Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ski Chile 2017

Snow forecast is looking up (prudent to divide by 2)

Name:  My Snow Forecast.com.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  142.6 KB

Valle Nevado Transportation

Anyone have good expertise getting to/from Valle Nevado from Santiago? I am looking to return to Santiago from Valle Nevado earlier than most shuttle services offer. All group shuttle services leave at 5 pm which is too late for me, but all private transportation is way too expensive above my price range. I see that taxis are available in the mornings going to Valle Nevado. Does anyone know if taxis are easily available AT Valle Nevado early in the afternoons? Anyone have recent experience returning to Santiago via taxi?

Quote Originally Posted by need2ski View Post
    Anyone have good expertise getting to/from Valle Nevado from Santiago? I am looking to return to Santiago from Valle Nevado earlier than most shuttle services offer. All group shuttle services leave at 5 pm which is too late for me, but all private transportation is way too expensive above my price range. I see that taxis are available in the mornings going to Valle Nevado. Does anyone know if taxis are easily available AT Valle Nevado early in the afternoons? Anyone have recent experience returning to Santiago via taxi?
    I donīt use taxis, but VN must have one-way arriving taxis/private transfers every day, that return to Santiago empty. It is a question of finding one, and negotiating a price. I would start sending queries to many such companies and ask in your hotel too. I know Uber includes Valle Nevado in their offerings, but donīt know if you can share, or go one way. Note if you go down on a weekend you may have to wait until 3:00pm, due to road restrictions from Farellones down.

It has started snowing in the 3 Valleys, with little accumulation as yet. Light snowfalls are forecast off and on for the next week. Starting August 5, Portillo stopped selling day tickets, due to snow conditions. Hotel guests can ski, almost all lifts are open.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    It has started snowing in the 3 Valleys, with little accumulation as yet. Light snowfalls are forecast off and on for the next week. Starting August 5, Portillo stopped selling day tickets, due to snow conditions. Hotel guests can ski, almost all lifts are open.
    Hopefully conditions improve in the next month. I'm guessing if Portillo conditions are bad that Ski Arpa cat skiing wouldn't be worth the cost? Anyone have experience?

Chile in Sept

Getting down to Santiago on the 1st of Sept. If anyone is interested in getting down to Chillan and Corralco in the first couple of weeks in Sept. and splitting some rooms/rental car let me know. I've been down lots so kind of know what's going on down there. I'm a resort/park skier so if you're looking for a touring partner, i'm not your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Hopefully conditions improve in the next month. I'm guessing if Portillo conditions are bad that Ski Arpa cat skiing wouldn't be worth the cost? Anyone have experience?
    The current snowfall is very localized, so far only 4 cm in La Parva. Hard to say what is happening in Arpa, but Andrew Thomases put up some recent photos on FB, and it looked skiable but well below average snowpack.

Mostly just fog in LP right now.

Two years ago we got up early Sat. am after the big early August dump and there was a bidding war for our driver going down. Folks had beer trapped for a day or two.

If there are cabs and cars going up, certainly possible to catch a discount ride down.

When do you need to get down? I have a car and will likely be up and down this weekend into Monday, maybe Tuesday. PM if that's something that might work

About a foot has fallen so far, windless, temp hovering just below 0 C.

Fog billowing up, lucky me just got a 90 minute window.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Folks had beer trapped for a day or two.
    Free the beer!