Page 107 of 236 FirstFirst ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    A tire that's low will run hot. That's not a replacement for a tire gage, but it's a quick indicator of a problem
    I get the concept, I just think it's lazy AF.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I get the concept, I just think it's lazy AF.
    I mean I'm not gonna check every tire pressure at every fuel stop when I'm towing a tandem axle trailer long distance, but I do check all 8 wheels and tires with my cheap IR gun at pretty much every stop, since it is super quick and easy.

For a hot brake check I lick my finger, touch the disc and if I hear a sizzle it's too hot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91BC5F40-33D1-438A-A7F1-DCF3667973D4.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	379122

Name:	92DD27BF-8722-48B6-A853-1C00EB5E0E95.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	328.0 KB 
ID:	379123

TF? How about a tire gauge? So you really check your tire pressures with a temp gun?
    Set them with a tire gauge, shoot the hubs and tires at each stop. It's not foolproof, but if you're already checking hub temperatures, it's damn near zero extra effort and should still catch a slow leak because the temp won't match the other tire on that side (with dual axles; single axle trailers, YMMV as side to side temps can vary with road angle and sun exposure).

I also don't love putting a tire gauge on a hot tire if your baseline pressure is cold.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

Name:	91BC5F40-33D1-438A-A7F1-DCF3667973D4.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	379122

Name:	92DD27BF-8722-48B6-A853-1C00EB5E0E95.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	328.0 KB 
ID:	379123
    So, while you're in there....

https://reno.craigslist.org/pts/d/el...349205192.html

(not mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yes! lol

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Set them with a tire gauge, shoot the hubs and tires at each stop. It's not foolproof, but if you're already checking hub temperatures, it's damn near zero extra effort and should still catch a slow leak because the temp won't match the other tire on that side (with dual axles; single axle trailers, YMMV as side to side temps can vary with road angle and sun exposure).

I also don't love putting a tire gauge on a hot tire if your baseline pressure is cold.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Seriously. Do you hear yourself?!! I get it. If you're a long haul driver, yes, check them with a gun when you fill up. I doubt that applies to 99% of folks here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what your suggesting is that you have a problem with the differential between your PRESSURE GAUGE and your TIRE PRESSURE and not the differential between the TIRE PRESSURE and your TEMPERATURE gun.

Woah.
    Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 07-10-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Seriously. Do you hear yourself?!! I get it. If you're a long haul driver, yes, check them with a gun when you fill up. I doubt that applies to 99% of folks here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what your suggesting is that you have a problem with the differential between your PRESSURE GAUGE and your TIRE PRESSURE and not the differential between the TIRE PRESSURE and your TEMPERATURE gun.

Woah.
    Count me in the 1%. Towed my trailer 350 miles today and it sure was good piece of mind to check hub and tire temps with the 100+ heat.

Woah.
    You are wrong.

He is saying that checking the temperature is a quick and dirty method to tell if something has changed since he used the gauge.

Checking it with the gauge while on the road will give a higher pressure than you set up while in the driveway.

A low tire will run hotter than the others.
    Simple and smart.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    You are wrong.

He is saying that checking the temperature is a quick and dirty method to tell if something has changed since he used the gauge.

Checking it with the gauge while on the road will give a higher pressure than you set up while in the driveway.

A low tire will run hotter than the others.
    Simple and smart.
    Good Christ, you guys are fucking dense. I get the whole temp gauge thing. Put that to bed. I think it's retarded to think that it's a better idea to trust a temp gun over a pressure gauge. I could stick my goddamned finger in the middle of a brisket to see how it's doing, or I could use a thermometer. Which more accurate? If your tires are running 10psi higher because of running temperatures, you've got some serious problems.

Is this what happens when you get as old as you cunts are? You stick to a position no matter how asinine it is?

Well, an old cunt suggested it to me a long time ago, and it has saved me from having to jack a trailer on the side of a highway one time, so I think it was good advice. I also carry an entire set of replacement hubs when tailoring boats. Much easier to replace the entire assembly. Old cunts have been there and done that. Better to listen to them sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So, while you're in there....

https://reno.craigslist.org/pts/d/el...349205192.html

(not mine)
    Dam, V8 in a vanagon. Front wheels would never touch, lol

I’m looking for an EJ205 at the moment. Found a full car, cracked block made me pass.

. if you're already checking hub temperatures, it's damn near zero extra effort
    Fortunately nearly all of us understand and agree.

Moving on…..

Wooh! Had a big scare upon coming home from Montucky this weekend. When I came home, there was a butt ton of oil in the driveway coming from under my geriatric Trailblazer. Pulled it into the garage, threw the kitty litter on the drive, and said "screw it" til I could check it out the next day.

Put it up on the ramps, cleaned everything up, and saw the problem straight away. Was simply a broken drain plug washer. OEM uses some kind of rubber washers and this is the first one I had fail on me. Changed the oil right before my trip (195K, baby!) and might've over-torqued it a bit, or it failed from heat. Either way, crisis averted. Thank GOD! I do NOT need a big expensive car repair right now. Easiest fix ever. Pulled the plug. Shoved my finger in the drain hole to plug it up. Had my 5 year old swap out the washer, and popped the plug back in. Good to go! Guess I didn't lose that much oil since the level was still fine in the end.

Bullet dodged but you fucked up. There was obviously too much oil in there before.

I am going to solve the related problems for good and get a Fumoto valve for my truck before the next oil change.

Oh, thanks for the reminder! Every time I change the oil I say to myself "OK, I really need to order that valve" and then I forget. I just placed the order.

Now I just need to avoid making a mess when changing the oil filter. Does anyone have a suggestion for this besides puncturing the filter or using a "bucket wrench" (an oil filter wrench with a cup to catch the oil)?

Haha on mine it's directly above the subframe so as it runs out when you pull the filter it splashes all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Oh, thanks for the reminder! Every time I change the oil I say to myself "OK, I really need to order that valve" and then I forget. I just placed the order.

Now I just need to avoid making a mess when changing the oil filter. Does anyone have a suggestion for this besides puncturing the filter or using a "bucket wrench" (an oil filter wrench with a cup to catch the oil)?
    On some rigs you can out a plastic bag over it after initially loosening it. Still get a little mess but not nearly as bad.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Haha on mine it's directly above the subframe so as it runs out when you pull the filter it splashes all over the place.
    Ugh! That sounds really annoying!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    On some rigs you can out a plastic bag over it after initially loosening it. Still get a little mess but not nearly as bad.
    In mine I can almost unscrew it all the way before it starts spilling, and I have enough space around it to give this a try, sounds like a good idea. Sometimes I can remove it in a quick move and put it on top of the drain pan without much splashing. Others the oil starts running down my arm and gets everywhere, that's why I figured it was time to try a different approach.

196,500 miles and the 12 Prius V has its first real breakdown that wasn't related to user error with a bad front wheel bearing. Bolt in they say! Knuckle out today and going to machine shop tomorrow. No way in hell I am getting it out without a press or a pneumatic hammer but yeah I tried and I failed. Now rather than waste a bunch more time I turn to the pros to bail me out.

Previous repairs on the car were new front wheel lugs because they somehow were stretched by either me or the Toyota dealer during a tire rotation for the free service the first couple years we owned it. Also a radiator and ac condenser after a deer strike and one set of brake pads.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Drained the Jet Skis. Not sure if it's E85 or SFB's piss.

Try to light it. I heard SFB's piss burns slower--you don't get that "woosh."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

SFB's piss is 50% thc.

If you burn it, don't plan on getting much done for the rest of the day.

Forgot about this thread. Engine swap is coming along. Delayed a bit due to a full dash replacement. Almost ready to fire it up but a short piece of fuel line is needed still.