Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ski Chile 2017

Some stoke from the past 2 weeks (Corralсo and NdC):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170811_105434.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	210793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170811_105426.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	210794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170815_134209.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	210795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170815_134231.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	210796
    Last edited by tipdive; 08-20-2017 at 10:11 AM.

sweet!

maybe someday....

Nice crowd on the slopes.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Nice crowd on the slopes.
    Last Mon-Tue was a public holiday in Chile, so Chillan got pretty crowded,... but when the Chileans went home, the 20 or so gringos who stayed had the place to themselves 😀

Sent from my SM-G900F using TGR Forums mobile app

Cajon skied good. Don't forget to ask for permission if heading to the areas beyond Alto Maipo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron

Cajon skied good. Don't forget to ask for permission if heading to the areas beyond Alto Maipo

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=84222
    TGR Forums[/url]
    Yes, but only for Valle Arenas, you need permission from the owners, not Alto Maipo. Send your ID numbers, names, and license plate # to vallelasarenas@gmail.com at least before 4pm the day before.
    This is a control just to keep things orderly and hopefully less garbage.

Last edited by Casey E; 08-20-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZebraHead View Post
    About 2 feet fresh and light up top at Las Lenas overnight. Another 2 feet due Wednesday.

Needed to replace the 5 feet that fell this month but was then blown away by a week of consistent, very strong winds
    What is the base like? snow in los molles? possible to skin/ski from/to the road?

Bariloche zone is set up quite well for the snow forecasted for the coming days. Very good and fluffy two days ago, warmer and mushy yesterday, still warmer and super windy today.

Name:  lopezWald.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  223.3 KB
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Spring was sprung in La Parva today, melting fast at the bottom. Last Saturdays 15cm snowfall was still evident, but the entire area was skied off. The area is now the domain of racers and other folks in clinics, plus the snow park boys at La Parvas "highest snow park in the southern hemisphere".

Something may fall Tuesday night, with a big drop in temps. Meantime, packed powder conditions on the upper half and freeze thaw on the lower.

The snow park

The muddy home stretch from Manantiales

Those bare breasted boys playing frisbee football are the American team.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    Yes, but only for Valle Arenas, you need permission from the owners, not Alto Maipo. Send your ID numbers, names, and license plate # to vallelasarenas@gmail.com at least before 4pm the day before.
    This is a control just to keep things orderly and hopefully less garbage.

Email is actually vallelasarenas1@gmail.com, include dates of trip and try to do it as early as possible. Keep a copy of the email on your phone or printed.

Access is controlled by the Alto Maipo project landowners. The he gatekeeper is generally friendly to skiers but on Sunday did not open the road due to avalanche concerns (although their own trucks were operating). Added maybe an hour to the skin to Arenas.

Kind of a touchy access issue for the moment. I like that they maintain the road but am not so sure I like that their project is slurping the whole Estero Marmolejo.

You need this permission if planning to approach anything via the Cajon Arenas road (e.g. Morado, Mesoncito, Arenas)

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Email is actually vallelasarenas1@gmail.com, include dates of trip and try to do it as early as possible. Keep a copy of the email on your phone or printed.

Access is controlled by the Alto Maipo project landowners. The he gatekeeper is generally friendly to skiers but on Sunday did not open the road due to avalanche concerns (although their own trucks were operating). Added maybe an hour to the skin to Arenas.

Kind of a touchy access issue for the moment. I like that they maintain the road but am not so sure I like that their project is slurping the whole Estero Marmolejo.

This must be the latest iteration of the ongoing saga of Valle lLas Arenas access. It may be an Alto Maipo control booth, who have a government concession to slurp up this and other watersheds, but the valley, like most of Chile, is privately owned and they are the ones who give permission. There are disputes in the country regarding mountain access, and this is one of many.

Ski Chile 2017

The temperature dropped today, it got cloudier, and the wind picked up, "norteando" as they say here. Still skied very well.

"Circulo al sol, lluvia o temblor" as the saying goes

Good day for sync skiing

Our resident furry friend didn't seem worried, even at 3,500m

So the day ended with gusting winds, clouds above and below, and some fog, but no snow falling yet. May be another "puros tramites" event, but the sunset was nice

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    What is the base like? snow in los molles? possible to skin/ski from/to the road?

]
    Not a good base. Once again the wind has been unkind. As so often at LL, the wind brings the storm in, it gets quiet and dumps, but then the wind returns to make a mess of the pack.
    Las Molles - snow, and chains were required well before LM on the weekend but not sure of current status.

It's snowing now and 10 inches or whatever will be nice, but the off-piste base is thin. You can do Mercurio, Paradiso, etc but Eduardos hasn't opened all season - it has snow but the snowpack variability and work required to open it now likely means they wont bother. Other hiking - as usual, a lot depends when/if Marte opens.

Tof Henry bags El Morado south east face, Cajon del Maipo
    https://www.facebook.com/tof.henry/p...54542520018239

Meanwhile, it huffed and puffed in La Parva and whipped the snow around something fierce, above 3,000m

And through it all, the downhillers still had their day.

The wind did mold some nice chalky wind buffs, so they are a safe off piste bet for now, if you can find them. Cool temps will preserve what snow there is, and hopefully fresh snow will show up on the horizon soon, but I am not holding my breath.

Killer sunset pic Casey

Southern Chile is getting clobbered with snow. Just to keep the stoke going, this Malalcahuello outfit does backcountry tours in the Lonquimay/Sierra Nevada area, which open up some nice possibilities. They also rent BC gear including tents.
    http://www.isotermacero.cl/es/randon...malalcahuello/

Some of their pics

Name:	Backcountry-guiado-3.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	210984

Name:	Sierra_nevada_touring-111.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	447.2 KB 
ID:	210987

Name:	Backcountry-guiado-4.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	327.2 KB 
ID:	210988

Antillanca has more snow than they can handle
    Name:  antill.png
Views: 604
Size:  189.9 KB

Road conditions should be checked for anywhere south of Curico before venturing out

In Santiago now and looking for touring partners for the next week or so. Reach out to kamerondeckerharris@gmail.com if you'd like to get out!

Ski Chile 2017

Variable weather day yesterday. Skied El Colorado in the morning, on excellent groomers, the higher the better. Variable cloudiness. Set out on a skiabout in the afternoon, destination Falso Parva, La Lengua and la Chimenea. Part way up the bowl side we were turned back by violent gusting winds and encroaching clouds. It then cleared, but we were on our way back by then, and it ended up cloudy/foggy. No new snow in sight....

Getting onto a patch of of snow leading to Valle Amarillo in La Parva

Heading up the Falso

Clouds and twisters, our tracks through the cruddy snow are visible

Slava checking the snow depth beside La Laguna, 1.6m at 3,600m

The full extent of La Parva, from the south, the town up to Fabres in the foreground

Wondering how Chillan is faring? They posted these pics yesterday

Ski Chile 2017

Sorry to miss out on skiing with you Friday, Casey. I met a friend up there this weekend and we found surprisingly good snow. The lower down off piste was good preserved powder in sheltered Santa Tere, so long as you look out for sharks. Las pistas también estaban buenas.

Just scrolled past this from a friend in my social media feed, can't make heads or tails of it as it's all in Spanish and FB's translation service sucks. Any details?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    Just scrolled past this from a friend in my social media feed, can't make heads or tails of it as it's all in Spanish and FB's translation service sucks. Any details?
    ]
    Says this was Saturday, nobody got hurt, and commenters complain about security on the slopes. No news of this on the Nevados webpage or FB.