Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Attachment 286793

I know it’s just a hammer, but from demo to finish the smooth face 14oz Stiletto does it all.
    Our contractor has one of those and loves it. I don't know why though--the guy will drag a compressor and an extension cord off his truck to air nail four nails.

An old Serbian plumber I've used is very proud of his $100 German channel locks.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Oh, I was paying attention to you and your corded electric chainsaw. Trying to show you how to avoid another needless cord death.
    Now you take a lap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Right. So you missed Bruce Springskiin's adventures with My First Saw on the Christmas tree lot then?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think cordless chainsaws are awesome mainly because I only have about a half-hour of hard at a time in me at most.
    Try some Vitamin V
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

An old Serbian plumber I've used is very proud of his $100 German channel locks.
    Knipex pliers are already on the best tool list(page 1)-Channel locks are garbage in comparison
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Try some Vitamin V
    Well played.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

dagnabbit, I just fixed that!

suggestions of soldier iron? need one, want it to last more than a few usages, do not want to spend a lot of $$. have growing backlog of several projects and a teen looking for new fumes to inhale.

cheers

Holy shit I've gone down a rathole of Boltr videos on youtube the last few days, I'd say whatever he uses is the one you should get.

He says this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D2...05384695&psc=1

edit: actually he says the Hakko 888D, but when I plug that in, Amazon brings up this one. Not sure if it's just a difference in nomenclature or what.

editedit: further research reveals it is the updated version of the 888D. You'd think they would just make it the 889D or the 888E, but they felt required to add a bunch more numbers and letters for some reason.

Well it's for framing. Don't use it for shit you care about how it looks. I've had a 28-oz estwing for like 30 years, I used to love that thing but all the old guys hated on it for the steel construction and shock going through it because of it, beating you up, so I put it aside. Fucking thing looks like new still.
    Eastswing I had one also. I probably still have it somewhere, but my three others get preference.

My favorite tool right now is the Milwaukee battery chainsaw. Its definitely all my friends favorite to borrow also.

I'm thinking about taking a deep dive on Stihl cordless shit for yard maintenance, changing everything over to that. Right now I have a combination of effective but fairly shitty stuff that seemed good when I bought it, with multiple chargers and battery packs, and also gas. It's been bugging me far a while. Thoughts, anyone?

It's low-duty for sure. Maybe 20 hours a month max, and half the year at that. There are some big days though.

Thanks for the soldier iron rec. digital, wow. Makes sense, of course. I used to use a soldier iron a lot for work, but that was 20 yrs ago.

Replacing a whole yard maintenance kit sounds expensive.

I'm thinking about taking a deep dive on Stihl cordless shit for yard maintenance, changing everything over to that. Right now I have a combination of effective but fairly shitty stuff that seemed good when I bought it, with multiple chargers and battery packs, and also gas. It's been bugging me far a while. Thoughts, anyone?

It's low-duty for sure. Maybe 20 hours a month max, and half the year at that. There are some big days though.
    Can you run a Stihl backpack blower on it?

Yeah but most of the shit is old and kinda shitty, I'm okay with replacing it once, I just don't want to have to replace it again after that.

Quote Originally Posted by meeb69 View Post
    Can you run a Stihl backpack blower on it?
    Well I don't know it for a fact but the idea is the batteries are usable in all their shit so I would say probably yes.

I got a Ryobi electric trimmer with a battery pack that works for most of their other tools like lawnmower and blower.
    I got the bladed attachments to use on the Himalayan blackberries, but mostly run the string attachment to do a thousand feet or so of driveway edge and road frontage. I'm not super tidy about those parts of the property, probably about 6 hours a month.

Works well so far, get about 30 minutes of work for a 2.5 hour charge which gets about half of the area, so yeah, it requires a recharge for our place.

I'm still running the corded lawnmower though to do the tennis court and the yard, though. One of the best things you can do for air pollution, seeing as how all those gas powered 2 stroke tools blow about 20-50 times the amount of co2 that a modern car does.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

oh I hate gas for my uses. And just would like to simplify shit

Milwaukee is committed to the M18 and M12 platform. That is the one thing I like about them right now. They're not using some other companies battery pack. The 12.0 amp hour battery is the bomb. They run a lot of promos like the other guys, but often it is specific to a wholesale distributor...which is an outdated term because wholesalers sell to everyone.

Not my best, but a certain favorite in it's proper place and time:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190702_191126.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	287550

Yeah, huh...

Name:  IMG_20190702_192058.jpeg
Views: 561
Size:  39.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I got a Ryobi electric trimmer with a battery pack that works for most of their other tools like lawnmower and blower.
    I got the bladed attachments to use on the Himalayan blackberries, but mostly run the string attachment to do a thousand feet or so of driveway edge and road frontage. I'm not super tidy about those parts of the property, probably about 6 hours a month.

Works well so far, get about 30 minutes of work for a 2.5 hour charge which gets about half of the area, so yeah, it requires a recharge for our place.

I'm still running the corded lawnmower though to do the tennis court and the yard, though. One of the best things you can do for air pollution, seeing as how all those gas powered 2 stroke tools blow about 20-50 times the amount of co2 that a modern car does.
    Are you running the 24v stuff? Or the 18v stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

oh I hate gas for my uses. And just would like to simplify shit
    Doesn’t Stihl have the battery pack you wear that connects to any of their stuff and will run a small chainsaw for like 4 hrs?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Are you running the 24v stuff? Or the 18v stuff?
    40v
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.e6a5b839fe05

Not the CO2 but lots of other pollutants. Thing about co2 is that it is mostly dependent on fuel type and consumption. Ie a gallon of gas creates roughly 20 lbs of co2 whether you burn it in a lawnmower or car.

How can 6 pounds of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide?
    It seems impossible that a gallon of gasoline, which weighs about 6.3 pounds, could produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. However, most of the weight of the CO2 doesn't come from the gasoline itself, but the oxygen in the air.

When gasoline burns, the carbon and hydrogen separate. The hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water (H2O), and carbon combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2).

CO2 molecule with one carbon atom (atomic weight 12) and two oxygen atoms (atomic weight of 16 each)A carbon atom has a weight of 12, and each oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of CO2 an atomic weight of 44 (12 from carbon and 32 from oxygen).

Therefore, to calculate the amount of CO2 produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the carbon in the gasoline is multiplied by 44/12 or 3.7.

Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the carbon in a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.5 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .87).

We can then multiply the weight of the carbon (5.5 pounds) by 3.7, which equals 20 pounds of CO2!

Thanks for sharing that ^^^

I've said it before, I'll say it again:. Magnetic sweeper. The garage often hosts projects that invariably result in small metal pokey bits all over the place. Flat tires suck. The sweeper is cheap insurance.