Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    It’s been very harshly brought to my attention that anyone that wanted to throw down a few or several fence replaces and repairs would most likely favor a jackhammer as their favorite tool. I’m going to need a trailer to carry all this shit. Maybe I’ll start a fence company and sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    It’s been very harshly brought to my attention that anyone that wanted to throw down a few or several fence replaces and repairs would most likely favor a jackhammer as their favorite tool. I’m going to need a trailer to carry all this shit. Maybe I’ll start a fence company and sell it.
    Pretty indispensable for those occasions where the post has to go in the same place.

Really handy any time you have to dig in clay (with the spade attachment).

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Pretty indispensable for those occasions where the post has to go in the same place.
    The fucking worst fence to fix - where someone poured concrete in the hole to secure wood posts into the ground. Dug about four of those out on this place so far. One I just let the turf grow over. WTF is the point of cement in a gravel pit? Posts rot at the same spot, in about the same amount of time, regardless of the added concrete anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The fucking worst fence to fix - where someone poured concrete in the hole to secure wood posts into the ground. Dug about four of those out on this place so far. One I just let the turf grow over. WTF is the point of cement in a gravel pit? Posts rot at the same spot, in about the same amount of time, regardless of the added concrete anchor.
    To keep the fence upright, at least for your basic California redwood 6 foot fence. Bare wood set in the ground will tip over pretty quickly unless you dig a very deep hole. And I've had redwood posts last 20 years or more in concrete. But galvanized 7 posts from now on. Actually we were going to do brick--much classier, until we saw the price.

Suppose it's necessary for such a tall panel/privacy fence. All the concrete posts I've removed were for 5' or shorter posts, for which a 3' deep hole has been totally sufficient. But I agree, if such anchoring is needed, steel and concrete are the most practical.

There’s a little screen clamped on this exhaust port of this auger. Seems like attaching a flexible metal hose would be possible. When it’s blowing right on a fence back at face level it’s pretty stout. Obv a hose would have to be melt resistant and would get clogged or bent easy etc etc which is I’m sure why there isn’t one on there. Seems like a good possible temp mod though.
    For planting poles out in a field this would be boss. For urban repair I’m still a little on the fence (pun) about if an electric would be better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1EE55DE7-F042-4039-A0F3-4510A2425C4A.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	332160

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3502.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	332261
    Not the “best” tool I own, but pretty stoked on this. $25 inflator on sale at Home Depot. $10 generic pump head from Amazon. Works with the Ryobi 18v batteries I’ve already got. Super convenient for bikes and cars. Gauge is not accurate, but a good ballpark for inflation before using a real gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

This may be the place to ask but what do folks think about the Little Giant style ladders? I'm not a contractor and really just need to get onto my roof on occasion or to work in a high carport. Also the idea of a ladder that is a bit more compact for the 363 days of the year I don't use it seems nice.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    This may be the place to ask but what do folks think about the Little Giant style ladders? I'm not a contractor and really just need to get onto my roof on occasion or to work in a high carport. Also the idea of a ladder that is a bit more compact for the 363 days of the year I don't use it seems nice.
    They're sweet. We have very high ceilings and about 1000 bulbs. Only gripe is weight....They're not light.

I am an electrician and use a huge variety of ladders all the time. If I absolutely, positively could only have one ladder to do it all, up to about 12 feet, a Little giant would top my list. However, since I have access to lots of other LIGHTER ladders, I almost never use the little giant. The one area it really shines is as a u shaped bridge over things, like a scaffold. I used one once to hang a light over an expensive pool table which we could not step on or move. I’d get a 15’ three section aluminum extension ladder with stair step accessory Legs and a 6’ electricians Three legged ladder.

Yeah as a tradesman I used to look down on little giants, because as was stated above, I had access to way lighter options. However as a one man operation the versatility cant be beat and they finally made a lighter version(which I have) that is pretty nice. My one complaint is if you're using it as an extension the rungs get narrow and there is quite a bit of flex. Just like skis having a quiver of one is going to do a bunch of things "ok" but none of them great.

Also def not the best tool I own by far.

The Best Tool You Own

stay outta my line

Little giants are perfect for the homeowner. You own one ladder and it does it all.

The downsides: The are heavy as fuck. They are awkward to setup. A step ladder is going to be easier to use for its purpose. An extension ladder is going to be easier to use for its purpose.

But... the benefit of only owning and storing one ladder makes up for the weight and awkwardness..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Little Giant style ladders?
    They're homeowner awesome. Yes, they're heavy, but it's a lot easier to get through the house without knocking something since it's compact. And easier to store if you don't want to hang it in the garage.
    It's annoyingly hard to figure out what size ladder you're actually buying since they advertise the "reach" instead of the actual lengths. I've got the Gorilla MTX17. They advertise it as an 18' reach ladder. Basically it's a 7' 6" step ladder and 14' 10" extension ladder. I've got 12' ceilings and can change lightbulbs standing on the second to last step. It's significantly more steady on those upper rungs than my previous fiberglass extension ladders. It's 34lbs.
    Just now discovered that it has these brackets that allow me to separate the upper and lower legs to get two small step ladders or scaffold bases. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...2258995?NCNI-5 Buying today.
    However many are in a shit ton.

+ whatever for homeowner little giant and its variations (gorilla). Having climbed many a ladder, its basically a one and done. As mentioned heavy as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just now discovered that it has these brackets that allow me to separate the upper and lower legs to get two small step ladders or scaffold bases. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...2258995?NCNI-5 Buying today.
    Thanks for the heads up, got to get a set of those!

Alright, sounds like it's almost unanimous. I'll keep an eye out for TransplantedfromRMNP's Flex-O-Ladder and if that isn't available then I'll check out the Little Giants.

I wouldn't get one if the only thing I was going to use it for was to get on the roof. We have one (I got it for my wife for xmas--she does, or used to, do all the ladder work). It's useful for awkward situations like working on stairs, as a scaffold, and in other not-straightforward situations.
    My favorite ladder related tool is the extension leg, since we live on a hillside. My neighbor is always borrowing it too.

I'm not so sure. I have a Little Giant and like everyone else, only use it in weird spots or when I need an extension ladder, because I went and got a $45 step ladder for convenience. For the price of a little giant, you can get a 6' step ladder and a 16' extension ladder, which are both better, faster, and lighter for their intended purposes, assuming that the 6' step ladder will get you where you need to go around the house.

if you are doing electrical you should be using wood or composite but not aluminium which i knew but didnt really think about why until i scoped out GF's electric roof
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks, OG. I guess I included that as an example of the most elevation I'd need.

If you have some storage space I would really recommend getting an extension ladder and a step ladder. If you are trying to do jobs out of your Subaru, then I can see trying to use a one size fits all ladder like a little giant. That is what I have done. Bolt on adjustable legs for the extension ladder are a plus

I like the little giant ladder, I’ve had a Werner for 15 years still going strong. Even with a regular bad on my truck, an extension ladder doesn’t fit all the way inside. I also have a 6 ft step ladder, and a step stool. Usually use the three in combo on painting gigs.

The one I hate is that foldy type. 3 hinges, 4 panels. Can only bend, not extend. Have fucked up my fingers using a friends, not very easy to get just the right height etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    The one I hate is that foldy type. 3 hinges, 4 panels. Can only bend, not extend. Have fucked up my fingers using a friends, not very easy to get just the right height etc etc
    I had one of those. I liked it because it could be set up as scaffolding. It broke after a few years and several pinched fingers. Won't buy again.

I should clarify--I have the multiposition ladder, the original one-the 3 hinge, 4 panel type . I didn't realize they had other models now. Yes, it's heavy, awkward to set up, we use it rarely, but when we do need it's invaluable. I should probably get rid of it. We're too old for ladders.