Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    believe it or else buddy was a heavy punk metal rocker
    A little thread drift, but Ryan Adams (Hellen Keller Experience)) and Sally Timms (Mekons) were both punkers before they made some really good country albums - Whiskeytown and Cowboy Sally’s Country Laments.

thread drift should never be frowned upon but insead rated for coolness

or something
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

thread drift should never be frowned upon but insead rated for coolness

or something
    How many stars did I get?

doesnt matter what I think, whats important is that YOU are a legend in yer own mind

Not really familiar with those names just like you probably ain't familiar with Corb Lund or the Smalls I suspect its probably a regional thing

edit: so googling helen keller I get a whole lot of hits for deaf/blind people, the Mekons seem more familair but neith one I can recall
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Best Tool You Own

heavy punk metal or hard on equipment ?

Corb Lund also has a good song about getting PU trucks stuck you might also identify with

kinda settles that which truck ford/ chevy/ dodge question eh
    Hard on equipment is the perfect thread drift for this thread.

The best tools I own are the ones i haven't broken or misused yet.

Corb has made some appearances in the "real country music" thread or whatever its called.

Entertaining hillbilly training for Alaska pontificates on replacement of axe handles. If you enjoyed this, read his bio and some of the other articles, about splitting wood etc.

http://jamestwohats.com/BackPackBlog/?page_id=3275

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3F363A1-65F6-4E3D-B13D-267739C736A1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	329755

Name:	EE04CD5A-7503-4798-9D13-71CE09070867.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	329757

My little trailer has been a good tool lately. Carrying loads to the free green waste drop. I bought it several years ago from one of the captains of the nearby volunteer fire district, who recently passed (age).

Name:	IMG_3451.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	329758

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post

Name:	D3F363A1-65F6-4E3D-B13D-267739C736A1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	329755

Name:	EE04CD5A-7503-4798-9D13-71CE09070867.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	329757
    This maul looks rad!

This maul looks a lot like an axe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This maul looks a lot like an axe to me.
    Bespoke axes are the new in thing.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Maybe I “misspoke.” I’m happy to be wrong, but it’s still pretty

Yeah despite previous convo realized axe was tool I needed for that project, worked well. The issue at this property was aspen roots latterly connected. Got some smaller ones out with pick axe, but more firepower was needed for some of the big ones. Just couldn’t get down with putting my sawzall in the mud. I did try sawzall on some pruning branches with my lumber blade, worked well. Those pruning blades from HF are trash.

Entertaining hillbilly training for Alaska pontificates on replacement of axe handles. If you enjoyed this, read his bio and some of the other articles, about splitting wood etc.

http://jamestwohats.com/BackPackBlog/?page_id=3275
    He doesn’t know you can actually buy broad axe handles......

Yeah despite previous convo realized axe was tool I needed for that project, worked well. The issue at this property was aspen roots latterly connected. Got some smaller ones out with pick axe, but more firepower was needed for some of the big ones. Just couldn’t get down with putting my sawzall in the mud. I did try sawzall on some pruning branches with my lumber blade, worked well. Those pruning blades from HF are trash.
    Can't believe the Pulaski hasn't been recommended yet. Cheap, easy to sharpen, and very effective at grubbing out and hacking up roots.

And there are splitting mauls, and splitting axes. Couldn't tell you the cuttoff exactly, except that a splitting axe can reasonably split wood and makes an OK axe, while a splitting maul is only for splitting wood and is unusable as an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Can't believe the Pulaski hasn't been recommended yet. Cheap, easy to sharpen, and very effective at grubbing out and hacking up roots.
    +1

Well I will admit, I thought I was going to be able to smack the poll of this axe with a maul. Spent some time reading today, and couldn’t ascertain why you can hit a splitting maul with a hammer maul, but not an axe. Just forged differently?

BC, Pulaski mentioned a couple times in here, I’ll be looking into it. Probably keep the axe even though I don’t have a ton of need for it just cause it’s a nice toy.

The pol of an axe is for hitting non metallic things, like plastic felling wedges and wooden stakes. It usually isn’t hardened like the cutting edge and will mushroom and deform if struck against steel or rock. The eye of the axe can deform also. The pol is also there as a weight for balance

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Bespoke axes are the new in thing.
    Hippster axes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This one has a pretty thin sharp blade for a maul, meaning kind of split the difference. I guess that’s a pun. And you can also smack it with a hammer if it gets stuck.

Name:	39A6F9D1-6AD8-4E6A-A37F-3D882FBAE7F9.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	986.8 KB 
ID:	329848

Hit the poll with a mallet (round log works great - easy to make a handle). It’ll eventually get beat to shit, burn it, make a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hippster axes.
    is that a thing again?

Makita track saw.

I’ve had it for about 9 months and it has been a joy to use. The motor is smooth and quiet. Dust collection is great. The stock blade is really good. You can make perfectly straight cuts and glue ready joints. These things are so useful.

Not cheap but I’ve not once regretted the purchase

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hippster axes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    is that a thing again?
    I went to Best Made Company to post a link so I could say “Did it ever go away?” but they’re on COVID-19 hiatus.
    https://www.bestmadeco.com/

I’m on their mailing list - the catalog is good for a few laughs and starting fires.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    New toy- Battery operated Shop Vac from Rigid. Not going to vacuum the house with it, but if you sweep a pile, it will suck it all up. Batteries seem to last about 30 minutes. 15 on just one, but no sacrifice in power. Very sweet not having to deal with the cord. I have 5 of the 18 v batteries, so easy enough to keep a rotation going for the big jobs.
    I’ve been nursing my dying Shop Vac along for a while. Didn’t consider cordless was even an option- this sounds like a nice upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post

And there are splitting mauls, and splitting axes. Couldn't tell you the cuttoff exactly, except that a splitting axe can reasonably split wood and makes an OK axe, while a splitting maul is only for splitting wood and is unusable as an axe.
    Browsing around at Pulaskis. I had looked at them a few weeks ago when skipper mentioned them. But I guess with an arnesal of tools in the truck, it seems less useful than if you were in the field and needed a combo tool to make it easier to pack/carry. I have a couple pick matlocks, and they seem like less of a liability than a sharp edge axe on the backside of a Pulaski, plus the advantage of the pick.