Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Thanks, buddy.

I'm guessing the BCs were about a pound heavier per ski. Honestly, I've never really noticed the weight difference between the ZeroGs, Synapses, or Backcountries when I'm skinning. The only time I really notice the weight difference is when I carry the skis by hand or on my shoulders.

The UL 111 GPO sounds dope. I think they break my ~$400-or-less rule for buying skis though. (I know Keith puts things on sale, but I've never seen them under $600.)
    Maybe some 106's might pop up (skinny GPO's) now that +/- 10 mm versions are stock
    Aggressive in my own mind

What are other skis like the Synapse 109 (rocker/flat/rocker, pretty light, ~95-110mm under foot)?
    -Volkl BMT 109 (expensive AF)
    -old Blizzard Scout (NOT light)
    -4Frnt Raven (185 is too big as a volcano ski for me)
    -Next year's Corvus Freebird alleged to be flat cambered (not available)
    -Black Crows Daemon (not much out there about it that's not Epic ski bullshit about carving groomers at Mt. Snow. Very intrigued by this one).

Love the versatility of flat camber. I wish the Synapse had a bit less rocker splay and am wondering what else is out there that I might be missing. AKB's use case for the Synapse is pretty much exactly like mine, just wondering about a bit less splay.

G3 Synapse 109 Review (ZeroG 95 Related)

Beast 108.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Beast 108.
    Jesus. I just fondled that goddamned thing last weekend and totally forgot already. Good call.

I cracked up while reading this. I tore a dynafit toe piece out of some blizzards last year hitting a buried tree, did not expect this to be a shared experience
    Yeah don't get me wrong, I am a Blizzard fanboy for sure... But I still think those longish tapered tips on skis like this synapse are great for many backcountry conditions, as long as you're not using them to pound through inbounds chop and crud. I do seem to be a magnet for objects not made of snow though. Could have something to do with the fact that I just found out I don't see too well, not well enough to legally operate a motor vehicle apparently. Working on getting that sorted out though.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Anybody with time on Moment Meridian tour? Fit's in that full reverse category albeit with a couple hundy extra grams.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    The whole ZeroG line seems pretty badass but the Synapses seem more my style per AKBruins write-up. I'm pretty sure i'd be totally happy with his same quiver of two with maybe a true phatty to round it out, but wonder about the narrower synapse. Just not sure such a heavily rockered ski as the Synapse 92 would be so great for skiing/uphilling on hard snow. Weird transitional glop in the PNW and elsewhere might just be better on the ZeroG95. Then again not.
    Would love to hear comparison between Synapse 92 and ZeroG95.
    I've also wondered about the narrow GPO but also concerned about messing with the design. My ultralite Woo2 ski pow just fine but ski crud and variable like dogshit.
    I can give a bit of perspective to complement AK's review. I'm in CO, and find the sized down versions of the same skis to be excellent (zerog85, synapse 92/101) in our lighter snow. I originally bought the synapse 92 because the 101s were sold out. I was blown away by how fun it was in powder for such a skinny ski. I used it to ski a few spring lines here and there, and while totally adequate, I did find that it lacked a bit compared to a more mountaineering focused shape. This year I relegated the 92s to rock skis, and picked up the 101s. The 101 is such an awesome lightweight powder ski. Easy to break loose, predictable, just pure fun. I cant think of a scenario where I'd recommend the 92 over the 101. I ski it alternately with an Alien RS or Maestrale RS2.0. Both boots handle it no problem. The Alien demands a bit more engagement from the skier, but it's certainly the best featherweight, ninja-powder setup I've been on. The maestrale is a bit more forgiving on drops etc.

The zerog 85 compared to the synpase 92 is much more confidence inspiring in steep terrain. It still does well in soft snow, but requires notably more input and balance than either synapse. I only ski the zerog in Aliens. I'm not sure I'd ever take either synapse over the zerog to ski spring steeps and corn - not that it wouldnt be fun, just that I prefer the predictability and confidence of the zerog. It seems like the G3 Findr is the more apt comparison to the zerog IMO.

So, for the TLDR version, I agree with AK about Synapse/ZeroG being an outstanding 2 ski touring quiver, and whereas 109/95 might be the sweetspot in CA, I think 101/85 is the sweet spot in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    So, for the TLDR version, I agree with AK about Synapse/ZeroG being an outstanding 2 ski touring quiver, and whereas 109/95 might be the sweetspot in CA, I think 101/85 is the sweet spot in CO.
    Good to hear. I've had ZeroG108's for a couple years, really like them, but don't need 108 waist and 1650g skis every day I'm out. I'd been wanting the 85's as a supplement and was hoping they had enough substance to justify. Sounds like you like them pretty well around CO.

I picked up a pair of new Zero G 185's a few weeks ago, had the opportunity to try them out yesterday and thought some of you with more experience on them could give me a little feedback.

I ordered them online and when I waxed them up I noticed that the wax wasn't scraping off the centers of the tips and tails. My true bar shows they are very edge high, looks like about 0.5 mm about 20"-24" through both the tips and tails, both skis. What's up with that? I've never had a new pair of skis that were delivered edge high.

I had already mounted a set of Dynafit Vertical ST's so decided to ski them and see how they worked. I did lightly detune the very tip and tail edges, only about 4"-6". When edged and pressured they had a fast left to right waver like they couldn't find a line. I'm assuming this is simply the edge high condition, perhaps combined with needing the edges detuned over a bit longer distance. This is my first pair of Blizzard skis ever. Are all Blizzards delivered this way?