Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst car

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Among current models there are less genuinely shitty cars. The Fiat 500 L is among them.
    God, what a steaming pile of crap. The seats are horrendous, it handles like shit, the engine is weak and noisy, the manual gearbox sucks, the suspension is stiff on bumpy roads and wallows on every turn. Oh, and the radio blows.
    I’ve rented one for a few days, it was miserable. And I’m the kind of driver that can find some positive in an Opel Astra.
    It’s kind of cute, though.
    /Euro edition.

Well, it stays true to the original.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I must have replied to this thread previously, but just in case I'll add the biggest POS I ever drove - I give you the 1978 Datsun F10 fully outfitted with banana yellow paint and faux wood shelf liner paneling. I drove it for about a year in HS before it died.

Name:  84a43a2b18fd3d83c310defe356f6485.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  49.6 KB
    stock photo

^The 70's were the worst decade for cars. I have a standing argument with a friend of mine who collects primarily 60s and some early 70's muscle cars. My stance is that the worst car today is infinitely better than the best car in his collection from the 60's and 70's as far as handling and other comforts. All those old cars drive like shit. Forget America for a second and take a 60's Jag or a 60's Porsche. Other than the fact that they look cool, they drive and handle like shit compared to a 2020 Sentra.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^The 70's were the worst decade for cars. I have a standing argument with a friend of mine who collects primarily 60s and some early 70's muscle cars. My stance is that the worst car today is infinitely better than the best car in his collection from the 60's and 70's as far as handling and other comforts. All those old cars drive like shit. Forget America for a second and take a 60's Jag or a 60's Porsche. Other than the fact that they look cool, they drive and handle like shit compared to a 2020 Sentra.
    1000 %true. I listened to a podcast with Glenn Plake and he talked about how any current Hyundai really drives better than most 25+ year old " collector cars" no matter how much you spend on it.

The early 80s Camaro with the sub 100hp 4cyl engine was pretty much the worst
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Is that a euphemism? If so, impressive.
    It got wild that weekend, but I'm not sure it got that wild. I'd have to be drinking water nonstop just to stay alive.

I saw Jay Leno and Tim Allen do a whole show on this premise.

There are a few exceptions, but probably not more than that. I think old 914s and longnose 911s actually handle well for their time and offer a great driver's experience, but they run slower than frozen molasses being pushed through a screen door.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    The early 80s Camaro with the sub 100hp 4cyl engine was pretty much the worst
    Bitchin' Camaro.
    I still call it The Jake.

False. I was driving my 25 year old bmw 540 to sun valley this spring, and someone in a Hyundai suv who was moving along at a decent clip around 90-95 was annoyed that I passed him in the slow lane after he refused to move over, so he tried to keep up at the 105-110 pace I was making. He lasted about 5 minutes. Guarantee my 25 year old $2000 beater of a german sedan handles better and has more power. And with sport seats, is more comfortable to boot. 90s cars are now the 20-30 year old cars, and it was the golden age for so many brands.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    False. I was driving my 25 year old bmw 540 to sun valley this spring, and someone in a Hyundai suv who was moving along at a decent clip around 90-95 was annoyed that I passed him in the slow lane after he refused to move over, so he tried to keep up at the 105-110 pace I was making. He lasted about 5 minutes. Guarantee my 25 year old $2000 beater of a german sedan handles better and has more power. And with sport seats, is more comfortable to boot. 90s cars are now the 20-30 year old cars, and it was the golden age for so many brands.

sent from Utah.

As a counterpoint, my late 90s BMW would likely actually burst into flames if I drove it 110 mph. It is a 3 rather than 5 series (and a budget one at that), but it's woefully underpowered and apparently geared for highway cruising at 55-60, so it's revving by the time you hit 80. What it's awesome for though is how direct it feels to drive. It's light, a stickshift, handles very directly, and revs quickly. I think those are some of the things that are actually better in 90s cars than in subsequent generations if you enjoy driving.

Still, when most people are talking about "classic" cars, they aren't talking about mid-late 90s stuff.

I miss my 90 M3 but more sentimentally than from a performance standpoint. A 2020 hot hatch will run rings around it today.

90 M3 0-60 7 secs, 14.9@93
    20 GTI 0-60 5.9 secs 14.3@100

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    As a counterpoint, my late 90s BMW would likely actually burst into flames if I drove it 110 mph. It is a 3 rather than 5 series (and a budget one at that), but it's woefully underpowered and apparently geared for highway cruising at 55-60, so it's revving by the time you hit 80. What it's awesome for though is how direct it feels to drive. It's light, a stickshift, handles very directly, and revs quickly. I think those are some of the things that are actually better in 90s cars than in subsequent generations if you enjoy driving.

Still, when most people are talking about "classic" cars, they aren't talking about mid-late 90s stuff.
    Exactly. Not to mention cars of that era still had the orange 55 speedometer since most if not all speed limits were 55mph. Older cars suck plain and simple. All you core drivers convincing yourself otherwise are like the sad old guy at a bar talking to hot young chicks about how vinyl sounds better.
    I’d bet a 2020 Toyota Highlander would accelerate, brake and maneuver better than a 70’s 80’s or 90’s “sports car” it almost comical how bad those cars were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define 'better.' Usability/maintenance/safety/reliability/longevity, for sure. Character/fun factor, not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Exactly. Not to mention cars of that era still had the orange 55 speedometer since most if not all speed limits were 55mph. Older cars suck plain and simple. All you core drivers convincing yourself otherwise are like the sad old guy at a bar talking to hot young chicks about how vinyl sounds better.
    I’d bet a 2020 Toyota Highlander would accelerate, brake and maneuver better than a 70’s 80’s or 90’s “sports car” it almost comical how bad those cars were.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving that car. It's much more engaging than my newer cars. It just has some notable absolute deficiencies.

They started getting good in the 90s IMO. I love 90s and 2000s cars. New cars are safer but also heavier and don’t have that mechanical or analog feel. NSX, E36 M3 (especially Euro version), and Vettes started getting very fast in the late 90s, with great handling.

I'll give Basinbeater this though. There's a crossover point somewhere in the 90's where a high end car passes a low end more modern one--especially an SUV. I think the late 90- early 00s are the sweet spot for this right now from a price/performance standpoint. You can buy a lot of performance for 10K in this era.

I admire people who keep an older car on the road though as I know how much resourcefulness that takes. But every time I get sucked into thinking about buying one after looking at BaT, I have to remind myself that I just don't have the time or energy for it.

This is sheer lunacy...
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-m3-45/

BMW and Mercedes have gotten more like everything else. Everything else has gotten better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Maybe I wouldnt hate on nissans so much if you'd actually showed up to play golf that day, maybe things would have been different.... who knows!
    I woulda been like hey my man is cool, he drives a nissan - ok I'll reconsider....

but noooo
    Dude.....I had car trouble.

Right, everything else has gotten better. Bmw definitely has gotten wrose. We had an 06 530xi and a 11 328i x drive, and both were pieces of shit compared to the old e34 540. Complicated things going wrong with them constantly, basic things like leaky oil pans (major pita with the awd system) etc... Just poorly made. Yes they drove well, but the front suspension on the e60 is essentially the same as on the e34.
    For driving around town, the little e30 convertible is a joy. Fun and engaging, and at the speed limit. Every e30 and e34 I have owned have been very reliable after a basic baseline and catch-up on preventative maintenance. Every post 2000 bmw I have owned, (4 of em I think) has been significantly more problematic. Plus the new ones look like fucking ass.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I am amazed this thread is 14 pages deep and the Taurus SHO has not been mentioned
    Name:  65975831-770-0@2X.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  80.5 KB

A great freeway car - when it ran. Thing spent so much time in the shop the cylinders holding up the hood had to be replaced. Burned oil with only 50k on the clock. Leaked when it rained. The electrical system must have been from Lucas (Prince of Darkness).

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I drive a big three diesel truck as well. No shame in it as long as you keep your political views off your bumper.
    Agreed. Unless the TGR motto is political?

Nah...

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Troopers where cheap, large and slow - kind of like my date last weekend
    lulz, I had one in college... The car. Actually, both now that I think about it. But I digress.

For my first car while in school in Bozeman; it was sweet. The second day I had it, I drove it Big Sky with a buddy, who'd been driving us for the previous two years and proceeded to break my femur and three places. I didn't even get a chance to drive it home.

It was decent until both transmission and transfer case lunched themselves in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    No shame as long as it’s not lifted and doesn’t have shitty aftermarket tires and wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No lift, but I refused to drive the truck with the gross-ass 20" chrome wheels that came on it from the factory. I slapped a low-key (not black!) 18" wheel on it and shod them with BFG KO2, the unofficial truck tire of TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I am amazed this thread is 14 pages deep and the Taurus SHO has not been mentioned
    Name:  65975831-770-0@2X.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  80.5 KB

A great freeway car - when it ran. Thing spent so much time in the shop the cylinders holding up the hood had to be replaced. Burned oil with only 50k on the clock. Leaked when it rained. The electrical system must have been from Lucas (Prince of Darkness).
    Yup, my dad had a silver one. It ripped - a total sleeper. It didn't last long at our house for the same reasons you listed.

I saw this on our local FB yard sales pg and the description of the baja made me laugh
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1535.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	572.7 KB 
ID:	340481
    skid luxury

I'll give Basinbeater this though. There's a crossover point somewhere in the 90's where a high end car passes a low end more modern one--especially an SUV. I think the late 90- early 00s are the sweet spot for this right now from a price/performance standpoint. You can buy a lot of performance for 10K in this era.

I admire people who keep an older car on the road though as I know how much resourcefulness that takes. But every time I get sucked into thinking about buying one after looking at BaT, I have to remind myself that I just don't have the time or energy for it.

This is sheer lunacy...
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-m3-45/
    Dear lord that’s insane. (The listing)

Agreed on all points above, and Maz’s point that better is not the same across all measurements.

That sweet spot of 90s SUVs that rock, are indestructible, yet dogs on the highway: my beloved Assfinder and 80s Series Cruisers.

High end performance from late 90s-early aughts that still is a blast to drive and hangs, but retains that analog feel: the 996, S2000 and Miata are front of mind.

I know that guy. He only buys the best of the best. Nice guy.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    1000 %true. I listened to a podcast with Glenn Plake and he talked about how any current Hyundai really drives better than most 25+ year old " collector cars" no matter how much you spend on it.
    He’s right. I bought an Elantra for a third car when my kid got his license. I paid about 16k for a brand new car and it drives awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I know that guy. He only buys the best of the best. Nice guy.

sent from Utah.
    He has wonderful taste according to his bid history. And the vanity plate is pretty good.

But “ohiolion” as his handle? Curious if he’s a North Coaster.