of business before I put the timing belt back on. Doh!!! Seems that every day I work on it, there's some stupid little thing that hangs me up and I have to wait until the next day to resolve it. Then another day... Then another... Mostly frustrating because I'm on the home stretch now and I'm starting to get antsy about getting it running again!

During my lunch break, thought I'd pop on the alternator belt real quick and DENIED. Torx slot for the tensioner was stripped, so had to chase down another one in town and had to run across town to go get it. At least it was a really easy install since everything else is out of the way. Kinda nice that every tensioner is now brand new. That was the only one remaining. Other one was super stripped too. Gotta love the mysteries you unravel with a used car! Even with well maintained cars I've bought before, I still uncover the same kind of BS if it's ever been touched by any shop, dealer or not. Starting to get cranky about this topic. Haha.

The number of 'WTF did they do this for' episodes is pretty amazing but then I think about what people must think when they work on my old cars Mixed ski binding and bicycle hardware and zip ties...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    The number of 'WTF did they do this for' episodes is pretty amazing but then I think about what people must think when they work on my old cars Mixed ski binding and bicycle hardware and zip ties...
    Haha. At least you and I have an 'excuse.' We're just a couple of hack shadetree DIYers tryna figure out way out through weird European cars. I get even more annoyed when it was a SHOP who fouled things up so bad. Trained professional mechanics. I guess time is money so they just have to blast through jobs as quickly as possible, damn the collateral damage.

Whoever previously put on the cam cover used standard grey gasket sealant... Sloppily. It was a mess inside the camshaft area. Whereas I did the Volvo recommended method of "painting" on an anaerobic sealer with their own branded roller. Not gonna lie. It was SO satisfying to watch this stuff go on and the results speak for themselves. Really easy actually, so not sure why anybody would dick around with a tube on this thing. Cover went on beautifully thanks to the cam cover installation tools and my nice, even sealant application.

Feast your eyes on this beauty:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221003_032654904.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	428643

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

It’s…it’s….beautiful .

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Last night was a reminder in why this project is taking SSOOOOO long, aside from the machine shop delays. Was attempting to install the water pump (a total PITA on this car) and ended up tearing the evidently very delicate gasket. Not a big deal really. They're widely available and cheap, but of course it was after hours since I usually have to wrench on this thing late at night after work and what not. OR if I'm doing it by day, if the wife is out with our 1 functioning car, then I'm stuck and can't get whatever stupid part or tool. On the plus side, I'm all tooled up for the next one!!! And now know a complete parts list of what I do and don't need. Still annoying to finally get going with working on it, just to be held up at step 1 of the evening. Water pump was my first order of business before I put the timing belt back on. Doh!!! Seems that every day I work on it, there's some stupid little thing that hangs me up and I have to wait until the next day to resolve it. Then another day... Then another... Mostly frustrating because I'm on the home stretch now and I'm starting to get antsy about getting it running again!

During my lunch break, thought I'd pop on the alternator belt real quick and DENIED. Torx slot for the tensioner was stripped, so had to chase down another one in town and had to run across town to go get it. At least it was a really easy install since everything else is out of the way. Kinda nice that every tensioner is now brand new. That was the only one remaining. Other one was super stripped too. Gotta love the mysteries you unravel with a used car! Even with well maintained cars I've bought before, I still uncover the same kind of BS if it's ever been touched by any shop, dealer or not. Starting to get cranky about this topic. Haha.
    You are winning time after time after playing the Rebuild title car roulette. I guarantee that engine was pulled out a pic-n-pull or someone's back yard on Craigslist where a guy had a 5 gallon bucket of tools that doesn't include any torx bits slapped that thing into the car to resell.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    It’s…it’s….beautiful .
    LMAO. Thanks. That National Lampoon clip summed up my feelings perfectly. Haha. Well, I'll feel even more that way when the car runs.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    You are winning time after time after playing the Rebuild title car roulette. I guarantee that engine was pulled out a pic-n-pull or someone's back yard on Craigslist where a guy had a 5 gallon bucket of tools that doesn't include any torx bits slapped that thing into the car to resell.
    Hahaha. Totally. On the plus side, I got an upgraded motor out of the deal! Block looks absolutely flawless. Pistons were in perfect shape after I cleaned them up. Cylinders looked great too. Zero signs of wear. Now that the head's been totally refurbed and looking WAY better than when I bought the car, if I can get this thing running right, I'll be happy. There's no way of knowing, but I have a feeling the motor's got way less miles on it than the car does. Keep in mind that this really is a special car. There just aren't a ton of R-Design's out there with manual transmissions. So, did I overpay for what I ended up with? Most certainly. BUT now that I have it, I'll deal with what I'm faced with. It ain't exactly some rental-fare common car there's a million of, ya know?

This all said. You can't say you didn't warn me pre-purchase. Hahaha. You were right, bro. You were right. Still. Been a very interesting journey, I've learned a ton along the way, and now I feel I'm properly equipped to go start rescuing more Volvos that have met similarly tragic fates. Saving perfectly good cars from the junkyard one at a time! Saw a sweet little C70 convertible for sale near my brother's for only a few grand and less than 70K miles! Overheated and blew head gasket. If I had somewhere to put it, I'd be all over it! I'm gonna start getting quick at this. My plan is to lather, rinse, repeat until I can save up enough for a used CPO V90.

Hahaha. Totally. On the plus side, I got an upgraded motor out of the deal! Block looks absolutely flawless. Pistons were in perfect shape after I cleaned them up. Cylinders looked great too. Zero signs of wear. Now that the head's been totally refurbed and looking WAY better than when I bought the car, if I can get this thing running right, I'll be happy. There's no way of knowing, but I have a feeling the motor's got way less miles on it than the car does. Keep in mind that this really is a special car. There just aren't a ton of R-Design's out there with manual transmissions. So, did I overpay for what I ended up with? Most certainly. BUT now that I have it, I'll deal with what I'm faced with. It ain't exactly some rental-fare common car there's a million of, ya know?

This all said. You can't say you didn't warn me pre-purchase. Hahaha. You were right, bro. You were right. Still. Been a very interesting journey, I've learned a ton along the way, and now I feel I'm properly equipped to go start rescuing more Volvos that have met similarly tragic fates. Saving perfectly good cars from the junkyard one at a time! Saw a sweet little C70 convertible for sale near my brother's for only a few grand and less than 70K miles! Overheated and blew head gasket. If I had somewhere to put it, I'd be all over it! I'm gonna start getting quick at this. My plan is to lather, rinse, repeat until I can save up enough for a used CPO V90.
    I'm just poking you a bit cause' I'm jealous and envious of you going balls deep into a major repair. My money says the s60 will be about 20% effort compared to your current shit storm. Once you have the skill set under your hat you'll be able to make some great purchases in the future for easy flips.

Name:	PXL_20221003_032654904.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	428643
    Volvo engineers were boofing butterflies and sunshine while designing that part.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Hurricane Ian decided it was time for the gas tank to go back in. Only took 2 tries- couldn't get the fill hose on with the tank already installed.
    Took it down and put the entire fill hose assembly on it, and then somehow jimmied it in place. Keep in mind, this was with my family already evacuated to Orlando, and a hurricane bearing down on me. Needed the tank in to get it in the garage. The storm gods were smiling on me. Started right up after priming it pretty well by turning the fuel pump on and off a bunch.

Before rust treatment-

After treatment- ready for tank install-

Tank and skid plate back in-

The hurricane pulled all the humidity out of here, so it was a really nice fall weekend. Got the majority of the bed coated as well.

After the Ospho treatment and wire brushing-

Wiped down 5,000 times with prep spray and denatured alcohol to remove any oil and dirt, and then coated with RustProof M/D from Napa-

Next up is the KilMat once I finish the 3rd coat of rust treatment. Then I get to order the new carpet and this project really starts to get fun.
    So sick, buddy. Great work!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Not under but on the hood. The nice paint job done by the flipper I bought the TJ from failed only on the hood. 8 hours in and 30 to go. Maybe I'll take it to Maaco to get it painted. Or DIY rattle can the hood in Hi Gloss Black.

Name:	tjhood.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	428721
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.