Backcountry style Vests?

Wondering what type of Vests are being used out there by the MAGS. looking for a in between full on pack and no pack. Saw a few guys at BBI17 wearing them.
    what are you guys using? Any Pros/Cons?

Ask Norseman. His vest looks well designed

Hi. I have one of the WARY brand vests, bought on closeout from a web retailer in Utah. They've been out of production for a couple years and I'd bet you wouldn't be able to find one in your size unless it's used... but I don't think very many were made in the first place.

Dakine and TNF both make similar vests and I've seen a few. Heard that the Dakines run a little large/baggy.

I dig the vest for resort riding and close sidecountry, but would never consider touring with one. Not enough volume and too hot.
    Last edited by Norseman; 05-10-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Sidecountry is exactly the use I was looking for ! Thanks Norsman

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Hi. I have one of the WARY brand vests, bought on closeout from a web retailer in Utah. They've been out of production for a couple years and I'd bet you wouldn't be able to find one in your size unless it's used... but I don't think very many were made in the first place.

Dakine and TNF both make similar vests and I've seen a few. Heard that the Dakines run a little large/baggy.

I dig the vest for resort riding and close sidecountry, but would never consider touring with one. Not enough volume and too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    Sidecountry is exactly the use I was looking for ! Thanks Norsman
    Also:

I like having front pockets that expand outward (vs inward on jackets), as they remain smooth and comfy on the inside. I also like keeping the mass of my gear close and tight to my body all the time, with the shovel blade as the outer shell protector for my stuff (& spine).

You talking avie bags or just a vest capable of holding gear/skins/ski carry? If latter I dig my North face vest.

Good point. OP?

fwiw, mine is an airbag vest.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Good point. OP?

fwiw, mine is an airbag vest.
    I was onto you at wary... North face also makes an airbag vest. I didn't know the Dakine had airbags. They for sure have a vest.

I second hot as fuck...very slackcountry oriented. Pockets on the North face expand out. Can easily fit big shovel, probe, skins, extra gloves, and some misc items. could use the carry strap for your heavy layer on the up.

Loved using a vest inbounds this season, started with the NF but it was a little small for me so I got a Dakine. The NF is higher quality, but the Dakine works fine.

NF vest is for sale: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...der-Guide-Vest
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-11-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Loved using a vest inbounds this season, started with the NF but it was a little small for me so I got a Dakine. The NF is higher quality, but the Dakine works fine.

NF vest is for sale, see my signature.
    I used mine inbounds at Alta a couple seasons, but since patrol uses them I got sick of tourists asking me when shit would open or where to go. It's in the truck if I decide to do sidecountry.

Dakine airbags and airbag vests use the Mammut 3.0 system. I've been thinking about getting the vest for sidecountry, but have heard carrying skis on your back, via the vest, tends to have the best shift and ride up, almost choking you. Has anyone had this happen or know of ways to keep it from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Dakine airbags and airbag vests use the Mammut 3.0 system. I've been thinking about getting the vest for sidecountry, but have heard carrying skis on your back, via the vest, tends to have the best shift and ride up, almost choking you. Has anyone had this happen or know of ways to keep it from happening?
    My North face doesn't ride up. It's surely no where near as good as a backpack carry, but works fine for bootpacking sidecountry.

No love for the Ogio flak jacket? Got mine from Whyturn, used it a bunch this season. Steezy as fuck. Janky shovel handle holder, lost my handle on an epic Tomahawk at the bird. Replace the holder with a voile strap and now I can yardsale all day and not lose my handle
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    No love for the Ogio flak jacket? Got mine from Whyturn, used it a bunch this season. Steezy as fuck. Janky shovel handle holder, lost my handle on an epic Tomahawk at the bird. Replace the holder with a voile strap and now I can yardsale all day and not lose my handle
    not made anymore far as I know. I had one for a short time and like the North Face one better. Personal preference really.

They've always looked too hot for me to try one. Can't imagine hiking even 15min in one. I like the idea of the BCA 8 better if you want an airbag, and I really really love my MHW Chuter 15 if you don't need an airbag.

what about the Arc’teryx
    Patrol Vest

no idea the price

here's an article with some info on it http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/a...afety-forward/

Been rocking the ogio flak for about 6 years now. Still going strong. I use it nearly every pow day inbounds. Its great for short day trips as mentioned. Never really noticed any additional heat from it. I can fit skins/poles/avi gear/1L of water, sandwich and few candy bars.

After seeing how practical Norseman's vest was at BBI, I was sold and the hunt was on. I hated skiing side country with my ABS pack. Found a TNF ABS Vest on closeout from snowinn and had it shipped from yurp. Fantastic for inbound laps and side country, still use my pack for touring.

Did that Arcteryx Vest ever make it to market? Clearly the manufactures are doing a shit job promoting the functionality as their sales numbers are so low that most have dropped the product from their lines. Dakine and Mammut are still left but I can't imagine their production volume is that significant.

Arc'teryx did discontinue the patrol vest.
    I emailed them to inquire.
    Sorry for posting that.

Here's where I got mine from. They seem to have a good spread on the current products:

http://www.snowbigdeal.com/avalanche...s.html?cat=128

Had Ogio then north face, then dakine, now settled on wary and dakine poacher ABS. Vest is the best. Weight distribution and access is great. Now add a removable airbag and still pretty light. It's the only way to go for me.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

So I have now been fucking with this TNF Powder Guide for 2+ hours, and I cannot for the life me figure out how to attach skis to it. Does someone have a video. Nothing I do with those two large straps seems even close to adequate for securing skis without folding the whole vest into an unwearable accordian

No personal experience, but this video shows skis attached. Looks like it is those two large straps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIjCdjPlKE. Hopefully someone has a better way because it seems extremely insecure.

Also: Looking hard at a airbag vest for slackcountry. The Dakine one with RAS seems smart because you just move the system between your airbag and your vest with the vest adding a small additional cost vs a second airbag.

I assume you have to take the vest off to attach skis with any of these vests, just like you would a pack? Or am I missing something? Seems like it's hard to get it back on with skis attached because there's not much internal structure to the vest (unlike with a pack).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yeah, I've seen that video, it doesn't really show much that's helpful. I feel like a moron (probably am one), but I seriously cannot figure out how on earth to attach skis to this thing in a way that they won't either fall out in 3 steps or make the vest unwearbly deformed.

At least with the way the long straps on mine are configured, it seems like it would be impossible to secure skis with the tips over your left shoulder, as the photo above shows. And I can't even begin to wrap my head around how vertical carry would work with two parallel, vertically mounted straps.
    Last edited by glademaster; 05-26-2017 at 08:44 AM.