Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irish Whiskey

Irish Whiskey

We have a thread for Scotch and bourbon, I thought a thread for Irish Whiskey might be good.

It's my birthday and I bought myself a bottle of Redbreast 12 year old single pot still Irish Whiskey. This shit is delicious, so smooth, complex and deep.

Fuck you, you wanna fight?

Oh, sorry. I thought this was a differnt kind of Irish whiskey thread.
    I still call it The Jake.

Not a whiskey expert, but I find Irish whiskey is generally most enjoyable. I bought a bottle of Pogues recently, and while I'm sure it's nothing special, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Fuck you, you wanna fight?

Oh, sorry. I thought this was a differnt kind of Irish whiskey thread.
    If you wait an hour I might be down. My Scotch-Irish blood loves a good donnybrook.

Not an Irish whiskey fan but I have fond memories from years ago of sharing a nip of Tullamore Dew at the end of each meeting I had with a client called Ralph. He always scheduled our meetings for the end of a business day so we finish with a nip o' the Dew. Ralph left this world a few years ago at a ripe old age. I drank a half bottle of the Dew in his memory.

Big fan of Bushmills. Toured the distillery last fall, and drank a shitload of it. My preference is the Black Bush, aged in the Oloroso Sherry casks, but want to try the Red Bush...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I generally prefer scotch over bourbon and many of the irish whiskeys were on par with good bourbons, but the Bushmill's a family member brought back with her from Ireland is better than most of the scotch I've had.

Can we please discuss the pros and cons of the Catalics vs the filthy Protestants?
    I still call it The Jake.

One of my golfing buddies named his kid Jameson.

My buddy is a better drinker than player.

I reco Connemara for anyone who usually likes the stuff from Scotchland but is willing to go Irish.

In the cheaper drinkable stuff, Powers is a good alternative to Jameson and Bushmills. I've heard that 2 Gingers is fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    One of my golfing buddies named his kid Jameson.

My buddy is a better drinker than player.

Wow, that's almost black.

My favorite value Irish whiskey is Tyrconnell single malt. If you can find it, it may only be in the mid thirties. If you can find it. Real smooth.
    Had a few hours in the Dublin airport a few years back, and that distillery had a store, selling their older whiskers, one they cured in old port barrels. Boy, it was good, but, expensive, and impossible to find here. Bourdain did a show from Dublin about four or five years ago, and, since the food kinda sucked, all he did, surprise, surprise, was drink heavily. A few times they filmed him at bars with about fifty bottles of whiskey that I did not recognize at all. Must be a whole world of that stuff that doesn't make it to America.

Irish Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Big fan of Bushmills. Toured the distillery last fall, and drank a shitload of it. My preference is the Black Bush, aged in the Oloroso Sherry casks, but want to try the Red Bush...
    Yup. My standard in the cabinet as well. Although I have to travel to the city to get the black bush, they only stock regular bushmills in the local store. A bottle of 10yr usually is under the Xmas tree or for my b-day.

I do enjoy a bottle of writer's tears from time to time, a fair bit sweeter than bushmills, but in a far smoother way than jamesons

Never liked Scotch, but Irish whiskey was OK. Been a long time since I drank either.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Can we please discuss the pros and cons of the Catalics vs the filthy Protestants?
    I'll never forget the scene in the Wire and the retort McNulty gave the bartender at a banquet when only bushmills was offered.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I'll never forget the scene in the Wire and the retort McNulty gave the bartender at a banquet when only bushmills was offered.
    Yeah but the price is right.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Irish is always nice, easy to drink and at a price point that is reasonable. Black Bush and Jameson's are always good bets although there are lots of others that are as good and better they tend to be tough to find.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow, that's almost black.

My favorite value Irish whiskey is Tyrconnell single malt. If you can find it, it may only be in the mid thirties. If you can find it. Real smooth.
    Had a few hours in the Dublin airport a few years back, and that distillery had a store, selling their older whiskers, one they cured in old port barrels. Boy, it was good, but, expensive, and impossible to find here. Bourdain did a show from Dublin about four or five years ago, and, since the food kinda sucked, all he did, surprise, surprise, was drink heavily. A few times they filmed him at bars with about fifty bottles of whiskey that I did not recognize at all. Must be a whole world of that stuff that doesn't make it to America.
    This is all you need to know about Irish Whiskey. Red Breast is great, as are most of the others mentioned. But Tyrconnell is where it's at IMHO. It's a shame they only distribute one of their many offerings here in the States. For cheaper fair I prefer Paddy's to Jameson. But they only started selling it in the States a few years ago so it may not be as easy to find as Jameson in some places.

Somebody needs to page Woodsy to the courtesy phone, or search for the other Irish Whiskey/Scotch threads where we discussed this. He was always a font of knowledge on this subject, for a Raiders fan at least.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I'll have to chase down some Tyrconnell. The Red Breast is great but a bit spendy. Paddy's is good and stocked at a local store.

I got a bottle of the Caskmates Jameson, and goddamn if it isn't one of the smoothest drinking whiskey I've ever tried.

We only get a couple of irish whiskys from BCLDB but its way cheaper than scotch

a bottle of irish, a quart of cream and you got yer Irish & cream liqueur
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tyrconnell keeps on getting more expensive. Just saw a bottle at $44.

Strange, but, best source of good Irish whiskey I've seen is the small liquor store in the deli at the bottom of the Killington access road. Whoever runs that place has excellent taste. Last I looked, they had Tyrconnell, and four other Irish whiskeys I have never seen before. Also excellent bourbons and scotch.

I grabbed this when it came out and stuck it in my cabinet. It was a limited release. A Special occasion demanded a special drink last week so I cracked it. It was pretty spectacular- not worth what you would pay at an auction if you could find one now- but tasty and smooth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C53E9006-65B0-4011-AFB4-1B81CA99658D.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	394125
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C055481-818A-4E87-A6D7-383F93653027.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	394126

I've got several Irish whiskeys and my favorite is Redbreast 12 cask strength. It's like the 12yr with a kick of flavor. Red Breast Lustau is pretty good as well, but I much prefer the 12 yr. I no longer have Green Spot, but it was very good while it lasted. The cheapest Teeling is a little harsh for me, but the single grain is good. Bushmills 10 year is nice whiskey.