Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Do people not realize that the money is somewhat traceable?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Do people not realize that the money is somewhat traceable?
    Depends on how you spend it

Spend some time learning to code simple website stuff. Pick up some freelance work building websites. You can do it whenever and wherever you like.

The tutoring this is good too. I worked at Alta and tutored at night for a couple years out of college (poli-sci and Econ myself)

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Spend some time learning to code simple website stuff. Pick up some freelance work building websites. You can do it whenever and wherever you like.

The tutoring this is good too. I worked at Alta and tutored at night for a couple years out of college (poli-sci and Econ myself)
    My first job in my life was making a new website for a ski shop in exchange for a set of skis. Retrospectively they got a hell of a deal out of it, but also I was like 15 sooo that was rad

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    My first job in my life was making a new website for a ski shop in exchange for a set of skis. Retrospectively they got a hell of a deal out of it, but also I was like 15 sooo that was rad
    Depends on how good the website was!

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Depends on how good the website was!
    It may or may not have looked like a fifteen year old made it...

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/201...esskisport.com

Looks pretty good
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Looks pretty good
    Yah I wish I kept up with the stuff, I really was decent at it for the age I was at the time

Their new site is arguably not any better

stop over thinking it. don't work.

Why don't people do the AK fisherman summer job anymore? Have the tides changed (hahaha) in that industry? So many pros used to do that job.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Why don't people do the AK fisherman summer job anymore? Have the tides changed (hahaha) in that industry? So many pros used to do that job.
    Probably watching that shit show deadliest catch.

Best job options for skiing 7 days a week

Oh yes this is basically the creation story for our esteemed chat room here. The jones guys were totally on the ak fishing program

I get seasick easily so never would have worked for me
    skid luxury

Has anybody mention pro skier?

Just become a pro skier.

Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Has anybody mention pro skier?

Just become a pro skier.

Problem solved.
    Fuck mate, how'd none of us think of that?

Got hit by a car tonight, should I sue them and use that to be my 7 day a week skiing payday? Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Got hit by a car tonight, should I sue them and use that to be my 7 day a week skiing payday? Hmmmmm
    perhaps- or at least a yr or two of skiing out of it
    but hoping there are no big injuries bc that'll compromise the skiing 7 days thing
    skid luxury

There are tons of jobs especially in a normal city that works on shifts. Have a buddy that works in a lab 2-10 and skis every am. I'm sure a FedEx warehouse would offer something similar.

At my age I'd rather have the schedule my fire medic brother in law has... three 13 shifts then done for the week. Four days to recreate to your hearts content then three to recover from the beatings to the body.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Yah I'm actually fine, and no way I'll be a prick accident was a 50/50 at fault type of thing so I've got no reason to be a dick to the dude

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    There are tons of jobs especially in a normal city that works on shifts. Have a buddy that works in a lab 2-10 and skis every am. I'm sure a FedEx warehouse would offer something similar.

At my age I'd rather have the schedule my fire medic brother in law has... three 13 shifts then done for the week. Four days to recreate to your hearts content then three to recover from the beatings to the body.
    Yup, Salt Lake is a great place to have a real job and still ski a lot. I work 4x10s 2pm-midnight and ski pretty much whenever the snow is decent. I also have PTO so I can take trips longer than just my weekend. Would work good for doing comps.

With that being said I think I agree with Dunfee, I'd take working 3x12s and just ski on my days off. I'm trying to convince my boss's boss to let me do it but she has something against people working 12s.

Alaska fishing jobs aren't nearly the big ticket payday they used to be thanks to the end of "derby" fishing. Old system for a lot of the species was that the season would open at noon on X day, and close when the fleet got close to catching the allowable total tonnage for the year. So if you caught a bunch of fish quick, you could be first to the dock, set the market, and box out everyone who was fishing slowly. It encouraged taking crazy risks - fishing storms and the like - to be the first back into port, but it meant huge paydays if your boat hit it big.

Now, boats are allocated "quotas" of how much fish they can catch in a season, and they have all season to fill their quota. Bigger boats are buying up quotas from smaller fisherman, so you have fewer jobs, and it's more of a long grind for a wage rather than a potential lottery ticket for a $20k payday in a week or two of work.

That and thanks to Deadliest Catch, they have a ton of people trying to make it as Alaskan fishermen.

I like tuning a lot. Start around 3:30 done by 9ish most nights, free beer and weed.

Plus your skis are always dialed.

Work hard over the summer in a seasonal job (construction, something like that), save money, get a seasonal lay-off, collect unemployment, ski, repeat. A friend of mine (carpenter) did that for a long time then retired at 50 with full union pension (claimed disability?) and now bumps chairs at Schweitzer in the winter and plays all summer. He rides a LOT and takes time off to head for Snowbird for a week or two during the season, too.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    buy me a silver pass next season and i'll give you my ultimate 4 hours a week snow reporter ski bum gig
    like stucky says
    aint nobody walkin off the street into a good bartending gig without payin dues or knowin or blowin somebody
    pretty much any good ski bum jobs gots a bunch of dudes whove been doin it for a while and the only thing you have is the ability to be paid less because lack of experience
    make a plan and start dues payin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    buy me a silver pass next season and i'll give you my ultimate 4 hours a week snow reporter ski bum gig
    like stucky says
    aint nobody walkin off the street into a good bartending gig without payin dues or knowin or blowin somebody
    pretty much any good ski bum jobs gots a bunch of dudes whove been doin it for a while and the only thing you have is the ability to be paid less because lack of experience
    make a plan and start dues payin