Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    prices go up end of the month. Buy your ticket(s) TODAY

cuz I did

LeeLau to the Montana courtesy phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    LeeLau to the Montana courtesy phone.
    Can't. Off to Norway

This shindig still a go? I hope so!

Yeah it's still on. Hopefully a LOT more people register for it though or it might not come back next year.

We are moving the 2020 LT Bike Fest up on the calendar
    The 2020 LT Bike Fest will be July 17 - 19

http://www.ltbikefest.com/index.html

My advice: go a day early and ride Divide to Twin Creek. You will need a shuttle, but this is a really cool old-school trail in a completely untouched canyon. It is significantly better than any of the descents on the MT side. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/twin-creek-14412/

Stats check out:

Climb: 2,083 ft
    Climb Dist: 4 miles
    Descent: 4,732 ft
    Descent Dist: 8 miles
    Flat Dist: 4 miles

My advice: go a day early and ride Divide to Twin Creek. You will need a shuttle, but this is a really cool old-school trail in a completely untouched canyon. It is significantly better than any of the descents on the MT side. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/twin-creek-14412/
    Nice. I've been meaning to do that one for years and have never gotten around to it. Might have to make an effort for that this year, especially since Canadian road trips are kinda unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Edit: any word on how trails down that way are looking this spring? Up in the Flathead, it's complete mayhem. A warm winter with a shallow freeze and a couple very windy storms have knocked down a ton of trees. Lots of root ball rip outs that have torn up the trail tread. Some of the more backcountry-ish trails are a warzone - full on pick-up sticks conditions that'll take many, many hours with saws to clear. If it's that way down around lost trail, I imagine some of those alternate routes might not get cleared for a while.

I haven't heard, but mainly I think it is way too early for anyone to know how the higher elevation stuff fared.

"Due to the COVID pandemic, we have relunctantly cancelled the 2020 Lost Trail Bike Fest.
    However, we are still clearing trails, so if you are in the neighborhood, please stop by and ride. "

http://www.ltbikefest.com/

Always wanted to hit this. Onea these years.......

When: July 17-18, 2021
    We are planning on hosting another round of Lost Trail Bike Fest for 2021. This year we decided to move it earlier in the summer, into mid-July, with longer days and hopefully lower wildfire smoke risks. This year there will be no registration fee for Lost Trail Bike Fest. We will be hosting a more low-key hangout event. Unfortunately, we had issues getting shuttles for this year so we will not have official shuttle vans. Bitterroot Backcountry Cyclists will be helping out to set up shuttles to the Lost Trail Ski Area parking lot on Saturday from the usual spot at Medicine Hotsprings Road, but please be prepared to coordinate with friends to shuttle. Friday night we will have a sign up sheet out to help us plan out group rides and shuttles. We will have all of the usual trails cleared for the event. Bring your own beverages and food to BBQ. We will still have outdoor gatherings on both nights, just no live music on Saturday. We will have an outdoor movie on Friday night (weather dependent), and a bonfire on Saturday (depending on fire restrictions). Sunday we are planning to have a few different ride options with shuttles on other trails depending on interest for the ride. The trails for this ride are still TBD based on clearing but will likely include sections of the continental divide trail starting at Chief Joseph pass and finishing on Elk Creek trail and another section of the CDT trail starting at Anderson Meadows and ending via Three mile ridge at Nez Pierce. We will know more about which trails are cleared as the summer goes on.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Thank you BBC
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Anderson to 3 mile is a great ride, ripping steep 3500' downhill to finish.

Ditch Creek on the ID side is also insanely good. A rocky, rooty masterpiece of a trail. So many fun techy moves. Don't think it gets cleared till way in July yet though.

I haven't heard, but mainly I think it is way too early for anyone to know how the higher elevation stuff fared.
    Sheep mountain loop was a disaster. Combined with a really small crew showing up to clear this year made it especially tough. The regular loop is cleared but 1513 is going to take a Herculean effort from a couple really experienced sawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Sheep mountain loop was a disaster. Combined with a really small crew showing up to clear this year made it especially tough. The regular loop is cleared but 1513 is going to take a Herculean effort from a couple really experienced sawyers.
    Forest service needs to grant an ebike exception for the saw crews. Those things make trail work in inconvenient locations soooo much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Forest service needs to grant an ebike exception for the saw crews. Those things make trail work in inconvenient locations soooo much easier.
    15 hours with a saw on my back in the last 3 days has me agreeing with you. Those e-fatbikes with a saw holder look sooo nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    15 hours with a saw on my back in the last 3 days has me agreeing with you. Those e-fatbikes with a saw holder look sooo nice.
    That's brutal. Thanks for putting in the work though!

At least if it's just 1513 that needs clearing, the crew can just drive up there on twin creek.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    We’ve had that conversation. The ranger’s reason not to grant a variance for saw work was that we can still access the locations safely under the existing travel management. Efficiency wasn’t a consideration. It does reduce the amount of trails we can agree to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    We’ve had that conversation. The ranger’s reason not to grant a variance for saw work was that we can still access the locations safely under the existing travel management. Efficiency wasn’t a consideration. It does reduce the amount of trails we can agree to maintain.
    Yeah, we've had similar conversations. I think it's dumb. Especially when broader allowances for ebikes on non motorized trails are on the horizon.

Region 1 forest service is still planted pretty firmly in the 70's era mindset.

This sounds pretty fun, think I might try to make it this year.

Anyone else going? I'll probably head up Thursday after work, down to ride Friday if anyone is around.

Lost Trail (MT/ID) shuttle fest 2017

Hell of a weekend! Highly recommend making this next year if you can. Pretty small turnout this year but it made it fun because you got to know everyone and we all rode together. Around 15 people showed up. My favorite trail of the weekend was Trail Creek Ridge. I thought Trail Creek itself was pretty fun too but it hasn't been cleared yet so I didn't get the full experience, probably 20 - 30 down trees on it. Seems like there is a ton of potential in this area for big backcountry rides and it doesn't seem like it sees too much traffic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5359.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	379882

Name:	IMG_5367.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	379883

Name:	IMG_5377.JPG