Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Whoops, forgot to include the Kermode descriptor to the white black bear handle...but, I kinda avoided it 'cause I didn't want to start a 'spirit bear' vs. 'kermode' bear name debate...

As for craziest wildlife encounters, man oh man, where to start...would it be opening the front door living in Rupert and come face to face with a huge black bear in our garage? The town dump had recently closed and all the garbage bears scattered into town lookin' for food. Would it be going for a recon drive up William's Creek, coming around a bend in the road and ran into two Grizzlies doing it like they do on the discovery channel...and the dude wouldn't stop his business till he was finished..what are the odds????... Would it be commercial fishing off of Haida Gwaii and have a huge mofo of a Grey Whale snag into our gear, start pulling our troller over sideways untill the lines snapped 'BIIIIINNNNNGGGG', and see the poor guy surface with a bunch of flashers/hooks stuck on his back with the odd flapping salmon along for the ride...man I felt sick about that one....Would it be heliskiing up north of Stewart, landing on a 6000 foot elevation alpine ridge, like 2000 vert feet above treeline....skiing down off the landing to regroup. Spotted a porquipine carcass sitting half buried by the evening's snowfall atop the snow. Thought that was weird, then skied down the bowl...picked up by heli, flew back to same landing...spotted a wolverine just GIVIN'ER down and laterally across the bowl we skied, coming from the general direction of our heli landing... Got dropped off, skied back down to the regroup spot a bit down from the landing and, voila, mystery of the porquipine carcass solved. We were standing right on top of the little bastard's den on the previous regroup!!!! Peeking inside seeing partially consumed carcass, meat, bones, quills, blood....totally creepy. Or, would it be getting attacked by a Sand Lake piranha (I swear ) after skiing in June, heading down to adjacent lake to dip the sore feet in the water while sitting on a little dock....then outta nowhere the fish started chomping on my toes, taking out good sized little chunks...it was some weird bullhead looking thing. I totally freaked out, got the fuck right outta there; most traumatic of all the wildlife encounters.
    Master of mediocrity.

For those of you that have seen a Wolverine I say.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    About 15 years ago, on Lake of the Woods, a few miles south of Kenora; coming home from a day of fishing and we spotted a moose swimming from island to island. We killed the motor, sipped beers, and watched until it hit shore.

That is a beauty pic.

Excellent stories Swiss (copulating grizzlies=awesome) and sadly I am with Kenny in that I have never had a Wolverine encounter.

I've also had some super good mountain goat encounters. Now those are some f*ckin' cool animals. The big, jacked up billies...all majestic. Beautiful.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fishing off a cliff near Alert Bay in the 80's, about 50 feet( 16 meters) up off the water,when a minke whale swam right up under the rock face. Completely harmless,but scared the shit out of me. ( I was twelve)

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

Watching 15+ grizzlies at the Inuvik dump was something else.

Later that day we were boating in the Mackenzie river and a big cow moose swam right past us as we were drifting. Poor old broad was so covered in bugs she could barely breath... Nostrils and face all full of mosquitoes.

When I was a kid I spent a few days with a trapper/outfitter in the Cariboo mountains. He was live trapping lynx and bobcat for some university researchers. There's nothing like sitting on the back of a sled inches from a couple cages filled with pure rage. Beautiful animals. Big paws on them.

I was visiting some friends in Beaverdell, and they set up a big Canadian Tire tent for me to sleep in in their yard. I didn't end up spending the night, and good thing because the next morning there was bear shit all over the yard and the tent had been gone through by Mr. Bear.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    As a young lad my 'rents took us to Wood Buffalo Provincial Park in Alberta. The father of the other family with us ("Al") was Saskatchewanese. There were some bulls laying in the dirt about 50 meters off the road. Al decided he wanted a photo so started walking through the brush toward them. He got about 10 meters away and threw a tree limb at them. Buffalo stood up. Al covered the 40 meters back to the car in three steps.
    Went back to school to U of A as an adult. From the Slocan Valley to Edmonton was harsh. Urban blues were quelled by my Sunday morning ritual; slow, long runs at Elk Island National Park . I'd get out there fairly early and on more than one occasion I would have to wake up a bunch of bison sleeping across the trail and environ. Felt weird waking up a bunch of 1500+ pound bison and sweet talking them to move out of my way. A gentle wake up and some sort of chill outflanking maneuver was my protocol. They were always cool.

Killer stories gentlemen. Very visual.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 09-27-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanfruit View Post
    Fishing off a cliff near Alert Bay in the 80's, about 50 feet( 16 meters) up off the water,when a minke whale swam right up under the rock face. Completely harmless,but scared the shit out of me. ( I was twelve)

Coming back from a forestry gig up Portland Inlet, late 90's. Boat captain asks us if we want to see a whale. Diverts course a bit and next thing you know a Grey whale surfaces right next to us. Incredible. Thing looked like a dinosaur. Massive vertebrae poking out as it arched back into a dive. Very other-worldly.

You guys have me thinking back to all the these cool animal encounters I had kinda forgotten about over the years.

Forgot about my latest wolverine sighting...last may...I ski toured right by the red colored bloody snow on the way up the mountain. Recent wolverine tracks all around that area but no sighting...I made lots of noise. After ascending about 200 vertical meters I stopped for a rest break, looked back down to the bottom of the bowl and spotted the lil guy scouting out his kill zone. I was a little sketched... The only route outta there was in the general area of his zone and through some subalpine meadows where I spotted his tracks frozen in the snow in the a.m. Four hours later, I did my descent and cruised through the area cautiously, noting that his latest track was to my skier's left through the same meadows I had to travel through to get back to truck...thankfully, he let me pass without incident.

Name:  P1070318.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  67.0 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070318.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	933.9 KB 
ID:	212868
    Master of mediocrity.

Good news, getting hammered and paddling will no longer cost demerits on your licence!

http://nationalpost.com/news/politic...riving-offence
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    If not the Beaver then it should be the Snowy Owl
    I say who - who can agree with that
    This didn't get the recognition it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    This didn't get the recognition it deserves.
    much obliged old wise one

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/new-...ults-1.4315704

The NDP elect as their leader a sword carrying, turban wearing Sikh

could he even get into the USA?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/new-...ults-1.4315704

The NDP elect as their leader a sword carrying, turban wearing Sikh

could he even get into the USA?
    He's a rockstar. FKNA

I'm a card carrying NDP er so far as the local MLA & MP but I didnt really pay attention, really so all i seen of the guy was when he did the bit with Shaun Majumderhttps://www.facebook.com/search/str/...Y4ZTRhNzE2NyJ9

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41516612
    Canada prison escapees caught by police in escape room

Two Canadian women who escaped prison ran out of luck when they were cornered by police at a jail-cell simulation for thrill seekers.
    The women fled an Edmonton, Alberta, prison on Monday, but were arrested the next day at a so-called escape room.
    Police traced them to the facility, where people pay to solve puzzles that will unlock the doors of mock dungeons.
    Despite their practical experience, the fugitives were unable to pull off another escape.

the Province of Ontario will be selling Marijuana at government stores

This is going to be interesting to see how they will determine what level is considered DUI

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...light=Stocking

Some interesting points made in the thread KQ started

LE fook ya!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

LE fook ya!
    Buddy is trying way too hard. Very unCanadian if you ask me.

Johnny Kaos has an old enticer, mebe we should do a few laps at the catholic school and build a jump eh?

send it

I miss my old Enticer.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parkng View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's bad form to bump your own content but if you haven't already checked this out, do yourself a favour. I've been watching this with my grade 7 class the last couple days. Cheesy music but profoundly compelling images.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...obit-1.4359906

Goprd Downie of the Tragicaly hip passes at 53 due to brain cancer

After the announcement he was terminal I been wondering when he would go

I always thot the band had a great name

if you can listen to a radio there will be tributes on CBC

He gave the ultimate parting gift to his fans...himself...when we saw the Hip show in Vancouver on the final tour the previous summer, it felt like he was projecting every last ounce of his vital musical life force to his fans...he left it all on the stage for us. Thank you Gord for a lifetime of love to your music and fans; rest easy. The inspiration he provided not just for my musical proclivities but for skiing energy, soundtracks in my mind while skinning uphill and charging pow choked descents will live on to my own end days.

A run I did for Gord in May 25 of 2016. Sent him some positive vibes from the mountains after news was released the previous day about his terminal brain cancer.

We live to survive our paradoxes.

<font color="#F0F8FF"><span style="font-family: Helvetica">

Master of mediocrity.