Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That pic remin ds me that the lowly shop vacuum is a pretty awesume tool & it saved me from the water damage a lot of people had last october

It started raining/snowing HARD which brought the water table way up, water starts coming in the basement suite and the tenant gives me the headsup at 10pm, I pulled an all nighter to vacuum up the water every 15 min or so until 7am, I must have emptied that tub 50 times.

Since I am already up i am first to the pump rental place and first to the the building supply to buy the last sump pump ... the early worm gets the bird
    That is no mere shop vac, that is a highly portable HEPA dust extractor with wet capabilities, adjustable suction, but your right it’s indispensable from clean up to sawdust management
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I'm talking about a cheap motomaster Canadian tire shop vac that saved the day ... or maybe the night
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm talking about a cheap motomaster Canadian tire shop vac that saved the day ... or maybe the night
    Wouldn’t a tourniquet sufficed?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

After having my house nearly flood in a flash flood (the same one that destroyed the island of kauai last year) I learned the lesson of keeping sump pumps and sand bags handy.

Nothing will ruin your day more than having your house flood. Luckily only my garage flooded before I was able to stop it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

There was actualy was a hole in the floor for a sump pump with wiring & outflow pipe in my house but the pump was missing when i bought the place, probably the original pedastal pump never ran so when the impeller rusted off (they are plastic now) it got turfed.

IME it was amazing how fast a 1/4hp pump can lower the water table around a flooded basement, it went from flood to shut off in like 10min, not really a tool but a sump pump is a good investment if you live in a place that floods ( my town is built on a swamp) they are only 100$
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not sure if this has had a mention or not, but it makes hanging sheetrock solo so much easier. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4401.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	246475

multitool

I dig my multi tool. It’s a Leathernan. I don’t recall the model but suspect I bought it at Costco. I probably only use the knives and pliers 90% of the time.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a stud finder / multi sensor? I just moved into a 70’s home with a lot of Romex. Last home was 50’s era with plaster and shielded wiring. I’m customizing a lot of closets and don’t wish to drill into the Romex. I’m assuming if I use 2” coarse drywall screws and mark my bit with some tape at 2” I can greatly reduce the risk and still get enough purchase for shelves but I’d love to also have the electrical field sensor in a stud finder as well. I have a cheap magnetic one now. I’m ok with paying a bit more and buying once.

Human brain is the best tool you can own.

I am also pretty fond of my arms and fingers since the brainster can tell them to do and make things that I like.

Sadly most folks appear to not own a brain.

That pic remin ds me that the lowly shop vacuum is a pretty awesume tool & it saved me from the water damage a lot of people had last october

It started raining/snowing HARD which brought the water table way up, water starts coming in the basement suite and the tenant gives me the headsup at 10pm, I pulled an all nighter to vacuum up the water every 15 min or so until 7am, I must have emptied that tub 50 times.
    Ditto this, our basement flooded a few times recently ( 2 times torrential rains CT had this summer, one time stupidity with washer install) and the Rigid Shop vac is sensational for sucking up water, in addition to everything else it does.

I dont do a lot of the cool shit with tools y'all do, but my favourite tool is a 28" Fiskars Splitting axe. When we first moved here we took down a tree in the yard and kept the wood. I blew through a cheaper axe in a day & returned it. Bought the Fiskars and it has been through multiple trees since. We burn a lot of wood & I haven't bought it for years. Just got it sharpened for the first time in 4 years & cant wait to finish off the rounds I have.

Honorable mention, Gerber 7" Paraframe clips on my belt or goes in pocket. half fine, half serrated blade cuts anything, screws in flat or phillips screws, pulls up nails if needed. holds an edge. Great to have around

Sheet metal toolbox with tray I made in 8th grade shop class back around 1978. It' still my main indoor go to household tools and assorted hardware stash. It wasn't nearly as well flawless as some other kids.. I got a hard earned C in the class, but the stuff I made there is still in use and working fine so fuck that shop teacher who made me come in before school every day to scrape out a C from a D or F back then..
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 11-13-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Human brain is the best tool you can own.

I am also pretty fond of my arms and fingers since the brainster can tell them to do and make things that I like.

Sadly most folks appear to not own a brain.

If toolboxes count I'd mention my two vintage Kennedy's - acquired at estate sales for next to nothing.This model....https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...est-1925014563

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Sheet metal toolbox with tray I made in 8th grade shop class back around 1978. It' still my main indoor go to household tools and assorted hardware stash. It wasn't nearly as well flawless as some other kids.. I got a hard earned C in the class, but the stuff I made there is still in use and working fine so fuck that shop teacher who made me come in before school every day to scrape out a C from a D or F back then..
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I inherited some tools from my grandfather - really nice old (but pristine) tap and die stuff. Some of their handles were hand made by him. Never thought I'd need them but they came in handy when I put a new engine on our snowblower.

Most impressive though from his collection are his handmade C clamps, made from ~3/8 inch steel.

I have some of my grandfather's too. Favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Bosch 12 miter with the dual glide - I own two. Heavy as fuck but so smooth and easy to use. You gotta reach to the back of the saw to adjust your bevel, ha ha...your doing it wrong.
    I love my Bosch 12 saw. But right now the blade is not parallel with the slides. I can’t find any info on how to true it. I’m wondering if it took a fall of the bench. Does anyone have a cure ?

What’s the 12” saw to replace it? When I bought the saw around 2011-12, Bosch had just come out with the articulated arm saws, but I went with the tried and provenslide style. What’s the longer term opinion of the articulated arm saws?

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I love my Bosch 12 saw. But right now the blade is not parallel with the slides. I can’t find any info on how to true it. I’m wondering if it took a fall of the bench. Does anyone have a cure ?
    Like this?

The GSM12SD is still great in my opinion. Bosch has a service center in Denver staffed with factory trained tool nerds in lab coat. There prices are very reasonable.

Probably not. I'm guessing that Jethro is saying that as he pushed the blade back on the slides it goes out of square on the miter. It might need a bushing kit but really...take it to the nerds.

Foggy is right. As I slide the blade forward or backwards, the front and back of the blade do not follow the slide in a straight line. The blade is an off at an angle which I’d unacceptable for finish work. You can’t adjust the fence to fix it. And it is not the situation Iceman showed a fix for. Shy of offset bushings, or bending it back with brute force, I’m not sure how to fix it. I will contact Bosch I guess

Forgot to post this from my road trip to my uncle's place, these are some of his dad's tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	255506

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I inherited some tools from my grandfather - really nice old (but pristine) tap and die stuff. Some of their handles were hand made by him. Never thought I'd need them but they came in handy when I put a new engine on our snowblower.

Most impressive though from his collection are his handmade C clamps, made from ~3/8 inch steel.
    Got a picture of the c clamps?

My bad these ones are ~5/8" thick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0127.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	255509

nice