Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2272
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you realize there is seriously nothing up here eh ?
    Yeah, I sure do. Maybe not quite as far flung as Bell 2, but it isn't far off the mark.

This Week in Canada...

Hundreds stuck at Fraser Valley ski resort making the best of it in 'winter wonderland'

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5449342

Hundreds of people stuck at a ski resort in the Fraser Valley are trying to make the best of it as crews scramble to repair the only access road.
    On Friday evening, heavy rains caused a mudslide to washout much of Hemlock Valley Road outside Agassiz, B.C., which leads to Sasquatch Mountain Resort.
    Since the mudslide, there has been no vehicle access to the resort. Earlier in the weekend, up to 500 people were stuck there.
    The weather also cut power to the site, but staff say the resort has generator power.
    "Everyone has been calm and supportive and understanding," said Shelby Lim, director of sales, marketing and development for the resort, over the phone.
    "We're in a situation beyond our control and there is no place better to be. You're up here in a winter wonderland."
    The resort had planned to host a ski race over the weekend. Many skiers and their families were already on the mountain.
    Lim said everyone there, including some staff, has accommodation.

Six more days before fix

On Saturday, the province said one kilometre of the road was washed out. Crews are removing debris.
    The plan is to restore one lane and implement single-lane alternating traffic, but in a statement the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure said that could take up to six days to complete.
    On Saturday, the resort partnered with a local helicopter company to fly some people off the mountain to the airport in Chilliwack at a cost of $150 each. The company is also flying in supplies.
    "We have a pretty good system going here," said Lim.
    Lim says about 100 people have left so far. Those who are willing to sit it out aren't suffering, she added.
    "We have Super Bowl going on," she said.
    Lim said a local state of emergency and water shut off due to a main break isn't affecting the resort, which has its own water.
    As for food, Lim says the resort is stocked for days as it was expecting up to 2,000 people to be at the resort over the weekend.
    "We are well supplied for the weekend and into the early week. And anything that we feel like we'll be missing or need to top up on, we have the helicopter brining up for us," she said.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    To relax, I sing La Marseillaise and, when things get really bad, the Russian national anthem.
    that's how she's done... thanks for the read.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    This Week in Canada...

Hundreds stuck at Fraser Valley ski resort making the best of it in 'winter wonderland'

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5449342
    would have been cooler if they'd run the lifts....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

no power eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

And no diesel-powered lifts. Ah, the good ol' days when you offloaded a fixed-grip to the sweet smell of combusted veggie/dino oil.

a buddy who used to wrench there sez you can still get out thru Pemberton

Heh, all the way up Harrison Lk and Lillooet Lk on winter FSR. Given the freeze/thaw, that road might have sections of ice that the locals can play hockey on. Probably a full daylight's drive to get back to Abbotsford or the 'wack. I'd take the $150 heli flight in an instant. Or give the boss a sob story and enjoy the week at the resort. Betcha the power is re-established before the access.

Down in the valley they were in speedos cranking turns

https://www.facebook.com/92832025402...1130915072355/

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

well ya but how bout the skier who took the whole fam up there and the family SUV, do you wait 6 days for a road to get built or is highways gona plow the road to get out ?

I think it used to be Hemlock valley when I skied there

well ya but how bout the skier who took the whole fam up there and the family SUV, do you wait 6 days for a road to get built or is highways gona plow the road to get out ?

There's no way to get vehicles down to the West Harrison FSR and even if you could you wouldn't make Pemberton. About km 65 it turns into a 4x4 road for 10-15 kms until you hit Sloquet River hotsprings.
    I drove it once, in the summer and it was narly... I can't imagine what 120mm of rain in one storm would do to it, never mind the 29 days of rain in January.

It's fun little ski hill, super old school. I sure as shit wouldn't want to be stuck up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Down in the valley they were in speedos cranking turns

https://www.facebook.com/92832025402...1130915072355/

That guy HAS to be one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    That guy HAS to be one of us.
    Difficult to be too proud when youre in speedos and the water is literally ice. Not giving af

I thought it still was until just now when I looked at their website.

If there's no power, how are the webcams still live? https://sasquatchmountain.ca/weather...tions/webcams/

I think it's a scam i.e. management just doesn't want to spin the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    There's no way to get vehicles down to the West Harrison FSR and even if you could you wouldn't make Pemberton. About km 65 it turns into a 4x4 road for 10-15 kms until you hit Sloquet River hotsprings.
    I drove it once, in the summer and it was narly... I can't imagine what 120mm of rain in one storm would do to it, never mind the 29 days of rain in January.
    Harrison West is fucked and currently impassible. Traveling that road is the last thing anyone should have on their mind after all that rain.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

This Week in Canada...

Unhappy meal: 5 charged after massive mushroom and cocaine seizure at Airdrie McDonald's
    CALGARY -- A stolen credit card purchase at an Airdrie McDonald's led RCMP to the arrest of two adults and three youths, each of whom face multiple charges after a search of their vehicle led to the discovery of more than 600 grams of magic mushrooms and 28 grams of cocaine.
    Criminal masterminds got the munchies...and then the munchies got them.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/w...ndup-1.5458383

this has been playing out locally just east of here

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...kade-1.5459893

Blockade of all rail traffic on the west coast and the east coast

CN is shut down entirely

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...kade-1.5459893

Blockade of all rail traffic on the west coast and the east coast

CN is shut down entirely
    Easy fix. Don't build the pipeline across that land. No sympathy. I am taking the side of the traditional leaders, not the elected leadership. What do I know? I m not from Canada, and I am not First Nations. I do know they got/get fucked over royally in both countries throughout history.

You must have read the Delgamuukw decision which was later backed up by Tsilcotin ?

Idle no more had died down but now whitey is trying to tell the FN who runs their territory, failure to meet with the Hereditary chiefs, lack of consultation, making deals with band chiefs who had no business accepting the deal or the money, lack of respect and its a big fucking mess costing CN a million a day

Out west the highways and railways run thru their govy assigned reserves all the way to the coast so the FN can just thro up a roadblock any time they want, there will be too many cousins for a small detachment to safely remove without a big delay and there aint a damn thing CN or the RCMP can do about it

I don't know anything about the Mohawks but they are quoted as saying they don't mind violence so bring it on

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/t...ting-1.5460005

The Mohawk give the RCMP a big fuck you ^^

The two sacred cows of Canada, the railways and first nations coming up against each other is going to be awesome. The government will fucking implode before taking action against either.
    Sooner or later someone is going to get really pissed off.
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

It's really crazy what is happening. Standing up against pipelines so that they have to move the dangerous goods by rail, and then shutting down the railways. This really shinning a light on Trudeau's hypocrisy towards the environment and reconciliation. Now the Feds are saying it's the provinces that are responsible for clearing the blockade in Ontario. If I'm recalling correctly the last time the O.P.P. tried to intervene in first nations protests things did not go so well.
    27° 18°

Trudeau is hoping for a quick resolution

Mark Garneau is passing the loonie saying its up to the provinces to take care of their own shit

Horgan didnt call the cops yesturday but I think he was just afraid cops would make things worse

this all started with the ousted BC premier Christie Clark , they all knew the Delgamuukw decision cuz in the opposition critic (NDP) told the Libs about hereditary chiefs and how the system all works but they chose to play fast and loose and ok'd the project, Trudeau & Horgan have obviously agreed to push this project thru and now they have to deal with the fallout

I think this is Idle no more V2.0 with bigger and better updates,

goggle sez the movement started with 4 women 3 of them FN

when i first heard the term "idle no more" i thought it meant the first nations were going to start working at all these projects to raise themselves up....
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Easy fix. Don't build the pipeline across that land. No sympathy. I am taking the side of the traditional leaders, not the elected leadership. What do I know? I m not from Canada, and I am not First Nations. I do know they got/get fucked over royally in both countries throughout history.
    Their traditional territory is massive and you unfortunately can't just zig around it due to the geography of the region. I agree that they've gotten a raw deal throughout history

This has to be causing a lot of conflict within communities and between nations in the area. The hereditary leadership structure follows the customary law of that nation...but a lot of people within the Wet’suwet’en community obviously disagree with these hereditary leaders.

Two Wet’suwet’en Nation members at the forefront of the opposition to Coastal GasLink – Freda Huson, a Wet’suwet’en Nation hereditary chief, and Warner Naziel, who goes by the name hereditary Chief Smogelgem – actually ran in the Witset Band Council election (in Wet’suwet’en) last August. Chief Smogelgem would have maintained jurisdiction over the land either way, since the Supreme Court’s Delgamuukw decision upheld aboriginal title over unceded land, essentially meaning that hereditary chiefs – not elected chiefs and council – have authority over off-reserve land. But the election was nevertheless an opportunity for Chief Smogelgem to represent his band as both an elected spokesperson as well as a Wet’suwet’en hereditary chief.

The Witset membership, however, had other ideas, and elected a pro-GasLink candidate, Sandra George, over Chief Smogelgem and Ms. Huson. That outcome, along with the council’s approval of the pipeline, ought to signal the temperature of members on the issue.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-that-support/

And the hereditary leaders have revoked hereditary title from people who disagree: "We’ve stripped the names from three female hereditary chiefs for supporting the pipeline."
    https://aptnnews.ca/2018/11/29/hered...imous-consent/

The Delgamuukw was a game changer all right. It does say, however, that Aboriginal title could be infringed on for the "the general economic development of the interior of British Columbia." With governments providing critical infrastructure such as highways and health care services throughout the province, sooner or later they will try to collect, for better or for worse.