Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

This oscillating multi-tool might not be the best tool I own, but it’s my new favorite. It is fucking tits for putting holes and openings in sheetrock, plywood, OSB, etc. and some little sanding jobs. I got it to open some trim and put in a heat register, and now I’m running around looking for things that need holes in them. I got the Milwaukee because I’m already vested in the battery system.
    Fein tools used to be six bills and rare animals. Now it’s commonplace. Hell, the ryobi from homedopey ain’t half bad.

Great tool.

But not as awesome as the tool in my hand!
    Heyoooo! Zing!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Franklin 710 is the only way to go for a stud finder.
    Thanks, hadn’t heard of them so hadn’t looked.
    Azn had 710 for $70
    And 710+ for $50
    So I got the plus. Seemed it was only the addition of a level not sure why it’s cheaper. Unfortunately the level wasn’t attached on one side, sent an email to franklin support hopefully they’ll just send a new cover instead of making me return. *edit they emailed back within an hour, new cover on the way.

At first glance it’s not really digging my lathe and plaster walls, but I didn’t really buy it for here, going to do some random gigs putting shelves in peoples garages.

It is kind of a bummer it doesn’t spec metal vs wood or plastic, but the others that did had horrible reviews anyway so I went with KISS.
    Last edited by Rideski; 02-04-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Azn had 710 for $70
    And 710+ for $50
    So I got the plus. Seemed it was only the addition of a level not sure why it’s cheaper. Unfortunately the level wasn’t attached on one side, sent an email to franklin support hopefully they’ll just send a new cover instead of making me return. *edit they emailed back within an hour, new cover on the way.

At first glance it’s not really digging my lathe and plaster walls, but I didn’t really buy it for here, going to do some random gigs putting shelves in peoples garages.

It is kind of a bummer it doesn’t spec metal vs wood or plastic, but the others that did had horrible reviews anyway so I went with KISS.
    I got mine from Costco when they randomly carried it. It's nice.
    Harbor Freight actually sells a similar one made by franklin for only $35:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/prosen..._q=stud+finder
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Azn had 710 for $70
    And 710+ for $50

Never understood why people tape and texture garage drywall. No need for a stud finder if you can see the screws. (But then my garage doesn't have drywall, which is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Never understood why people tape and texture garage drywall. No need for a stud finder if you can see the screws. (But then my garage doesn't have drywall, which is even better.
    Garages are taped for fire protection.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Ding ding ding.

And when the texture guys are blowing and going, it's easier to tell them to hit everything than to try and explain they don't have to shoot a room, because they'll get it wrong and have to come back. It costs half a day worth of labor for the crew to come back vs. $50 in extra material. One fuckup is 10 garages worth of savings.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Only ceilings below living spaces is code around these parts. 5/8 sheetrock is required though. Tape and 1 coat of mud..

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

The Best Tool You Own

And it looks noice?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by jm2e; 02-05-2021 at 06:17 AM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

This Fien Tool drywall blade is fantastic. Push or pull the pointy blades for shallow cuts. US made

Name:  fein.png
Views: 1362
Size:  187.5 KB

https://imperialblades.com/product/i...drywall-blade/

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Only ceilings below living spaces is code around these parts. 5/8 sheetrock is required though. Tape and 1 coat of mud..

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    A wall adjacent to a living space needs to be rated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Well fuck I was all set to write a good review with pics and everything. Pretty neat how you can hold it with left hand or right, right side up/upside down, and make a mark or hold a screw with the other hand.

But one little 5 foot to flat and it doesn’t wanna play anymore.

Person I’m helping went and got a zircon, didn’t look which one yet. Lots harder to find the center, a few false readings. No drops yet.

Azn had 710 for $70
    And 710+ for $50

Choss jonger hit the nail on the head. Knipex german pliers. I love mine. By far the best pair of pliers I have ever had.

Seriously.

Name:  8701250.jpeg
Views: 1117
Size:  4.9 KB

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Choss jonger hit the nail on the head. Knipex german pliers. I love mine. By far the best pair of pliers I have ever had.

Seriously.

Name:  8701250.jpeg
Views: 1117
Size:  4.9 KB

sent from Utah.
    I bought a three size pack of those probably ten years ago. Awesome pliers. I have a similar pair coming on order. They have the same adjuster mechanism, but are parallel jawed, like an adjustable wrench. I have high expectations of it

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I bought a three size pack of those probably ten years ago. Awesome pliers. I have a similar pair coming on order. They have the same adjuster mechanism, but are parallel jawed, like an adjustable wrench. I have high expectations of it
    FYI for anyone else looking I had decent luck finding these on Amazon Warehouse for ~35% off. It takes a bit of patience and frequent checking but could pay off.

Fein tool crosspost to sex toy thread.

And yeah the smooth Knipex are my faves, work sheet metal, grab and twist rounded nuts all the way to round stock etc. say what you will about ((insert AleMaignaise trope/Godwin law antijoke punchline)) Merkel , the damn trains run on time.

I’ve used other people’s Fein tools, but not recently. I have two corded Rockwell sonic crafters. They are loud as hell but cut well. I also have two Makita 18v cordless tools. They work fine. A co-worker has a new Dewalt 20v cordless tool. It’s awesome! Great blade changing. LED lighting. Variable speed. I’m hoping Makita steps up their game since I’m so heavily invested in their tools/batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

This oscillating multi-tool might not be the best tool I own, but it’s my new favorite. It is fucking tits for putting holes and openings in sheetrock, plywood, OSB, etc. and some little sanding jobs. I got it to open some trim and put in a heat register, and now I’m running around looking for things that need holes in them. I got the Milwaukee because I’m already vested in the battery system.
    I burned out the motor in my fein last year, so I bought the Milwaukee cordless in a pinch (because I have the batteries). The cordless thing is nice for some things, but I found that it just chews through batteries too fast... I ended up buying another fein corded. I will just use the Milwaukee for the occasional thing where a cord is a pita.

What's the point of tamper proof torx screws if you can go out and buy tamper-proof screwdrivers at the hardware store? Am I missing something, other than that the average person doesn't have tamper-proof torx screwdrivers and doesn't know what to ask for? Shouldn't you have to have a license or pass a test, or have a background check to buy them? Like buying a gun?

i think i have loosened those^^ with a hammer & chisel, gently tap the edge and they undo

worse comes to worse you can just take the head off using the chisel

as I explained to a client that I could reach by taking a locked gate apart ... that stuff only stops honest people
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What's the point of tamper proof torx screws if you can go out and buy tamper-proof screwdrivers at the hardware store? Am I missing something, other than that the average person doesn't have tamper-proof torx screwdrivers and doesn't know what to ask for? Shouldn't you have to have a license or pass a test, or have a background check to buy them? Like buying a gun?
    We sell hardened steel receptacle plates that the device mounts inside. We sell them to prisons, psychiatric wards, and schools. They use the tamper proof torx at all 4 corners. I think it just slows them down.

Quote Originally Posted by savemeasammy View Post
    I burned out the motor in my fein last year, so I bought the Milwaukee cordless in a pinch (because I have the batteries). The cordless thing is nice for some things, but I found that it just chews through batteries too fast... I ended up buying another fein corded. I will just use the Milwaukee for the occasional thing where a cord is a pita.

What kind of work are you doing that eats the batteries/FT motors so fast? My Milwaukee 18v w/5 or 6aH batteries will cut DW for a long time, I don't have to cut much ply/osb/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    We sell hardened steel receptacle plates that the device mounts inside. We sell them to prisons, psychiatric wards, and schools. They use the tamper proof torx at all 4 corners. I think it just slows them down.
    Yup. Most security products only buy additional seconds to minutes, which may be enough to stop a crime of opportunity. If someone really wants it and has destructive means, they're gonna get it. No hardware or lock is going to stop thieves from getting into a container when the show up with cat keys, anchor chains and gas axes.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    No hardware or lock is going to stop thieves from dismantling a bathroom divider if they show up with cat keys, anchor chains and gas axes.
    FIFY

had made plans in a text to PU rafters at the same place as last year but there was a locked farm gate where none had existed on FN lands and these guys expect me in 10 minutes at the river

look in theback of buddy's truck that I am shuttling & find one of them cheapish socket sets in a plastic casebut it will do, take that gate apart at the hinge side and was only a few minutes late,

got loaded out quick, put the gate back together, didnt see no cousins but we cant use that takeout anymore
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The tamper proof screws are on the catch that keeps the outer door locked when the elevator is on a different floor. The are the kind with a pin in the center of the Torx slot that requires a screwdriver with a hole for the pin. Not the screws that only screw in one directions. I think the idea is to keep the homeowner from removing the catch. I needed to shim it out a 1/16 in to that the door would open when the elevator was on the same floor. Now the elevator door opens when it should and I am the proud owner of a set of 12 tamper proof torx drivers that I will never use again.