Page 14 of 236 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    I got more satisfaction from replacing rotors and pads on my Kia last week than anything else I've done in a year. Really strange.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I got more satisfaction from replacing rotors and pads on my Kia last week than anything else I've done in a year. Really strange.
    Know what you mean. Getting your hands dirty and making something work properly while saving a nice pile of dough always makes the beer taste a little better.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Know what you mean. Getting your hands dirty and making something work properly while saving a nice pile of dough always makes the beer taste a little better.
    Damn. That is persistance on that knuckle. Next time that happens pull the knuckle and get it to a machine shop. No shame in having them bail you out. If I have trouble with that pinch bolt not turning right away take it in before it breaks off...they get it red hot and turn it right out. I have had to replace a bearing seal immediately after (like $6) because it got a little singed with the heat.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Nordfrost's are on the Volvo. Waiting for E code headlights to be delivered

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010190.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	215789

Name:	P1010193.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	215790

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Damn. That is persistance on that knuckle. Next time that happens pull the knuckle and get it to a machine shop. No shame in having them bail you out. If I have trouble with that pinch bolt not turning right away take it in before it breaks off...they get it red hot and turn it right out. I have had to replace a bearing seal immediately after (like $6) because it got a little singed with the heat.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Sage advice. I probably spent as much on replacing drill bits and new hardware as a shop would have charged to say nothing of the time and aggravation. Goddamn New England road salt!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Top of page 13 on this thread is where I posted a picture showing the leaf spring, although it doesn't show the front or rear connections. It doesn't look like a leaf spring that I could flip upside down and all of the stock F-250s I've seen look similar. I'm thinking about getting an add-a-leaf kit for about $90, which is something I'd do for fun. It looks like the lift kit on the dirt every day truck would be around $1300. and a lot of fiddling around with the suspension for my interest.
    I have that on my older F250...makes the fronts straight with no arch. Totally good, but it stiffens the ride up a lot....be ready for that.

Back off the rack and home to order a pair of pre loaded strut/spring assemblies. Pretty good deal at $180 for the pair and simple install.
    I've seen a lot of problems with those Quick Strut assemblies. The springs are noodles and won't ride the same as stock. The mounts are weak and break. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    I've seen a lot of problems with those Quick Strut assemblies. The springs are noodles and won't ride the same as stock. The mounts are weak and break. Just sayin
    Huh, I hadn't heard that but based on that I'll hang onto the old springs just in case. I guess I wouldnt be surprised give the low cost. In the mean time I'll keep my fingers crossed that these hold out ok and make sure the car stays on the pavement.

3 mm Is all it took to get clearance. Now just need the center caps. Bring on the snow...
    sigless.

When I get back to my sailboat and that other side of my life, I'll retrieve the journal of my girlfriend and I's 52 day cross-continental wrenching adventure in my old vintage Land Rover. Iceman will be happy to know that a pair of blue-jeans figures highly in the story......as does a sacred circle dance around a very dead battery (it WORKED) and an epic 70 mile, fifteen mile an hour side of the road trip into town with a radiator that had more holes than metal. It will be a good read, I promise you that.

Replaced an a/c compressor, condenser and drier/desiccant on my 2005 Toyota Matrix the other day. I ain't auto mechanically inclined at all but looked at a few youtube how-to videos after a few shops quoted the job as taking 3 hours of labor time @ 90-120 bucks/hour... took me 65 minutes and didn't even bruise a knuckle. The beer tasted pretty fine after that job; tasted like...victory.

WTF is with the shop time estimates? I can see it taking that long if they planned on re and re'ing the alternator and fan assembly to make more room to access the compressor and taking a few extended paid coffee breaks or something but otherwise the estimates are out to lunch.
    Master of mediocrity.

Working on the timing belt for a Lexus v8. Pretty straight forward so far.

Got the belt in, and time to check for interference, then put it all back together.
    sigless.

No wrenches, per se, and I wouldn't want people to know me as a painter based on this, but for my very first time, I felt pretty damn good about it! A bit of light sanding and a buff with some compound should make a big difference on the end finish. Flame away.
    Still need to paint all the fender flares and bumpers. Those will all be matching dark metallic gray to give the finished car a two tone job.
    sigless.

Looked like this a couple days ago...
    sigless.

Is that a Nissan Patrol?

Looks pretty good for a first time job.
    How does it look closer than 10 ft away?

Hehe, from 10 ft, it looks good. But even from there it is evident it has some orange peel. It's not great, but it ought to look pretty decent when finished.
    It is a 95 land cruiser. 167k miles. Paint was shit. Looks way better now, but still have a bunch of work to go.
    sigless.

My first paint job. Bit of a smaller project-

Before-

During-

After-

Pow pow power wheels
    sigless.

improved the tuning and am now getting an additional 5 PSI on my turbo, can definitely feel the difference.

thinking about putting a high flow cat on, opinions vary on if it'll improve performance.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    improved the tuning and am now getting an additional 5 PSI on my turbo, can definitely feel the difference.

thinking about putting a high flow cat on, opinions vary on if it'll improve performance.
    I'm new to this thread. What kind of vehicle is it?

Anything that reduces back pressure helps your turbo spool up easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Anything that reduces back pressure helps your turbo spool up easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Actually, you want back pressure, or restriction on the exhaust until the turbo spools up, because the restriction will increase the exhaust has velocity.
    Then once you have boost, you want no restriction.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    Nordfrost's are on the Volvo. Waiting for E code headlights to be delivered

Name:	P1010190.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	215789

Name:	P1010193.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	215790
    This is the sexiest car going on TGR right now.
    I still call it The Jake.

No.

Simplest way to free up power and increase spool rate in a turbo is to make the exhaust more free flowing.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    When I get back to my sailboat and that other side of my life, I'll retrieve the journal of my girlfriend and I's 52 day cross-continental wrenching adventure in my old vintage Land Rover. Iceman will be happy to know that a pair of blue-jeans figures highly in the story......as does a sacred circle dance around a very dead battery (it WORKED) and an epic 70 mile, fifteen mile an hour side of the road trip into town with a radiator that had more holes than metal. It will be a good read, I promise you that.
    Check out my tale of "the Gobbler" for a similar tale of a ORV that won't work.
    I still call it The Jake.