Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Swiss Army knife with the Phillips and two sizes flat head screwdrivers, tweezers, toothpick, corkscrew, can opener, magnifying glass, etc. I use it probably 10 times + a day.

I use our sub-compact John Deere 2320 tractor more than any other tractor. It saves us so much work.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Magnet on a stick.
    See your magnet on a stick and raise you a magnet on a stick with wheels. The magnetic sweeper rocks. It is a must have for anyone does projects in the same space where they park their cars.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    OBD II scanner. Kicks ass seeing why the check engine light came on, then get you tube certification for the cure and make the fix. Some of the best $85 I've spent.
    Absolutely! Cheap skates can get $20 wifi obd scanner (mines a VeePeak) and $10 app for your phone (mines obd fusion). This kind of set up may not have all the same features as the stand alone units but they are pretty cool nonetheless.

Another cheap gadget I use more than I would like to is a AAA compressor for filling auto tires. It was >$20 from Amazon and it does the job. That said it is damn noisy, slow and only plugs into the vehicles cig lighter not household current. But at $1 for 5 minutes of air at the gas station it's already paid for itself.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

If I'm not someone who works on cars, why would I need a scanner/code reader?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If I'm not someone who works on cars, why would I need a scanner/code reader?
    It could keep you from dropping money at a mechanic on something easily fixed like a loose gas cap. But you usually can get a free reading at an auto parts store, so no reason to own one if you won't be wrenching on it yourself.
    Last edited by zartagen; 05-27-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Double negative

don't know if I'd call it the best, but this ranks up there

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I use our sub-compact John Deere 2320 tractor more than any other tractor. It saves us so much work.
    I love my Deere 1026r with a bucket, MMM, tiller, and hilling discs. Next up is a box blade and/or york rake.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Absolutely! Cheap skates can get $20 wifi obd scanner (mines a VeePeak) and $10 app for your phone (mines obd fusion). This kind of set up may not have all the same features as the stand alone units but they are pretty cool nonetheless.

Another cheap gadget I use more than I would like to is a AAA compressor for filling auto tires. It was >$20 from Amazon and it does the job. That said it is damn noisy, slow and only plugs into the vehicles cig lighter not household current. But at $1 for 5 minutes of air at the gas station it's already paid for itself.
    I ended up buying a more expensive portable air compressor after seeing a buddy take forever to air up his tires with a cheaper compressor. It's a Viair. Ended up receiving the RV version for the same price which included two hoses and an auto shut off feature. Was about $100 but can fill a 32" tire in just over a minute or so. Awesome for reinflating the jeep tires after airing down. But doubly great for all the vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Winner.
    I haven't read many responses, but i'd feel let down if one of the mags on the ECRC that are constantly bickering and threatening each other has not named their combatant as best tool owned.
    speaking of winners...
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    An air compressor.
    does anyone have a portable car one that they recommend? Looking for one that has both ac and dc powers. Found one on amazon, but haven't been able to find good non-amazon reviews.

My Park TS3 truing stand. Built a few hundred wheels on it, still going strong (though I can't use it for plus/fat tires)...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

DeWalt 20v max tools with the new 5 amp battery after freaking bomber.

Drilling through .250 steel like butter. Cordless grinder that actually cuts through 1/2" thick material. Yes please. Rotary hammer that makes old concrete feel like asphalt whole you're drilling it.

Pro tip. Battery and charger is @150. Blower with battery and charger only $20 more.

Now I can be leaves into my neighbor's yard.

You gotta be leaves I always say.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You gotta be leaves I always say.
    Heh. I wuz gonna say that.

Must've missed this thread the first time.

Most used - tool truck pocket screwdriver

Most impressively durable - Craftsman impact sockets, never broken one, daily use for 15 years. No reason to spend big coin for big names

Favorite - antique Snap On tool box and 3/4" drive sockets passed down to me by Grampa, who owned/drove big rigs and busted knuckles with them into his 80s

I own a pair of Knipex that live in the ER with me. When I need to get a ring off someone's finger fast, they don't fail. The only thing they aren't good for is hardened steel or ti cockrings. Something about putting that much pressure near something so vascular... Just call the fire department.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...%20Hoe&redir=Y

If you need to grub a trench, this is the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    This sent me down a Youtube rabbit hole. Holy shit that guy's vids are informative and entertaining as hell! Makes me want to go play with tools and read a bunch of books simultaneously.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Magnet on a stick.
    Winner. And provides immense happiness after breaking despair.

My welding hood

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    This sent me down a Youtube rabbit hole. Holy shit that guy's vids are informative and entertaining as hell! Makes me want to go play with tools and read a bunch of books simultaneously.
    No shit....I’m the complete opposite of a shop guy, but I’ve been fascinated with this guys videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    No shit....I’m the complete opposite of a shop guy, but I’ve been fascinated with this guys videos.
    A true renaissance man. The guy is sharp as a tack.

the one between my legs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This thing is pretty useful
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”