Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I thought it fucked up the bar too, no?
    Not a chainsaw expert, have been cutting down random trees for a decade or so. Been making some quick cash for the last few weeks cutting neighbor trees. I just posted a chainsaw stump grinding vid in the chainsaw thread a few days ago. Figured maul was the way to go. There’s no room to get a stump grinder in her gate. No room to chain on my truck either.

I’ve never had a plastic handle axe, always went wood. Have busted the head loose on more than a couple wood pick axes and hatchets though.

i dig under/around roots, clear shot and have not screwed up a bar...... yet. sure it will happen this year, got a stump in way of new deck

you might fuck up both the bar and chain but it ain't gonna hurt the motor none. I usually hang on to older chains and whupped bars just for shit jobs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you might fuck up both the bar and chain but it ain't gonna hurt the motor none. I usually hang on to older chains and whupped bars just for shit jobs like this.
    ^This.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    A neighborhood mami wants me to bust a stump out of the ground asap and greeted me to talk about it wearing no bra.
    I don't care if she was completely nekid part of being a sucess in business is knowing what job not to take
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't care if she was completely nekid part of being a sucess in business is knowing what job not to take
    True. So if he actually thinks he’s getting laid doing this, the right tool is the maul and he needs to talk off his shirt halfway through the job as it’s so tiring. A chainsaw would be way too loud obnoxious and quick. And of course ask to go inside for a glass of water is key, this advice is based on the online videos I’ve watched in similar situations.

A neighborhood mami wants me to bust a stump out of the ground asap and greeted me to talk about it wearing no bra.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    how long it take you to get the stump out?
    Ummm... Are you talking about his penis or the tree?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Best 6 or 8 pound splitting maul at the semi disposable $50 price point?
    For deer or naw?

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I just took down a dead grapefruit tree with a recip saw. Obviously not as fast as a chain saw but I don't have a chain saw and I don't mind using it on the roots. Fortunately citrus roots are all shallow. I don't think I had to cut anything deeper than about 6 inches below grade. And a grapefruit tree is a bit smaller than an elm for example.

Best 6 or 8 pound splitting maul at the semi disposable $50 price point?
    How big are you? An 8lb hammer is a bear, even when you know what you are doing with it. That said, an 8-pounder can do shit a 6 can't do nearly as well.

Get the cheapest one with the wood handle. The grain of a hickory or ash hammer handle should be parallel with the hammer head. Sometimes it's easier to see the grain at the head end than the bottom of the handle. Check where the wood enters the hammer - you don't want a poor forging to bite the wood.

You cold forge hammer heads as they work and they become better with use. 2nd hand hammers are often better than new, so it might be worthwhile to shop 2nd hand.

But anyway: https://www.amazon.com/Truper-30918-.../dp/B000KL4VBI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STIcrdjGjOI
    I bought one of these a few years ago. It’s incredibly strong, but the 100’ roll of 5/8” steel rope is a bitch to work with. I use it maybe twice a year at most, for some pretty random stuff. It pulls scrub oak stumps out so easily! My 25 year old Husqvarna 55 has probably been my best tool purchase though

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    How big are you? An 8lb hammer is a bear, even when you know what you are doing with it. That said, an 8-pounder can do shit a 6 can't do nearly as well.

Get the cheapest one with the wood handle. The grain of a hickory or ash hammer handle should be parallel with the hammer head. Sometimes it's easier to see the grain at the head end than the bottom of the handle. Check where the wood enters the hammer - you don't want a poor forging to bite the wood.

You cold forge hammer heads as they work and they become better with use. 2nd hand hammers are often better than new, so it might be worthwhile to shop 2nd hand.

But anyway: https://www.amazon.com/Truper-30918-.../dp/B000KL4VBI
    Good to know you’re still buying wood. No benefits of composite handles? I’ve never tried.

Isn’t there a land clearing thread or something? There was some tool handle talk in here somewhere.

But anyway, I have an 8 pound sledge, and a wedge, but a splitting maul seems way more effective for this. Looks better to split logs too, not sure why my old man used sledge and wedge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2F3B763-CF60-49B0-9681-000F39C5BFF1.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	328796

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I just took down a dead grapefruit tree with a recip saw. Obviously not as fast as a chain saw but I don't have a chain saw and I don't mind using it on the roots. Fortunately citrus roots are all shallow. I don't think I had to cut anything deeper than about 6 inches below grade. And a grapefruit tree is a bit smaller than an elm for example.
    This worked pretty well for me this weekend too. Diablo pruning blade.

Name:	IMG_3014.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	601.7 KB 
ID:	328801

Picked up this mail a few years ago and it’s been great. Not cheap but it’ll be one of those last you a lifetime tools.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

Picked up this mail a few years ago and it’s been great. Not cheap but it’ll be one of those last you a lifetime tools.

renting a splitter would be a lot cheaper

electric splitters work > gas if you got 115v handy, only 400$ on sale

Good to know you’re still buying wood. No benefits of composite handles? I’ve never tried.
    They sure look better! That snazzy cheese color just makes the whole job more appetizing. And she's bound to get worked up just watching a real man sweat on his 2-tone composite hammer handle...

"Do you mind if I wash my car while you do that?"

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

That’s a thing of beauty. Want. So. Bad.

Ps, yep a sawsall is not a bad thing for Smaller tree roots. Blades are cheap.
    . . .

the protective steel collar at the head is something I have never seen

my dad used to work in a shop building bridges, he would beat on so many 100 ton chunks of steel with sledges that he broke and replaced multiple handles

The handles would usually break at the head so he told me if you wrap the 4" of the handle next to the head with that packing tape that has the filements the handles don't break as fast

Love all my tools, but something about using the grinder to help me demo shit makes me happy. I really want a band saw to assist me in building some out door furniture. I need to look around on Craigslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Lol I mock and berate and threaten my survey crews that break hammer handles, especially from misjudging a swing while driving rebar. There's a core surveying skill involved in keeping hammer handles intact...you may be in BFAK and can't just zing down to Home Depot and so that broken $40 hammer just shut that $2800/hr crew and its dedicated $2200/hr helicopter down for a fucking while because it's socked in 200 miles away where the closest hardware store is, and they ain't got sense enough to keep from breaking their fucking tools...

The way to avoid that shit in your life is: Make sure that if you miss that spike, you always always miss short. A clean miss short [smaller than expected radius of swing] makes the hammer head impact first. A miss long breaks the handle, Little Buddy. So stand back. That heavy maul is gonna stretch your arms as it gathers centrifugal force, so swing that big iron to impact the target with the top half of the hammer face or wedge, or axe blade - not the center.

And that metal's not on that Sveedesh möll to protect from breaking the handle while swinging, but to protect that fineass handle when the wedge gets jammed and you have to lever it out.
    It's not there for ppls that spend $250 on a splittin maul they don't know how to use.

yeah he was beating on bridge girders while you were still in diapers

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STIcrdjGjOI
    I bought one of these a few years ago. It’s incredibly strong, but the 100’ roll of 5/8” steel rope is a bitch to work with. I use it maybe twice a year at most, for some pretty random stuff. It pulls scrub oak stumps out so easily! My 25 year old Husqvarna 55 has probably been my best tool purchase though
    Your name's Jethro and you don't have Warn winches on your trucks and ATVs? Seems shady.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Lol I mock and berate and threaten my survey crews that break hammer handles, especially from misjudging a swing while driving rebar. There's a core surveying skill involved in keeping hammer handles intact...you may be in BFAK and can't just zing down to Home Depot and so that broken $40 hammer just shut that $2800/hr crew and its dedicated $2200/hr helicopter down for a fucking while because it's socked in 200 miles away where the closest hardware store is, and they ain't got sense enough to keep from breaking their fucking tools...

The way to avoid that shit in your life is: Make sure that if you miss that spike, you always always miss short. A clean miss short [smaller than expected radius of swing] makes the hammer head impact first. A miss long breaks the handle, Little Buddy. So stand back. That heavy maul is gonna stretch your arms as it gathers centrifugal force, so swing that big iron to impact the target with the top half of the hammer face or wedge, or axe blade - not the center.

And that metal's not on that Sveedesh möll to protect from breaking the handle while swinging, but to protect that fineass handle when the wedge gets jammed and you have to lever it out.
    It's not there for ppls that spend $250 on a splittin maul they don't know how to use.
    maybe your best tool would be a rebar driver.
    off your knees Louie

You lookin' for a job?
    We can fly 2-man crew with GNSS or conventional gear, supplied for 10 days...in a 206. This gets us more places faster than anyone else because my crew chiefs, who handle their own logistics, can say that to "Whoever flies out there". That's with Vivas, no saws and only 12 sticks of 30"rebar though. #5 rebar 30" long weighs 2.6lbs...2.5 if it's sharpened, which makes up for a 2" alcap. Yeah, that kit's dialed