Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STIcrdjGjOI
    I bought one of these a few years ago. It’s incredibly strong, but the 100’ roll of 5/8” steel rope is a bitch to work with. I use it maybe twice a year at most, for some pretty random stuff. It pulls scrub oak stumps out so easily! My 25 year old Husqvarna 55 has probably been my best tool purchase though
    Like my dad told me once...”give me two Okies and a come-along, and we can move anything.”
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Like my dad told me once...”give me two Okies and a come-along, and we can move anything.”
    ^ Gold.

I don’t miss often. But in case someone asks me to help them past 5pm, I threw a piece of pvc on this since it was my dad’s. Like to keep it around. I’ll be getting a quiver for stupid gigs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A931AA0D-AF86-4E16-8AB7-9B6F735322F7.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	328851

This is giving me PTSD. When I was a kid my parent bought a house on an acre or 2. The yard was magnificent - in like 1920. it was totally overgrown - tons of trees that my parents wanted out. We got good at dropping them, and then the teenage kids had the job of taking out the roots. Which meant me cause by brother was 4 years younger. Big trees. Two large cedars I vividly remember. Axe, maul, shovel, sweat.

I'll change it - give me a motivated teenager and a summer and I can move anything. Man I took out a lot of stumps.

Back on topic. I recently changed over to Klein screwdrivers and I'm a total convert. Best in the world. Nothing else close. Recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Your name's Jethro and you don't have Warn winches on your trucks and ATVs? Seems shady.
    I’ve got a PTO driven Braden winch on my 1952 Dodge M37. I added the winch recently and haven’t installed the PTO unit yet, so the winch is window dressing.

The Tirfor griphoist is awesome. It crawls along the cable and doesn’t need to be reset like a come along. I pulled eight service berry tree root clusters yesterday with it.

It’s not fancy or pretty, but I’ve got a gigantic forged steel crescent wrench that I use on basically every project. It’s huge-opens to over 1” and has a tight enough mechanism that it won’t round off bolts like many loose crescents will.

Plus it weighs a ton so I can use it for beating on shit, aka Percussive Maintenance.

New toy- Battery operated Shop Vac from Rigid. Not going to vacuum the house with it, but if you sweep a pile, it will suck it all up. Batteries seem to last about 30 minutes. 15 on just one, but no sacrifice in power. Very sweet not having to deal with the cord. I have 5 of the 18 v batteries, so easy enough to keep a rotation going for the big jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    It’s not fancy or pretty, but I’ve got a gigantic forged steel crescent wrench that I use on basically every project. It’s huge-opens to over 1” and has a tight enough mechanism that it won’t round off bolts like many loose crescents will.

Plus it weighs a ton so I can use it for beating on shit, aka Percussive Maintenance.
    I've got one of those too. Very cool. It's fun to pull it out for bike work. Freaks people out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I don’t miss often. But in case someone asks me to help them past 5pm, I threw a piece of pvc on this since it was my dad’s. Like to keep it around. I’ll be getting a quiver for stupid gigs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A931AA0D-AF86-4E16-8AB7-9B6F735322F7.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	328851
    I like the old Kelly axe. I’ve got a couple of old double bit axes around here.

Thanks man. Any idea the year? I don’t know if my dad bought it or if it got handed to him. Bare minimum is 1975. Probably quite a lot older, haven’t researched.

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=87Name:  smooth plane.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  14.1 KB
    So easy to adjust, so well made

The Best Tool You Own

Quite amateurish by this place standards, but I picked up a Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw. It’s been awesome for trail work. Blade comes off super easy and it all fits in my pack. Gonna get a 1.5 Ah battery to save some weight, because I’m getting a shit ton of cuts with my 3 Ah and barely using much charge.
    I’m doing the majority of local trail work since the chainsaw guys don’t want to haul their big shit out (understandably).

Edit: I can pretty much bury this fucker in the dirt to cut roots/stumps, with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Quite amateurish by this place standards, but I picked up a Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw. It’s been awesome for trail work. Blade comes off super easy and it all fits in my pack. Gonna get a 1.5 Ah battery to save some weight, because I’m getting a shit ton of cuts with my 3 Ah and barely using much charge.
    I’m doing the majority of local trail work since the chainsaw guys don’t want to haul their big shit out (understandably).

Edit: I can pretty much bury this fucker in the dirt to cut roots/stumps, with no problem.

Just did a bunch of trailwork at my property with a recip battery powered. Slower than a chainsaw, but much lighter. Worked great. I got about a 1/4 mile Mtn bike track around the property and already looking at a few options for additional trails. Getting some signs working this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

What blades are you guys running?
    I got a couple diablos one for metal one for dried lumber that work well.

But my pruning blade was from harbor freight and cuts as well as a butter knife. So bad I was hesitant to try any other pruning blades. You use the same blade for green and dead wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    What blades are you guys running?
    I got a couple diablos one for metal one for dried lumber.
    But my pruning blade was from harbor freight and cues as well as a butter knife. So bad I was hesitant to try any other pruning blades. You use the same blade for green and dead wood?
    I use whatever the fuck is around. I think I have a demo blade on it now. Rigid. Seems to work..gets tricky when the branches pinch though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I bought a Diablo for my table saw. Cuts like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

They make longer blades specifically for this. I use a Rigid one, and have trimmed entire trees on one battery. Makes root work a breeze for sure.

I have a Ryobi 18V recip saw. Works well but Ryobi batteries seem to fail a lot. Wish I hadn't gotten sucked into the Ryobi black hole. Shame on me for trying to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have a Ryobi 18V recip saw. Works well but Ryobi batteries seem to fail a lot. Wish I hadn't gotten sucked into the Ryobi black hole. Shame on me for trying to save money.
    I’ve owned several multi-tool Setups from Dewalt, Milwaukee and now Makita thru the years. All their batteries suck after a while. I’ve always been pleased with the tools when they were new, but then five years go by and you try your co-workers brand new tools, and find out yours are lacking in comparison.

been using the same extension cord for 30 yars
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    been using the same extension cord for 30 yars
    Really? I guess I need to stop pulling as hard as I can when I'm coiling the cord up and it gets caught on something. Then maybe my cords will last 30 years, although I won't be around to find out.

that and don't let yer wife run over it with the lawnmower

but thats the other thread
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

1. Blade: Diablo Carbide Pruning Blade. This thing tears through limbs and stays sharp. Worth the $10 several times over.
    2. I’ve had DeWalt & Makita where the tool became obsolete because new battery systems weren’t backward compatible. I went with Ryobi this time because they’re so invested in this battery platform I think they’re the most likely to keep supporting my tools in a decade.

However many are in a shit ton.

Debating mechanical pole saw (battery or gas) or some sort of one manual with a silky saw blade. Generally, we need something. Including climbing up into our big madrone to thin it out. Are the silky saws blades THAT much better that say fiskar? One advantage of the high end blade is that I’m pretty sure the teen will do a lot of the work. Damn kids.