Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
Results 676 to 686 of 686
  1. #676
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,898
    there's some cool old shit on this page!

    question that is probably already answered here (sorry): i have a few older ryobi nicad battery tools. batteries are toast. they're 1.5A. i need a few new cordless tools. first purchase will be an impact wrench. i want/need to upgrade to lithium.

    how do i figure out what size Li batteries i can use on my older tools? Am I limited to 1.5A? my tools list compatible battery model numbers on a sticker on them, but they're the older NiCad batteries.

    i'm a 45 minute drive from HD and the local hardware shops are red and yellow dealers. now could be a chance to transition to another brand, but i'm not sure i want to.

  2. #677
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    there's some cool old shit on this page!

    question that is probably already answered here (sorry): i have a few older ryobi nicad battery tools. batteries are toast. they're 1.5A. i need a few new cordless tools. first purchase will be an impact wrench. i want/need to upgrade to lithium.

    how do i figure out what size Li batteries i can use on my older tools? Am I limited to 1.5A? my tools list compatible battery model numbers on a sticker on them, but they're the older NiCad batteries.

    i'm a 45 minute drive from HD and the local hardware shops are red and yellow dealers. now could be a chance to transition to another brand, but i'm not sure i want to.
    If you want lithium ion, you will need new tools. I havenít bothered replacing old nicads in all of my old tools. The batteries are too expensive, and too wimpy compared to Li Ion.

    For new tools I can recommend the Milwaukee M12 tools especially if only for home use. The Ryobi line seems to have lots of home owner fans.

  3. #678
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    3,568

    The Best Tool You Own

    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    there's some cool old shit on this page!

    question that is probably already answered here (sorry): i have a few older ryobi nicad battery tools. batteries are toast. they're 1.5A. i need a few new cordless tools. first purchase will be an impact wrench. i want/need to upgrade to lithium.

    how do i figure out what size Li batteries i can use on my older tools? Am I limited to 1.5A? my tools list compatible battery model numbers on a sticker on them, but they're the older NiCad batteries.

    i'm a 45 minute drive from HD and the local hardware shops are red and yellow dealers. now could be a chance to transition to another brand, but i'm not sure i want to.
    There are nicad to Li adapters you can buy/use. Outside of infrequent use with a tool otherwise not worth replacing, not something I recommend. Theyíre janky and clunky and not super efficient. I use it for a little handheld circular saw. The occasional job where that saw is useful itís the best thing, but those are few and far between. If I needed it more frequently Iíd just buy a new tool in a heartbeat.

    New tools are better than the old ones, and it isnít just the batteries.
    focus.

  4. #679
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    in a frozen jungle
    Posts
    2,271
    In a perfect world, more consumers/tradesman/tool manufacturers would understand the logic of this: https://www.cordless-alliance-system.com
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

  5. #680
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    there's some cool old shit on this page!

    question that is probably already answered here (sorry): i have a few older ryobi nicad battery tools. batteries are toast. they're 1.5A. i need a few new cordless tools. first purchase will be an impact wrench. i want/need to upgrade to lithium.

    how do i figure out what size Li batteries i can use on my older tools? Am I limited to 1.5A? my tools list compatible battery model numbers on a sticker on them, but they're the older NiCad batteries.

    i'm a 45 minute drive from HD and the local hardware shops are red and yellow dealers. now could be a chance to transition to another brand, but i'm not sure i want to.
    You can use the newer Li batteries with the old NiCad tools. Ryobi hasn't changed shit in their battery connections since the beginning of time. I use a 4Ah Li battery in a old Craftsman drill, (made by Ryobi) that was originally powered by a NiCad and it works just fine. You will need a new battery charger though.

    https://www.jlconline.com/tools/fast...ad-batteries_o

  6. #681
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    16,216
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Just salvaged this from a 1922 school building Iím remodeling. It shall live on my garage wall for years to come.

    Attachment 389460


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    FTW!

  7. #682
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,898

    The Best Tool You Own

    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    You can use the newer Li batteries with the old NiCad tools. Ryobi hasn't changed shit in their battery connections since the beginning of time. I use a 4Ah Li battery in a old Craftsman drill, (made by Ryobi) that was originally powered by a NiCad and it works just fine. You will need a new battery charger though.

    https://www.jlconline.com/tools/fast...ad-batteries_o
    Thank you! Got me the newer mid-torque model, some new batteries, and a new charger. The auto mode on the impact wrench seems pretty cool. I havenít tried on a lug yet, but thatíll be the first real use in the next week or so. Will save me hours changing over to winters for all 3 cars.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6912.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	390837

  8. #683
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,791
    Not my best tool anymore--my 40 year old Rockwell contactor saw died today. The pulley on the arbor slipped off and chewed up the arbor in the process. I fixed it but the saw vibrates badly, a friend I let use the saw replaced the pulley with one that didn't have a keyway because the original wouldn't fit any more, the set screw tore up the arbor some more. Pulley came off today and tore up the belt. I think the saw is telling me it's had enough. I built a lot of furniture, shelving, and cabinets with that saw. RIP buddy.

    Got my eye on a Powermatic 1 3/4 horse like the Rockwell, can be wired 220 like the Rockwell, but it's set up like a bigger table saw with closed cabinet, dust port, better fence. Maybe in the spring.

  9. #684
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,289
    Used my planer today to trim down a heavy ass door that was sticking. I love that thing. Next week I start on a project I can use the table saw on. I love that one too. Having tools is a hallmark of being a dad that fixes shit for the family.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  10. #685
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not my best tool anymore--my 40 year old Rockwell contactor saw died today. The pulley on the arbor slipped off and chewed up the arbor in the process. I fixed it but the saw vibrates badly, a friend I let use the saw replaced the pulley with one that didn't have a keyway because the original wouldn't fit any more, the set screw tore up the arbor some more. Pulley came off today and tore up the belt. I think the saw is telling me it's had enough. I built a lot of furniture, shelving, and cabinets with that saw. RIP buddy.

    Got my eye on a Powermatic 1 3/4 horse like the Rockwell, can be wired 220 like the Rockwell, but it's set up like a bigger table saw with closed cabinet, dust port, better fence. Maybe in the spring.
    Powermatic is shit. You want an old school walker Turner cabinet saw with a biesemeyer fence

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  11. #686
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    2 hours to Whiteface
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Used my planer today to trim down a heavy ass door that was sticking. I love that thing. Next week I start on a project I can use the table saw on. I love that one too. Having tools is a hallmark of being a dad that fixes shit for the family.
    We painted and changed the hinges on 8 doors last week. I had to plane several doors reached for my planer when i remembered a yet unused X mass gift, and pulled out my Ryobi Cordless Planer.. Holy shit. I was at stunned at how quickly and easily it planed the doors. However, I learned you have to be careful not to round over the corners when finishing each side.

    It's always fun to work on something where you pull out all the tools!

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •