Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I really noticed the difference when I got back on the Pivot and it just felt kind of dead. It did seem to hold a line better, but for me, that kind of made it a bit boring.
    I have a couple of phenomenal top end Knolly bikes right now and I am noticeably faster on them, Strava proves it , but I prefer riding the 27.5+ hardtail. It feels livelier and challenges me more often in a variety of ways, it's not as fast up or down and like all ht's line choice is critical but, it's more fun in a masochistic kind of way.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 06-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    why don't you just go faster?

OR hit those lines with one hand behind your back
    I'm guessing you are joking, but I think it is a pretty fair point. I'm not a Strava user, but I hear that people post faster Strava times with bigger wheels.

The trail we were on was a jump trail, it has an upper speed limit (unless you want to overshoot your landings). I'm sure a stronger rider than me to hit the trail much faster than me (regardless of wheel size), but I ride it at the speed I know it will be fun.

I'm not going to criticize the way anyone else has fun, if posting faster and faster times on Strava is your thing, go get it. That is great, nothing wrong with measured, quantifiable improvement. For me, a good ride is more personal and less quantifiable. Was it fun and challenging to me?

I had a lot of fun on the 26" wheeled Mojo. I felt like I rode manuals longer, I felt like I could whip harder in the air. Can I prove that at all? No, but it sure was fun.
    Thanks Shane

Pretty much joking on the one hand but the other hand go faster if it's too easy, or shorter travel forks, bmx wheels the possibilities are endless!

I don't Strava
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I'm guessing you are joking, but I think it is a pretty fair point. I'm not a Strava user, but I hear that people post faster Strava times with bigger wheels.

The trail we were on was a jump trail, it has an upper speed limit (unless you want to overshoot your landings). I'm sure a stronger rider than me to hit the trail much faster than me (regardless of wheel size), but I ride it at the speed I know it will be fun.

I'm not going to criticize the way anyone else has fun, if posting faster and faster times on Strava is your thing, go get it. That is great, nothing wrong with measured, quantifiable improvement. For me, a good ride is more personal and less quantifiable. Was it fun and challenging to me?

I had a lot of fun on the 26" wheeled Mojo. I felt like I rode manuals longer, I felt like I could whip harder in the air. Can I prove that at all? No, but it sure was fun.
    I have noticed the wc racers on their 29ers get thrown forward on their front wheel off more than a few jumps. Possibly what happened to Remi. Most times they ride it out but definitely doesn't look as fun although their time could be faster. I suppose the same applies to 27.5 vs 26. Worth considering keeping 26" wheels for jump trails. Took me a bit to get used to the 27.5's but I don't notice it be too bad most places now. I tend to agree with your being able to play around more with the 26" and quicker transitions from corner to corner or berm to berm as well.I do like how the 27.5 carries speed, doesn't get hung up through the rough and roots, and the traction. For me the 27.5 is the happy medium. I can't handle the slower speed going for a xc pedal on 26" after being on my 27.5's for a while now but I'll miss the 26" a bit in the park now. I could probably use all three on occasion 26",27.5 and a 9er

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I have noticed the wc racers on their 29ers get thrown forward on their front wheel off more than a few jumps. Possibly what happened to Remi. Most times they ride it out but definitely doesn't look as fun although their time could be faster. I suppose the same applies to 27.5 vs 26. Worth considering keeping 26" wheels for jump trails. Took me a bit to get used to the 27.5's but I don't notice it be too bad most places now. I tend to agree with your being able to play around more with the 26" and quicker transitions from corner to corner or berm to berm as well.I do like how the 27.5 carries speed, doesn't get hung up through the rough and roots, and the traction. For me the 27.5 is the happy medium. I can't handle the slower speed going for a xc pedal on 26" after being on my 27.5's for a while now but I'll miss the 26" a bit in the park now. I could probably use all three on occasion 26",27.5 and a 9er
    Smaller the wheel size, the more readily it'll fall over side to side in turns. That floppy feeling in tight berms, and the ability to fling the bike around in the air more easily, is what I miss about 27.5" riding a 29er. They've done incredible things to make short travel 29'ers outrageously fun and I can boost my Following off any little root bump like I'm on a BMX bike, but not much you can do about the higher center of gravity of the wheels and their increased want to spin in a straight line. Feel like I can do all the same riding, including jump trails, but you can't style it out quite as much. Still though, for rolling on one bike, I feel like you can't beat the big wheels. Only once have I ever been chucked over the bars getting caught in a hole, and that confidence is nice.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Smaller the wheel size, the more readily it'll fall over side to side in turns. That floppy feeling in tight berms, and the ability to fling the bike around in the air more easily, is what I miss about 27.5" riding a 29er. They've done incredible things to make short travel 29'ers outrageously fun and I can boost my Following off any little root bump like I'm on a BMX bike, but not much you can do about the higher center of gravity of the wheels and their increased want to spin in a straight line. Feel like I can do all the same riding, including jump trails, but you can't style it out quite as much. Still though, for rolling on one bike, I feel like you can't beat the big wheels. Only once have I ever been chucked over the bars getting caught in a hole, and that confidence is nice.
    I don't believe your center of gravity is any higher on a 29" wheeled bike. A 13" high BB is 13", regardless of wheel size. 29ers do have increased BB drop, however. That's part of what gives them that "between the wheels" stable feeling. Less BB drop, like found on 27.5" and especially 26" bikes makes them easier to pick up the front wheel but may offer less stability at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I don't believe your center of gravity is any higher on a 29" wheeled bike. A 13" high BB is 13", regardless of wheel size. 29ers do have increased BB drop, however. That's part of what gives them that "between the wheels" stable feeling. Less BB drop, like found on 27.5" and especially 26" bikes makes them easier to pick up the front wheel but may offer less stability at speed.
    Thinking more that the wheels have a higher C of G, and thus that contributes to them not wanting to fall over as easily.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

I think this has something to do with gyroscopic effect as well...
    Gravity always wins...

I called it - 27.5" is going to DIE.

Recent Damian spotting at an event...

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Ya following looks like a sweet ride. Doesn't seem to effect Strobel. The longer travel dh 9ers probably accentuate that feeling. A little more movement to get around the bigger wheels combined with more travel to account for has to have an effect. Another 9er I keep going back to is the Canfield. I think that's one that'll fit me. New ones take the plus wheels too. Torn between that and a scout. I have a fork for the scout already though . All things subject to change though. Especially when it involves bikes

Ya following looks like a sweet ride. Doesn't seem to effect Strobel. The longer travel dh 9ers probably accentuate that feeling. A little more movement to get around the bigger wheels combined with more travel to account for has to have an effect. Another 9er I keep going back to is the Canfield. I think that's one that'll fit me. New ones take the plus wheels too. Torn between that and a scout. I have a fork for the scout already though . All things subject to change though. Especially when it involves bikes
    Yeah it's still the closer 9'er I've ridden to riding a 27.5" bike. Curious what the YT Jeffsy is like, too. FWIW, I rode the Canfield last summer (it was the Riot, now different name?) and it felt fairly tall and not super playful side to side, but an absolute mauler in a straight line. Incredibly supple back end, that Canfield shock is pretty amazing, and even with an Ikon on as a rear tire, you could bomb shit blind with total confidence. Pretty different from the Scout though (from what I understand, having only ridden its Santa Cruz cousin, the 5010), which is even more playful than the Following. I'm personally more inclined to get a shorter travel bike that rides more playful but not sure what you ride and what you're into.

This was our Canfield test write-up from last summer: https://www.tetongravity.com/story/s...able-riot-29er

Yeah it's still the closer 9'er I've ridden to riding a 27.5" bike. Curious what the YT Jeffsy is like, too. FWIW, I rode the Canfield last summer (it was the Riot, now different name?) and it felt fairly tall and not super playful side to side, but an absolute mauler in a straight line. Incredibly supple back end, that Canfield shock is pretty amazing, and even with an Ikon on as a rear tire, you could bomb shit blind with total confidence. Pretty different from the Scout though (from what I understand, having only ridden its Santa Cruz cousin, the 5010), which is even more playful than the Following. I'm personally more inclined to get a shorter travel bike that rides more playful but not sure what you ride and what you're into.

This was our Canfield test write-up from last summer: https://www.tetongravity.com/story/s...able-riot-29er
    Thanks. Don't know how I missed that review. Sounds like it'd be really good for around here. I was looking at the 5010 as well. Nice bikes. I like where they've gone recently with the numbers. Little pricey though even comparing aluminum 5010 to scout aluminum. Also the integrated headset limits what I want. -1 degree works component headset with my dvo diamond set at 150 should put me at 65.6 ish. Over 66 at 150 on a 5010. Like to have it somewhere under 66 and I prefer transition as a company. I think probably similar to deal with Canfield so still considering them. 150 on the riot has it at 66 so good for a 9er and I prefer high front ends but that's good to know. I have a month ish to decide. Canfield has last years on sale too. That could make up for the difference in selling my 27.5 dvo and getting a 29 dvo

Yeah it's still the closer 9'er I've ridden to riding a 27.5" bike. Curious what the YT Jeffsy is like, too.
    Jeffsy is a fun bike, but definitely not as whippy as the following. Still relatively poppy, but not quite as easy to throw through corners. Overall, just feels like a bigger bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Jeffsy is a fun bike, but definitely not as whippy as the following. Still relatively poppy, but not quite as easy to throw through corners. Overall, just feels like a bigger bike.

Any idea what's currently up with yt? How are this guys doing stateside? I know the issue in the past has been expected delivery dates being pushed back because they're waiting for parts or something. Sometimes it was quite a while. Same with some warrantee issues. Maybe that's changed with Zink maning the fort. We just got Canadian distribution/sales out of Squamish. When a buddy was asking, I recommended going another direction, for those issues I mentioned, and that it's their first year set up in Canada. We often get overlooked for support up here because of our small market. He hasn't paid anything but turns out he is waiting to get a Capra because they're apparently waiting on shocks. Sounds like same old same old. Who doesn't have their 17 bikes ready for sale at this point? I got him a great price on a 17 carbon devinci spartAn slx/xt for roughly the same price but he didn't like the extra 1.5lbs. Devinci has a redesign(longer/slacker) on the spartAn being released at crankworx so there's good deals on 17 spartAn stock

Yt just doesn't get enough stock sent to north america. Just hope they have the bike you want when you're ready to buy. It seems like they're coming more than once or twice a year now at least.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So no doubt less stock up here. Then if there's an issue probably SOL for a while. Wondering if that was the case down there. 5g cad for carbon spartAn ftw

So no doubt less stock up here. Then if there's an issue probably SOL for a while. Wondering if that was the case down there. 5g cad for carbon spartAn ftw
    I'm not so sure that's the case. Every company, since they outsource their frames now gets overstock specifically for warranty. I heard some grumblings the first year they were doing US distribution but I think they figured out their program. They're down the road from here so those bikes are everywhere in this area. They seem to have their warranty system pretty dialed now. If they don't have something, they can get it shipped from yurp right quick.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Ok good to know. I'm sure he'll like it. Good fit I think

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Good to know. Further evidence im riding the bike I should be

Adding the price difference in I'd definitely go with the Scout. Always looked like a really fun bike and some guys in Jackson were building those pretty burly and riding bike parks.

Try to ride them if you can. Personally, I'd take a Scout over a 5010, and came really close to ordering one. The fit on the 5010 felt right for me, and with Backcountry and patience, you can get a really good deal, but that and the Bronson still had that VPP wallow(?) that I personally am not a fan of. Good reason to ride one, just to see. The Scout I rode was a medium, so a bit on the small side, but I loved the way it rode. Really fun bike.

I agree with Dunfee about leaning a 29er. The effect of the bigger wheels is there. It just comes down to preferences and priorities.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Recent Damian spotting at an event...

The guy holding that sign wearing that shirt is the picture of irony.
    Gravity Junkie

I called it - 27.5" is going to DIE.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    VPP wallow(?)
    You talking about the current model 5010?
    Total thread drift but the VPP wallow goes away with a high volume air can shock like the DPS EVOL and Monarch Plus, then setting a proper sag. Also the new linkage design from the Nomad 3 helps a bunch.

I feel you on the wheel gyro effect though. I'm torn between a 27.5 vs 29 hardtail for my next ride.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

DS wants LG to grab him by the pussy/fakt

27.5 is the new standard and it's going to stick around for a while imho. Sanders is touching himself with this thread title.
    dirtbag, not a dentist