HVAC Mags- what is reasonable?

Greetings all, I'm closing on my first house in a few weeks and am looking to put in a heat pump system. The house is a ranch, ~2000 or so square feet, with maybe 1700 or so on the main floor that I'd want to air condition/have supplemental heat for in the winter.

I brought in a HVAC guy, referred by a friend, to spec it out. He suggested that ceiling vents were the way to go, as the attic is empty and easy to access, as opposed to in-wall mini-splits. He proposed installing these:

One (1) Rheem 4.0-ton heat pump condenser, 14 SEER, 410-A
    One (1) Rheem air handler, 16 SEER, 410-A
    Freon line sets, 410-A
    +duct work, labor, etc.

Anyone have any experience with approximately, total ballpark, what this should run me? He's sent me an estimate that seems grossly high. New to the whole contracting/homeowner thing so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Fuck it's north of 15 grand I bet. Depends how much sheet metal, if it's a lot it'll be more. Think twice about the heat pump, it'll work but cost you a fortune when it goes to resistance heating, have him spec out a good condensing gas boiler and an ac too, you'll be a lot more comfortable in the winter and gas is cheap (is there gas?)

Iceman on the ready again, you are on top of shit! Yes, estimate was for $17k. Reason for not doing AC was that the ductwork for the existing burner was below ground and there was concern that this would lead to condensation, if I'm remembering properly. The other option is in-wall units in each room (4x probably) with an outside condenser.

Very helpful, thanks...

Well you'd run the ac and the heat through the new ductwork both.

PM me, DS. I know many good contractors in the area. You should always get three bids, so I can send you some names.

I'm not keen on heat pumps, either. Not all that efficient and as Iceman says, gas is cheap.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Thanks to you both. More proof that this place is fucking awesome.

Heat pumps suck below 30 or so. We've got a hybrid system, heat pump runs down to 30, then the gas furnace takes over. Cheapest operating cost for our location, but we get really cheap electricity from all the coal-fired power plants.

Bought a house in Virginia with a heat pump, ended up with a gas furnace. Unless you live way south, heat pump no es bueno in winter