Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Work your ass off over the summer. Like, 6-7 days per week, 10+ hours a day. The people that I know that ski every day all winter, that's how they do it.
    this

construction worker. even laborers make pretty good money if they're getting hours in. hitting overtime on a Wednesday or Thursday.... sadly I'm not hourly

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    thankfully im not hourly and get paid piece work
    and if the pieces dont pay enough
    i don't fuckin work for u
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Instructor is the wrong answer.

I went that path in my mid-20s. I skied every day, but if I had the chance to do it again I'd go evening food service without hesitation.

Pick front or back of the house, dont show up baked. Do your job and do it well.

Ski every pow day from opening till early afternoon.

Plenty of day time on shitty snow days to do other life stuff.

As discussed, the other option is live cheap, work your ass off doing manual labor of some sort all summer, budget well, buy your pass, and pay bills with savings from Dec-April...

Maybe try a combo of both. Just set and stick to a budget.

Good luck, hope it works out!
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 05-09-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Buy a beater car and deliver pizzas. Delivery drivers make pretty good money and you're all alone in your car most of the night.

When I was a surf bum one summer this is what I did. Surfed everyday. Bonus, usually got out by 930 after the dinner rush and still had time to party.

Get a cheap Honda fit or something. Learn to fix it by watching YouTube.

If I could pull it off in Hawaii with a ridiculous cost of living then you should be able to make it happen in Utah.

Considering doing a summer job up at the hill to try and get a better winter position, but I feel that's still not a good option... have a different construction esque gig that would probably be a better setup for saving money

OP, you sound like you would make someone that depends on his business to feed his family a wonderful employee. To ski 7 days a week I would suggest

gigolo

adoption

ice cream man route- own the route
    Last edited by wooley12; 05-09-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    That would imply I'm gainfully employed now to get it
    You've got about a month to find a job and get fired at the end of 6. Get on it!

Swing or graveshift technician at semiconductor, biomed, manufacturing plant. Career job, good pay usually and ski every day! Need some skills though and the typical ski town doesnt have many options in those fields although slc, denver, pdx, seattle they are numerous
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

retirement
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

IME, I would agree but you have to work at something before you can retire from it. The OP seems to want a career that requires no or almost no work. I had a job like for ten years that paid very well. 35 wks/yr. Mostly 3 day weeks consisting of 10 actual working hours per week. Legal. No degree required. I don't think they allow grown up jobs like that anymore.

Coding. Telecommute. You good at math?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Coding. Telecommute. You good at math?
    I'm technically a statistics emphasis in my econ degree... and was going to pursue a stats degree but actually plan on doing grad school for that sometime in the future instead. Def. not afraid of math, actually trying to get in to data viz type stuff.

Most of my coding is stats related stuff

Have your dad front the money for a food cart at the Lagoon Amusement Park and sell waffles, bears ears or whatever it is that Mormons think of as junk food. I've already done some marketing research for you

"The food at most of the stands is standard amusement park fare. Nothing spectacular, but will taste pretty darn good after hours of walking around in the sun. "

You're welcome

You should sell blow in Aspen. Why settle for only powder days, when you can have powder nights too?

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Have your dad front the money for a food cart at the Lagoon Amusement Park and sell waffles, bears ears or whatever it is that Mormons think of as junk food. I've already done some marketing research for you

"The food at most of the stands is standard amusement park fare. Nothing spectacular, but will taste pretty darn good after hours of walking around in the sun. "

You're welcome
    I shall provide quality brats and beer. Not so much cause it sells, but because I like brats and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    You should sell blow in Aspen. Why settle for only powder days, when you can have powder nights too?
    Dude keep it on the dl alright, like fucks sake you don't build an empire by screaming to the heavens you're selling blow. But for real, I'm a purveyor of fine powder if ya'll catch my wind drift

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

You're welcome
    Genius

This and a coffee stand in the park and ride at the base of big cottonwood. Sell coffee till 9, get on bus and ski. Repeat.

You're welcome.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Genius
    Not my idea. I worked one summer in an amusement park in HS. I was the lazy ass employee manning the Skee Ball game at $1.25/hr while the college kid across the way was killing it selling crispy sugared waffles.

OP - Brats? Beer? Think cost of goods. $0.27 of flour, sugar over the counter for $2.75 and some of that in cash. "Lemon water with that? Gimme a dollar and thank me." The last college course I flunked was stats. Taught me a lot.

You can be my house cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBear View Post
    You can be my house cleaner.
    Do I have to wear a maid outfit? If it's not required, can I if I want to?

Yeah, while you tune up the Wags

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    I'm technically a statistics emphasis in my econ degree... and was going to pursue a stats degree but actually plan on doing grad school for that sometime in the future instead. Def. not afraid of math, actually trying to get in to data viz type stuff.

Most of my coding is stats related stuff
    Not bad. Not bad at all. Was thinking more like calculus and algorithms, but you might have a niche you can exploit for databasing and such.
    The only problem is that it takes good contacts to really exploit a niche. Your's isn't terribly esoteric, but to do it as an independent contractor, you need contacts in the biz.
    If you have them, go for it.
    Grad school is a good plan, actually. You can figure out a good schedule that let's you ski in between studying and TAing. For a STEM masters, you might pull 20 or 30 grand.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Genius

This and a coffee stand in the park and ride at the base of big cottonwood. Sell coffee till 9, get on bus and ski. Repeat.

You're welcome.
    This already exists, just 100 yards away in the Lifthouse parking lot. "Basecamp"

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    This already exists, just 100 yards away in the Lifthouse parking lot. "Basecamp"
    True... but what if there was a travelling one that I pull on a bike up past the line of cars parked in frustration as the canyons refuse to move.

Heed this advice grasshopper, and you might never miss a pow day again.

Buy a beater car and deliver pizzas. Delivery drivers make pretty good money and you're all alone in your car most of the night.

When I was a surf bum one summer this is what I did. Surfed everyday. Bonus, usually got out by 930 after the dinner rush and still had time to party.

Get a cheap Honda fit or something. Learn to fix it by watching YouTube.

If I could pull it off in Hawaii with a ridiculous cost of living then you should be able to make it happen in Utah.
    I have done this full time now for over a decade and it's not a bad compromise. I bet it's a pretty decent ski bum gig in Salt Lake. Do this and do as JayPowHound says... don't show up too baked, have some respect for the customers and the people you work for, just generally have some basic agency and be slightly more efficient and mindful than your average stoner.

Get your priorities in order, don't party too much, gamble, or chase high maintainance tail around and you can have it pretty good. You can still have some travel flexibility, you can still do summer fun things, you don't have to be on your feet with people in your face all night, you don't have to be there till 3 in the morning, and you can ski pow on any day of the week provided you don't do day shifts. Day shifts are the worst, don't get sucked into that, you are better off as a ski instructor.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra