Page 109 of 236 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 5882
    Guy's trying to get a 20 year old 180k mile Honda back on the road and getting shit for it like he just handed over keys to a new S class.

@fat Honda C series engines have a coolant bleeder behind the thermostat housing. The J series in that Acura TL is a completely different engine but it may be worth checking around to see if one is there. Two different people I know who are in-the-know commented on improperly bled cooling systems leading to head gasket failures on Honda V6s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Guy's trying to get a 20 year old 180k mile Honda back on the road and getting shit for it like he just handed over keys to a new S class.

@fat Honda C series engines have a coolant bleeder behind the thermostat housing. The J series in that Acura TL is a completely different engine but it may be worth checking around to see if one is there. Two different people I know who are in-the-know commented on improperly bled cooling systems leading to head gasket failures on Honda V6s.
    The j series are notoriously finicky with trapped air. The auto burping funnel SHOULD take care of it after letting it run on ramos, heat cycle and 3k rev plus about 20 minutes of idling.
    Maybe some folks have the patience and time to teach their kids to wrench while not really knowing what they're doing(me) but I don't. I don't pretend to be a master mechanic but I'll try to fix most anything with my half inherited/ half harbor freight tools.
    It's much cheaper to put 93 octane into a FREE car than unleaded into a $2-4k beater.
    Do the math.......

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    The j series are notoriously finicky with trapped air. The auto burping funnel SHOULD take care of it after letting it run on ramos, heat cycle and 3k rev plus about 20 minutes of idling.
    Maybe some folks have the patience and time to teach their kids to wrench while not really knowing what they're doing(me) but I don't. I don't pretend to be a master mechanic but I'll try to fix most anything with my half inherited/ half harbor freight tools.
    It's much cheaper to put 93 octane into a FREE car than unleaded into a $2-4k beater.
    Do the math.......
    I hope you're not reading me wrong. I totally admire what you're doing. FWIW, Dad and Grandpa didn't teach me shit, other than the correct timing for profanity. I guess I just picked it up from them. If it makes you feel any better, my kid's either getting a 20 year old Jeep or a 30 year old Ford.... whichever has less rust in the crumple zone. RE: Premium gas, the wife's car is supposed to take that... unless we can swing by a Sam's Club, or we've saved up a few dozen grocery store perks, it gets mid grade.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I hope you're not reading me wrong. I totally admire what you're doing. FWIW, Dad and Grandpa didn't teach me shit, other than the correct timing for profanity. I guess I just picked it up from them. If it makes you feel any better, my kid's either getting a 20 year old Jeep or a 30 year old Ford.... whichever has less rust in the crumple zone. RE: Premium gas, the wife's car is supposed to take that... unless we can swing by a Sam's Club, or we've saved up a few dozen grocery store perks, it gets mid grade.
    No offense taken. I actually question myself about not passing some knowledge on but it usually extends the project time x2-3 so I usually do it solo plus the fact I'm usually winging it after a few YouTube viewings doesn't usually setup for a proper apprenticeship training session. Usually it's just a matter of survival so people can get to where they need to get to WITHOUT parents hauling them around. My kids are 22, 21 and 17 and all pretty busy between school/work/sports so a little sanity is worth gold. I consider myself extremely lucky with kids that have never caused an ounce of trouble and progressing into adulthood. I will gladly take their lack of automotive/home repair knowledge at this point . When they have to start aquiring their own shit I'm sure they'll be tapping me to help at which point it'll be a better time to pass along some knowledge.
    My dad literally didn't know how to fix SHIT so it took me a long time to aquire skills basically out of need for financial survival in my youth.

No offense taken. I actually question myself about not passing some knowledge on but it usually extends the project time x2-3 so I usually do it solo plus the fact I'm usually winging it after a few YouTube viewings doesn't usually setup for a proper apprenticeship training session. Usually it's just a matter of survival so people can get to where they need to get to WITHOUT parents hauling them around. My kids are 22, 21 and 17 and all pretty busy between school/work/sports so a little sanity is worth gold. I consider myself extremely lucky with kids that have never caused an ounce of trouble and progressing into adulthood. I will gladly take their lack of automotive/home repair knowledge at this point . When they have to start aquiring their own shit I'm sure they'll be tapping me to help at which point it'll be a better time to pass along some knowledge.
    My dad literally didn't know how to fix SHIT so it took me a long time to aquire skills basically out of need for financial survival in my youth.
    Man I am so with you. People talk shit that you should teach kids all this shit but my stepson never wanted to be in the garage with me. I need to fix the problem and move on. I'd rather yell 1000 f bombs at a stuck ballpoint than to have to force him into the garage with me. He draws really well though and tells my wife when something breaks and eventually she tells me maybe. I can't wait till the Subaru finally dies and he gets a Corolla that is his problem. Shrug.

Growing up with a dad who is still way smarter and better at everything than I am he would blow his top when I started working on the Chevette at 11 pm because I wanted it fixed so I could use it to go fishing in the morning...but he couldn't stop me in the end...and he didn't have time to teach me so I learned myself or he'd bail me out as time allowed. Still the best dad ever.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My dad never turned a wrench on a car and other than helping me build a clubhouse in the yard when I was about 13 never taught me shit about working on anything. I figure it out as I go or take it to a shop and watch so I have an idea of how to do it myself the next time.

Um, get em started wrenching on stuff that is smaller and easier?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210501_173801.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	380443

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

No offense taken. I actually question myself about not passing some knowledge on but it usually extends the project time x2-3 so I usually do it solo plus the fact I'm usually winging it after a few YouTube viewings doesn't usually setup for a proper apprenticeship training session.
    I consider myself lucky if something more complicated than an oil change doesn't take me more than 3x book time. I consider the level of gratitude I feel when I can just drop a vehicle off and pick it up fixed one of the bigger positive outcomes of spending a fair amount of time wrenching on shit boxes.

I do very much get that no two people are the same, and some kids (and adults) have zero interest in mechanical stuff. My theory--which admittedly could well change by the time I have offspring who can drive--is that whether or not they want to turn wrenches, they should be capable of knowing when something needs service and understanding that maintaining machinery comes along with using it. One driver in the household who turns up the music when the metal on the wiper starts scraping the glass is plenty.

I do hope they choose to learn to wrench, because I believe there's value in it even if you do choose to pay someone else to do the cursing, but I've worked with enough teenagers to realize that teaching them skills they aren't interested in starts to get into wrestling pigs in mud territory.

I'll get back to yelling at the neighbor kids to get off the lawn now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

My dad taught me how to hold the flashlight, change a tire, and change the oil. That was enough to give me the confidence to take on bigger projects as a young adult.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

One of my wheels has a ding in it and doesn't balance anymore, is ~$150 realistic for the fix and does straightening actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    One of my wheels has a ding in it and doesn't balance anymore, is ~$150 realistic for the fix and does straightening actually work?
    Price seems about right for a good shop. The results all depend on how good they are. Once I slid into a curb and dented and scraped the hell out of my RX-7's BBS alloy rim. I thought it was a goner since it was some exotic ultra-light weight spoked wheel, but shop did a full refurb on it and it looked freaking amazing after they got done with it. Perfectly straight. Was about a hundred bucks many years ago for the best shop around, but this year when I called around to get my A4's rim fixed, I was getting quotes around $100-150.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Wouldn't getting a replacement from the salvage yard be cheaper and easier?

Has anyone used one of these ultrasonic cleaners off of Amazon? I have a bunch of carbs I need to clean this weekend and the consensus on the internet is that this is the way to go.

I don't know if its either cheaper or easier. The alloy wheel guys can knock it out in a couple hrs and give you practically new looking wheel back.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I don't know if its either cheaper or easier. The alloy wheel guys can knock it out in a couple hrs and give you practically new looking wheel back.
    My co worker said the same thing until one of the rear wheels on his 996 exploded on the freeway 20 minutes after it was "straightened."

Everyone has a story about the one time their friend...

Then buy brand new ones. I don't care. Just relating my experience.

I've used Woody's to fix expensive 3 piece OZ wheels and was very happy. They do it all including paint.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Everyone has a story about the one time their friend...

Then buy brand new ones. I don't care. Just relating my experience.
    Disolboy and Datolboy.

In Louisiana in particular these two gentlemen anecdotally disprove ANY common knowledge or wisdoms and they always live nearby.

“Probably shouldn’t jump out of a plane without a parachute.” “Awww, come on, Datolboy from Carencro, flyin his ultralite he figured if he didn’t jump out he’s gonna crash so he jumped out at about a thousand feet and maybe broke his wrist.”

Don’t shoot yourself in the head with a gun. “Aww, come on, Disolboy over there off uh Tab road, he did that every day for two years just to show it don’t hurt much.”

They also typically own a 4x4 that is so badass they use that instead of a boat to run crawfish traps.

240 volt?! Baw, look, look, I’ll tell it like this, that ain’t nuthin. They got Disolboy over there off Ambassador Caffery, he’s runin 241 no lie.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Has anyone used one of these ultrasonic cleaners off of Amazon? I have a bunch of carbs I need to clean this weekend and the consensus on the internet is that this is the way to go.
    Have one that I use for cleaning bike parts, works great.

Make sure you're using appropriate degreaser, obviously, or you'll degrade seals, rubber, anodize, etc. I use ZEP citrus degreaser diluted around 5:1 which works well for anodized aluminum and coated steel. Then a second bath with water. Scrub a little in between stages and parts come out looking like new.

If you can get a cleaner that's large enough to hold 2 containers (each large enough to hold your parts) you can fill one with water and one with diluted degreaser and get both up to temp at once so you're able to run two cycles back to back. That also avoids getting the tank itself all grimy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Disolboy and Datolboy.

In Louisiana in particular these two gentlemen anecdotally disprove ANY common knowledge or wisdoms and they always live nearby.

“Probably shouldn’t jump out of a plane without a parachute.” “Awww, come on, Datolboy from Carencro, flyin his ultralite he figured if he didn’t jump out he’s gonna crash so he jumped out at about a thousand feet and maybe broke his wrist.”

Don’t shoot yourself in the head with a gun. “Aww, come on, Disolboy over there off uh Tab road, he did that every day for two years just to show it don’t hurt much.”

They also typically own a 4x4 that is so badass they use that instead of a boat to run crawfish traps.

240 volt?! Baw, look, look, I’ll tell it like this, that ain’t nuthin. They got Disolboy over there off Ambassador Caffery, he’s runin 241 no lie.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A former brother in law of mine was from Kentucky. If you had a story, he had one ready to top it. I cross checked a couple of the more unbelievable ones, and they did seem to have a kernel of truth, so he wasn't making them all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Have one that I use for cleaning bike parts, works great.

Make sure you're using appropriate degreaser, obviously, or you'll degrade seals, rubber, anodize, etc. I use ZEP citrus degreaser diluted around 5:1 which works well for anodized aluminum and coated steel. Then a second bath with water. Scrub a little in between stages and parts come out looking like new.

If you can get a cleaner that's large enough to hold 2 containers (each large enough to hold your parts) you can fill one with water and one with diluted degreaser and get both up to temp at once so you're able to run two cycles back to back. That also avoids getting the tank itself all grimy.
    Thanks for that. I was just going to try Simple Green, but I think the citrus degreaser would be a better bet.

Prius V front bearing update.

Had to take knuckle all the way out. Super easy. Remove brake hardware. Two bolts and a nut to a stud hold the lower balljoint knuckle on. Pound the tie rod out. Milwaukee on the 2 22 mm strut mount to knuckle bolts. Remove abs sensor.

I spent a bit trying to hammer the bearing sub assembly out of the knuckle and researched some techniques that looked promising and then said fuck it. Had to go to sleep to go to work. Dropped it off at the machine shop on the way home from work and they called me an hour later. $29 dollars to press the rusted sub assembly out of the hub. No reports of difficulty but the pro hadn't done one before so I assume with more time it can be done at home.

Had to go to Aberdeen South Dakota this weekend so project delay but bolted it all back together Sunday night. Super easy. Maybe an hour to do it right and that included relubing the brake sliders and punching out the broken cotter key from the tie rod end. Clean up the knuckle with steel wool and grease it so the new bearing assembly pulls right in with the bolts properly torqued on the workbench. Definitely don't think folk are doing themselves any favors leaving the knuckle in the car for this job.

Nice quiet Timkin bearing now. I think that was $124 plus ship from Rock Auto so all fixed for under $175.

Here are torque specs direct from Toyota for anybody that finds this in a search or for the other couple lucky Prius V owners here. I did add some blue locktite to the lower balljoint bracket to lower control arm fasteners. That is standard on the 4R and I figured it'll keep the rust out of there and give me peace of mind that those two important bolts and one nut won't back out going down the road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prius v torque specs.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	380684

Wife called and reported a check engine light on Monday. Scan with my OBDII module confirmed I suck at screwing gas caps back on when I get gas for my wife. No good deed goes unpunished but easy fix with the Torque app to reset the light.

On way to Aberdeen the brakes on the back of the 4R started grinding. FML. Ignore the warning tinsel twinkle for one trip too many. Turned out to be another easy fix tonight. Calipers still moving nicely. New pads, sliders, heavy brake lube on the pins. $26 good as new for now. Till the Iowa salt kills the calipers for good.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-27-2021 at 10:24 PM.

^^
    #WINNING

Nice work! I can only imagine what the dealer would've charged for that same job.

Range Rover 20" wheels from junkyards are scarce and scary expensive for questionable quality. New is out of the question.

Frey the Wheel Man used to fix wheels. Make a call to them and/or Buffalo Frame Repair and get educated?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.