TR: Last Call for Alpental: May 5 - 7, 2017

The TR you've been training for!

Friday May 5th: Cinqo de Alpental
    No season is complete without the annual Cinco de Mayo celebration atop the padded seats. This year we had new attendees: boys in blue from KCSO's Transit division, the Maple Valley Sherriff's department & WSP making the rounds in the parking lots, cracking down on consumption of adult beverages and party favors. I only saw one person in handcuffs all day and I'm pretty sure that's because they made a stink after being told to put their beverage in a more discrete vessel. Still...

Well, if we can't party in the parking lot, then we'll do it on the hill

What started as on/off showers with abundant mist became increasingly damp during the afternoon hours - to the point where many sought shelter beneath the plethora of pop-up canopies scattered about Lot 4. I hunkered-down during a particularly potent shower with several Summit crewmembers who'd come up for the day and enjoyed one of the finest tacos in recent memory - spicy pork slow-cooked overnight with a liberal amount of cannabutter.

El Sol peeked thru the clouds just in time for last chair and with the upper gate open (sans High T) since noon, it was clear where last chair was headed

Finishing this bottle was my main objective, and we achieved it, as I didn't want Johnny Law snagging me for an open container on my way out. Fortunately, the fuzz clocked-out at 5-0'clock and were never seen again. Fully saturated inside & out, Lot 4 collected its empties and emptied-out by 1800.

Saturday May 6th: Revenge of the 6th
    If Friday was warm & soggy, Saturday was the opposite. Temps dropped overnight, allowing the upper mountain to set-up and with just a skiff of new, the turns were difficult until the afternoon. Which is fortuitous, because after a late night of extended Cinqo celebrating in the city I was in no shape to arrive before 2nd shift. Visibility improved all day with only the occasional snow shower. Accordingly, apparel became increasingly festive

Photo: NW_SKIER

Photo: NW_SKIER

Another day, another gathering of folks after last chair at 5420'

Sunday May 7th: Closing Day
    Despite a layer of marine clouds & drizzle in the lowlands in the morning, the sun shone brightly upon the padded seats all day
    Lots of folks came out to make their goodbyes and pay their respects to our little ski hill and its bigly community. Lines were long, parking lots were full and good times were flowing! The maggot occupation of Lot 4 was a yuuuge success with plenty of libations, overly sufficient snacks and lots of good eats - from jtgoat's delicious breakfast burritos to abraham's incredible tacos and Dan's much-needed après sausages. The snow started out firm, which after one heinous top-to-bottom run necessitated a few chill Sessel laps, but became quickly playful in the warm, spring sun. The corn & crowd blossomed at the same time and it wasn't uncommon to wait upwards of 25 minutes in line for another ride up the padded seats (at one point it took us an hour to get from Lot 4 to the top of chair 2 ).

Lot 4 Royalty

Photo: Stradissimo

Alternative padded seating

Bigly lines!

These fine fellas kept the bumps well-timed in the rain, sun & snow all weekend

l'Internationale remained firm until the afternoon, making for exciting travel to the gate

Photo: californiagrown

Photo: Norseman, ⛷️: abraham

Proof that this is a family resort

Photo: LegoSkier

Annual throwing of the snowballs atop the padded seats while waiting for last chair to unload

Video: wooley12

The last chair party traveled all the way to Piss Pass, with folks electing to send the cornice into Stokes, others heading-up to 5456' to enjoy one last run around the back thru Pineapple Pass to Great Scott Bowl or straight down 261. Ukulele melodies were strummed, tears were shed, "supplemental oxygen" was consumed - all in the bigly spring sun. My last run took me thru Stokes proper - with excellent corn in the shade of the Cleaver followed by my stumbling across a purdy SLC BN last run with a spicy exit thru the Black Hole w/ off-duty Acres pro patrol. Safely back at the Source Lake Uphill Dog Park TH, extended apres went off without a hitch in the lingering remnants of the day's warmth before stumbling downhill to Lot 3 for final goodbyes and teary eyes as the moon rose above Guye Peak to replace the setting sun.

Until next time, keep your stick(s) base side down, carve from the heart and let's
    Last edited by pipedream; 05-08-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Nice. Thanks for consolidating the fun into one place. Already excited for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    the chick in the sombrero was obnoxious all day.
    Thanks Crystal
    If we're thinking of the same lady (somewhat older, hanging out in the row next over w/ all them cheddars), she's actually been a Snoqualmie local for decades. She's also not opposed to dumping 'em out, generally doesn't give a fuck and makes a wicked bloody mary\

EDIT: Oh, different chick. Yeah, somebody should've smashed her uke and pushed her off the cornice backwards into Stokes. Dunno what happened there at the end of the day - she was all happy go lucky earlier when we took a lap from Knoll 1. She had nice looking tits tho...

looked like a blast gang. I will say it again that I can't wait to ski there!!
    skid luxury

I enjoyed the partaking in the last three days of hedonism, fitting a whole season of weather into 70ish hours. And of course the company made the weekend, it was good to see so many of you and make turns to close out the lift serve season.

Buster, Dan and Donnelly coming across

Z-bo in the sun

Slackey noticed someone dropped a phone from the traverse....

Important business I'm sure

Adios for now

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

Slackey noticed someone dropped a phone from the traverse....
    That's what it was, mad detective skillz props to you n zbo for waiting.

Btw it was successfully reunited with its owner in lot 4. Owner didn't really seem to appreciate the absurdly slim odds and twist of chaos theory that enabled its return to him.

But I'll take the karma points just the same.

When we were talking in the lot at the end of the day he was pretty stoked you found it. Good karma for sure

sweet tr, pipedream!

Sure seemed like every person under 25 was given mushrooms and really bad mdma before embarking on the padded seats. A couple of those young females were prime candidates for the looney bin
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Sure seemed like every person under 25 was given mushrooms and really bad mdma before embarking on the padded seats. A couple of those young females were prime candidates for the looney bin
    Shit. Nick and I should have stuck around for last chair.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

This. Is. Win.
    Thanks for reporting amigos!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!