Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Debating mechanical pole saw (battery or gas) or some sort of one manual with a silky saw blade. Generally, we need something. Including climbing up into our big madrone to thin it out. Are the silky saws blades THAT much better that say fiskar? One advantage of the high end blade is that I’m pretty sure the teen will do a lot of the work. Damn kids.
    Like a pruning saw on the end of a pole?

I bought an electric plug in chainsaw on a pole from Harbor Freight for like $60. Worth every penny every time I have to prune dead branches off the line trees - just place saw on top of limb, pull trigger, weight of the saw pulls itself through the branch.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1. Blade: Diablo Carbide Pruning Blade. This thing tears through limbs and stays sharp. Worth the $10 several times over.
    2. I’ve had DeWalt & Makita where the tool became obsolete because new battery systems weren’t backward compatible. I went with Ryobi this time because they’re so invested in this battery platform I think they’re the most likely to keep supporting my tools in a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    good point. I've got Dewalt stuff where the batteries have been going for 15 years or more--but not lithium. And they don't even make 18V tools any more so when the batteries do go down I guess I need new tools, although there might be aftermarket replacements.

Debating mechanical pole saw (battery or gas) or some sort of one manual with a silky saw blade. Generally, we need something. Including climbing up into our big madrone to thin it out. Are the silky saws blades THAT much better that say fiskar? One advantage of the high end blade is that I’m pretty sure the teen will do a lot of the work. Damn kids.
    I've used an electric one once, didn't find it any easier than hand pole saw. The weight is the issue. Hard to maneuver the saw through dense foliage. If you need to prune thick easy to reach branches I would go with the power saw. If smaller branches away from the trunk I'd stay with hand.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    been using the same extension cord for 30 yars
    Not a very long trail then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The Best Tool You Own

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Like a pruning saw on the end of a pole?

I bought an electric plug in chainsaw on a pole from Harbor Freight for like $60. Worth every penny every time I have to prune dead branches off the line trees - just place saw on top of limb, pull trigger, weight of the saw pulls itself through the branch.
    Thanks. I’ll look into the inexpensive plug in ones (hadn’t considered them). Yes, pruning saw. If I really want to treat my madrone well, I need to get into the tree, like climbing and standing in a few notches, to prune/thin it. It’s a big madrone. Of course, I’d use whatever I get for more than just a single tree.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Not a very long trail then?
    There's always a current bush nearby.

I haven't used the Fiskar saws, but the Silky is a joy to use. It's perhaps my favorite hand tool.

Power tool I've got to give it to the Hitachi 10" sliding compound miter saw. Just flawless cuts for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Hah.

Thanks. I’ll look into the inexpensive plug in ones (hadn’t considered them). Yes, pruning saw. If I really want to treat my madrone well, I need to get into the tree, like climbing and standing in a few notches, to prune/thin it. It’s a big madrone. Of course, I’d use whatever I get for more than just a single tree.
    I don't know what a madrone is like to prune. I typo'd my post - meant to write pine trees, not line trees. We have a lot of Jeffrey and ponderosa pines. The dead branches I trim off them are anywhere from 3-8" thick usually. I pruned one branch with a manual saw, and that was enough. Arms were dead. Bought the electric saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Fisker is work, but cuts well.

16' (standard length) gas pole saw for a nice stand of trees is worth the $. Quite the shoulder workout.

Your conifers won't need the frequency deciduous would.

Renting one might fill the need.
    ​I am not in your hurry

The Best Tool You Own

I’ve rented a gas pole saw before. It worked for my needs at that time, and I was worked, too . I did all work while standing on the ground.

I might have a neighbor with one that I could borrow.

Madrone is an evergreen hardwood . My limbing life will mostly be use on our conifers, with less use on our oaks, madrones, and even les use on our few fruit trees.

Today, I watched a utility tree guy carefully remove a large oak branch while standing in a bucket truck. He did it in pieces to be able to manually remove the limbs and toss them over some sensitive stuff on the ground directly below the branch. He used his small silky handsaw a lot until the branch thickness was about 4-5”, then he switched to his chainsaw. He was so fast with the handsaw, faster than he could be with his little chainsaw, if you consider the time to pull this chainsaw out, disengage the chain break, and saw the limb. The easy that his silky saw cut through the limbs made me reconsider the idea of getting a mechanical pruning saw or a cheaper manual pruning saw.

/enuf words

I don't worship at the alter of (name yer battery ) probably the only thing worse is being married to (name yer battery ) i just use whatever extension cord I can git my hands on

We used 3 of the Fiskers with the blade that telescopes into the handle for a research project, where we measured them and then killed them for science

we cut down > 1100 juvenilie pine/balsam/spruce in the understory (under 4M) also took a a disc at 10cm so that was 2200 cuts and I was suprised at how well the Fiskers worked

IME cleaning the blades with alcohol was pretty key to keeping them cutting well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Best Tool You Own

I don't worship at the alter of (name yer battery ) probably the only thing worse is being married to (name yer battery ) i just use whatever extension cord I can git my hands on

There are plenty of things that corded tools just aren't practical for. It is what it is.

I'm on the ryobi train as well, started it by buying a whole bunch of stuff off a guy on craigslist for next to nothing. I have a few newer li-ion batteries that came with my weedeater and blower that have been going strong for a few years now. Sure, there are better tools out there, but it suits my needs as a homeowner/DIYer just fine.

what we need is one of them relationship advice columns where you put down the name of your battery as yer significant other

ME, I wana git tied up with 50' of 12guage ... pretty kinky eh

I have a few little gripes about some fiskars grips coming off on hand pruners and gasket loose on expanding loppers. Just going to silicone them both. But I’ve been beating on my fiskars pole saw for probably 10 years. Rope is getting a little beat and pruning mechanism needs to be cleaned. Thanks for idea on alcohol xxx. But I’d recommend for sure. I saw a guy use a silky and I’m gonna day it was probably sharper, but I don’t know what they cost. An electric pole saw is definitely next in line in my quiver. Not sure to go battery or plug. But with as good as batteries are getting I just don’t feel like going gas. I’ve already bird dogged three tree jobs that were out of my league do to location near house or road, need to find a larger partner company to do the heavy hitting.

I've never used an electric pull saw, but silky saws cut pretty goddamn well.

To clarify, I’m considering a pole saw and not pole pruners.

The fiskars comes with both attached. I use the pruner option a lot to nip the ends of branches to stop growth etc I had forgotten that the lock on the extension didn’t work for me when I got it. They sent me a new locking collar. Just pulled it up and looks like they made a completely new mechanizm.

Didn’t realize home depot carried silky.

$46
    Vs
    $300

That said the silky is 21 feet vs 15.

I was looking at that ^^^ Home Depot cost compare, too. Crazy! Besides length, I’ve read the fiskar ain’t too great with thicker wood. Hard to put value on the 14 yo getting out there and putting in the sweat and saw time... it’s a pretty tough time to be a teen right now. He’s used a silky saw at the neighborhood outdoor school that he went to. So he’s already spoiled with the fancy saw.

I’ve broken some fiskar loppers that were almost 10 years old, and they stood by their warranty. That was pretty rad.

Yes, silky saw blades are that much better.
    If you have serious amounts of work to do, I recently upgraded from a gas pole pruner and wholeheartedly recommend this: https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/C...adegeraet.aspx

I hate using my Fiskars pole saw on anything over 2-3 inches, so I eventually threw down for an electric pole saw:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5977658

I love the electric saw for larger branches, a lot, but the lopper on the Fiskers pole saw is pretty handy for smaller stuff. The electric saw is a fuck of a lot faster on larger branches.

Like XXX-says, I got battery loyalty, plus that Stihl above is even more expensive, so I went with Milwaukee. Tuts only about 10 ft long, so there are some issues there with higher branches, but I feel better about standing up on something than I would with a regular chainsaw, because I’m not in proximity to the bar and I don’t have to extend my arms as much. Anyway, electric pole saw recommended, but they’re spendy.

so i ain't above using one of them fangled battery powerd tools I just made it this far without being owned by one

I pointed this out to a carpenter bud, a smart guy, smart enough to get out of the bideness of pounding nails and go back to school

He said well thats fine so if you ever need to do a job just buy the tools and do it

which is different than owning a buncha batteries

So until then I remain not owned by any battery group or any woman

The words & reflections of Corb Lund the Hurtin Albertan seem entirely appropo for this thread

believe it or else buddy was a heavy punk metal rocker
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-21-2020 at 11:30 AM.

The words & reflections of Corb Lund the Hurtin Albertan seem entirely appropo for this thread

believe it or else buddy was a heavy punk metal rocker

Now you're speaking my language!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    flowering version I hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Now you're speaking my language!
    heavy punk metal or hard on equipment ?

Corb Lund also has a good song about getting PU trucks stuck you might also identify with

kinda settles that which truck ford/ chevy/ dodge question eh