Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
Results 626 to 650 of 681
  1. #626
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    173
    You have reached that point in life, OG, where doing for yourself as an excuse to buy more tools has become an opportunity for more tools to own you. God help you and thank goodness you have the right philosophy with respect to logical wifely ramifications thereof.

  2. #627
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,545
    You have an elevator? Thatís pretty dope.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  3. #628
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You have an elevator? That’s pretty dope.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We'd gladly trade it for new bodies but I don't see that happening. Given the layout of our house we figured the elevator was a necessity if we were going to try to live here into our 80's. It's mainly used as a freight elevator for now. Riding in it makes me nervous.

  4. #629
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Choss Jonger, Sr. View Post
    You have reached that point in life, OG, where doing for yourself as an excuse to buy more tools has become an opportunity for more tools to own you. God help you and thank goodness you have the right philosophy with respect to logical wifely ramifications thereof.
    I'm pretty much done buying tools I think. I could see replacing my old table saw but that's about it. I'd like a lathe but it's easy enough to use the one at the Truckee Roundhouse. I'm on to kitchen utensils. Those are tools too I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You have an elevator? That’s pretty dope.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We'd gladly trade the elevator for new bodies. 40 steps from the street to the main floor--we figure if we want to stay here until we die we're going to need it. We use it mainly as a freight elevator. I'm afraid to ride in it. When my wife slipped on ice outside the back door and broke her ankle the EMT's eyes lit up when I told them we have an elevator.

  5. #630
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    3,485
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I am the proud owner of a set of 12 tamper proof torx drivers that I will never use again.
    I bought a set of tamper proof torx bits so that I could add/remove bike trays with my driver instead of by hand on my Yakima hitch mount bike rack. Takes a fraction of the time. Weird/obscure tools sometimes get surprising traction....

    My dad is building (maybe) his last house with a big circular staircase top to bottom, partially because ripping it out and replacing it with an elevator is fairly straightforward if/when he needs it in a few years. They arenít cheap, but in the grand scheme of things not all that expensive either. My only frame of reference was commercial installations, and I was pretty surprised at the price difference.

    Speaking of, that guy has just about any tool youíd care to name for home construction, from plumbing and electrical to scaffolding and a cherry picker. Which, if it hasnít been said, the best tool is somebody elseís tool that you can borrow.
    focus.

  6. #631
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    9,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

    Which, if it hasnít been said, the best tool is somebody elseís tool that you can borrow.
    So true...except when that tool shits the bed while youíre using it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  7. #632
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    584
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elevator door key collection.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	363408

    My commercial elevator door key collection. I used them all the time from 2004-2010 for work.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my everything key collection.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	563.5 KB 
ID:	363409

    My everything else key collection #1 of 7. Its not as bad when the tool shits the bed if they don't know you borrowed it.
    I'd give people beer when I used their stuff, unless they were dicks.


    I also have a screw driver that's 36" long that opens stuff too.

  8. #633
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,071
    A friend of mine had a bunch of really good building tools collected by her dear departed husband so i suggested she try selling them to those carpenters working down the street but she felt they must have all the tools they need already so wasn't going to bother, she later texts me that they followed her home and bought everything

    tools to a builder are like crack to a junkie
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #634
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,622
    Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elevator door key collection.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	363408

    My commercial elevator door key collection. I used them all the time from 2004-2010 for work.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my everything key collection.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	563.5 KB 
ID:	363409

    My everything else key collection #1 of 7. Its not as bad when the tool shits the bed if they don't know you borrowed it.
    I'd give people beer when I used their stuff, unless they were dicks.


    I also have a screw driver that's 36" long that opens stuff too.
    I rarely see those actual elevator keys. All the elevator mechanics Iíve worked with have a pencil rod bent to that perfect shape to release the door.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  10. #635
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I rarely see those actual elevator keys. All the elevator mechanics I’ve worked with have a pencil rod bent to that perfect shape to release the door.
    TGR Forums
    I worked with the big 4 and some little guys. I started taking a huge piece of the market with Kone and my hookups moved out of state and the new Kone guy was a retard. I told his boss, who turned out to be his uncle. That was the end of it.

    I think I paid $45 for the set. Everybody's doors are different it seemed. The lunar keys always suck though.

    If you want to hide something (that doesn't smell) an elevator pit can b e a good place.

    I saw half a cart full of nickels at the Denver mint go in the elevator door floor crack. That one took some time.

  11. #636
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    2 hours to Whiteface
    Posts
    453
    I bought this on a whim and it is the most useful sander I own. I grab it for all different tasks.

    It makes short work of minor sanding where a flat sander wont work and has many other unprescribed uses.

    In the past week I've used it to:

    - deepen a door hinge cutout in lieu of the chisel set. Took less than 20 seconds and worked great.

    - sand the molding around the outside of our second story semi circular bedroom window. It cut my sanding time by 90% over hand sanding the different reliefs of the molding. You can use the flat sides like a belt sander and the tip to access tight spots or curved molding reliefs and indentations.

    I may have posted Bout this tool before, but it just makes me smile. It still looks and kind of feels like a toy, but damn is it versatile and useful.


    RYOBI

    ONE+ 18V Cordless 1/2 in. x 18 in. Belt Sander (Tool Only) with 1/2 in x 18 in. Sanding Belts (3-Pack)



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  12. #637
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,715
    I like the Sten Gun battery mount.

  13. #638
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,393
    Are tickler belts an option?

  14. #639
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,952
    Someone brought drugs to that Ryobi brainstorming session.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  15. #640
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    2 hours to Whiteface
    Posts
    453
    I agree with all above comments. I was curious, but had low expectations as it looks like a toy. The damned thing is handy as can be.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  16. #641
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Someone brought drugs to that Ryobi brainstorming session.
    Man Stoner: Hey, hey, don't take those, man.
    Pedro: Wha...?
    Man Stoner: I almost gave you the wrong shit, man.
    Pedro: Hey, man, I already took 'em, man.
    Man Stoner: [laughing in astonishment] Hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo...
    Pedro: Hey, whaddaya mean "ho ho ho ho ho"?
    Man Stoner: Oh... HU-WOW, MAN!
    Pedro: Hey, what was that shit, man?
    Man Stoner: You just take the most acid I've ever seen anybody eat in my life!
    Pedro: Hey, man, I never had no acid before, man.
    Man Stoner: Jeez, I hope you're not busy for about a month...

  17. #642
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Someone brought drugs to that Ryobi brainstorming session.
    If they keep making crazy shit, I'll keep buying it. It's cheap, and quite handy.

    The kids love getting the leave and other flotsam out of the garage with this little gem.



    This thing is perfect to take the edge off when I'm wrenching in the garage in the winter.



    I probably use these guys weekly.





    Perfect for picking up the few straggler leaves in the fall without having to break out the big guns.



    This is great on the deck in the heat of the summer.


  18. #643
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    I agree with all above comments. I was curious, but had low expectations as it looks like a toy. The damned thing is handy as can be.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Those skinny belt sanders have been around forever, just not cordless, and they are perfect for certain applications.

    Ryobi is owned by TTI who also owns Milwaukee. They'll both come out with essentially the same shit, just an A grade, and a B grade.

  19. #644
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Those skinny belt sanders have been around forever, just not cordless, and they are perfect for certain applications.

    Ryobi is owned by TTI who also owns Milwaukee. They'll both come out with essentially the same shit, just an A grade, and a B grade.
    Good to know, I'd always assumed that Ryobi and Ridgid were the same company because Home Depot, but I looked it up and Ridgid isn't TTI. I've never had any trouble with Ryobi tools except the batteries don't seem to last.

  20. #645
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aspen, Colorado
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post


    This is great on the deck in the heat of the summer.

    Does water go in the bucket making it a mister fan?

  21. #646
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Does water go in the bucket making it a mister fan?
    Yeah, it has a pump to pull from the bucket or you can hook it up to a garden hose.

  22. #647
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    971
    Somebody rec me a pocket jig. I donít need pro level Iím just building a basic bed frame and some van cabinets.

  23. #648
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Somebody rec me a pocket jig. I donít need pro level Iím just building a basic bed frame and some van cabinets.
    Iíve had success with anything from Kreg and while a bit spendy, I end up using them way more often than I would have ever thought.

    https://www.kregtool.com/shop/pocket...0/KPHJ720.html


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #649
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Somebody rec me a pocket jig. I donít need pro level Iím just building a basic bed frame and some van cabinets.
    I picked up this guy about a year ago. Was great for the purpose, and was cheaper than buying a grip of simpson corner plates for building out a pair of workbenches.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    And don't skimp out on buying the actual pocket hole screws. They're shaped for the purpose. Narrower than usual, big shoulder on the head for bearing, and not threaded all the way up so it draws the two pieces together. Normal wood screws won't close up the joint like a pocket hole screw will.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

  25. #650
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    I picked up this guy about a year ago. Was great for the purpose, and was cheaper than buying a grip of simpson corner plates for building out a pair of workbenches.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    And don't skimp out on buying the actual pocket hole screws. They're shaped for the purpose. Narrower than usual, big shoulder on the head for bearing, and not threaded all the way up so it draws the two pieces together. Normal wood screws won't close up the joint like a pocket hole screw will.
    They are handy. I bought some XOOL pocket jigs on sale.
    Don't forget you can modify them. Clamps, band saws and creativity up the utility a bunch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •