Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52
Results 1,276 to 1,282 of 1282
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Easy fix. Don't build the pipeline across that land. No sympathy. I am taking the side of the traditional leaders, not the elected leadership. What do I know? I m not from Canada, and I am not First Nations. I do know they got/get fucked over royally in both countries throughout history.
    Their traditional territory is massive and you unfortunately can't just zig around it due to the geography of the region. I agree that they've gotten a raw deal throughout history

This has to be causing a lot of conflict within communities and between nations in the area. The hereditary leadership structure follows the customary law of that nation...but a lot of people within the Wet’suwet’en community obviously disagree with these hereditary leaders.

Two Wet’suwet’en Nation members at the forefront of the opposition to Coastal GasLink – Freda Huson, a Wet’suwet’en Nation hereditary chief, and Warner Naziel, who goes by the name hereditary Chief Smogelgem – actually ran in the Witset Band Council election (in Wet’suwet’en) last August. Chief Smogelgem would have maintained jurisdiction over the land either way, since the Supreme Court’s Delgamuukw decision upheld aboriginal title over unceded land, essentially meaning that hereditary chiefs – not elected chiefs and council – have authority over off-reserve land. But the election was nevertheless an opportunity for Chief Smogelgem to represent his band as both an elected spokesperson as well as a Wet’suwet’en hereditary chief.

The Witset membership, however, had other ideas, and elected a pro-GasLink candidate, Sandra George, over Chief Smogelgem and Ms. Huson. That outcome, along with the council’s approval of the pipeline, ought to signal the temperature of members on the issue.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-that-support/

And the hereditary leaders have revoked hereditary title from people who disagree: "We’ve stripped the names from three female hereditary chiefs for supporting the pipeline."
    https://aptnnews.ca/2018/11/29/hered...imous-consent/

The Delgamuukw was a game changer all right. It does say, however, that Aboriginal title could be infringed on for the "the general economic development of the interior of British Columbia." With governments providing critical infrastructure such as highways and health care services throughout the province, sooner or later they will try to collect, for better or for worse.

Horgan & Trudeau have spawned the perfect storm of pissed off indigenous peoples and the enviro's of which vancover is teeming enviros are getting arrested for fun and the FN have sucessfully shut down the CN rail which was the industrial lifeline of industry for Canada on both sides of the country

ya big territory and to the Wetsueten add the Gitxan territory and all those pissed off folks

A hereditary chief can lose the gig if they are deemed to be fucking up, its like getting voted off the island and its happend out on the coast fairly recently, I would say any hereditary chief signing deals with industry on his or her own is very liable to lose their gig which is what happend to the Wetsueten female chiefs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

maybe not the best thread to post this? maybe has been posted already and i didn't find it?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6566846/s...kanagan-skier/

In a news release on Tuesday, Freestyle Canada announced the death of 19-year-old Brayden Kuroda of Penticton, stating he passed away suddenly Monday night.

42-year-old emergency goalie saves the day for Hurricanes

Ayres was the emergency goalie for both Carolina and Toronto on Saturday night, as is normal under NHL rules, and was pressed into action for the Hurricanes. He’s been the emergency backup in Toronto for the last three years, according to the Toronto Sun. Ayres had a kidney transplant in 2004.

Carolina starter James Reimer was knocked out in the first period with a lower-body injury, and backup Petr Mrazek was knocked out in the second period in a collision with Toronto forward Kyle Clifford.

Ayres made eight saves and allowed two goals in 28 minutes, helping the Hurricanes to a 6-3 win.

“It was awesome, obviously the time of my life out there,” Ayres said postgame. “Once in a lifetime, I’ll take it.”
    Fk'n eh story.

Which makes Toronto the only NHL team ever to lose to the Zamboni driver
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Which makes Toronto the only NHL team ever to lose to the Zamboni driver
    How pathetically true.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Stumpy luv, Ren hate.

Quick Dick McDick

I've become a fan of this guy
    I know it's political but yet very entertaining
    Rated Eh for Canadians