Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    ...IF YOU MEET SARTANA, PRAY FOR DEATH

While owing an obvious debt to both A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More, this, the first in a 5-film series, has enough of it's own style and charm to recommend it.
    The character of Sartana comes across like a mash-up of Dracula and Eastwood's man-with-no-name. The film's plot is somewhat similar to Fistfull, but ends up being a bit more convoluted. Teeming with gritty, earth tone saturation and plenty of interesting camera angles, not to mention a highly charismatic leading man in the form of Gianni Garko, this is a rousingly entertaining post-Leone spaghetti western.
    Oh yeah, the body count easily rivals vintage '80s Arnie films.

*there are two versions on Prime. I recommend watching the Italian version (you will have to manually turn on the subtitles) as it is the better version in terms of crisp picture quality.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

AMERICAN YAKUZA
    Damn, Viggo Mortensen missed his calling as a late '80s/early '90s action star.
    Dunno how I missed this one, but most likely because it went straight to video in 1995...
    Alternately awesome and cheesy with some decent gunkata and some seriously rich dialogue.

RIYL
    Code Of Silence; Raw Deal; Above The Law

Just heard about this series.
    Starts streaming 4/3.

I think another season of Bosch is starting in April too. Looking fwd to it but it’s a little bitter sweet because I know i will burn through it and they are almost done w the series.

April 17th for Bosch.

Who Killed Garrett Phillips? is worth a watch if you like true-crime docs. I have a feeling there will be a second series someday.

good stuff, a darker international narcos.

^That looks good.

Prime keeps freezing up my Roku. Have to watch on laptop. I prefer tv.

cdlv -hope you're hanging in there down there, mang.

staying quarantined, been sick the last 3 weeks(but on the mend), pretty sure i got the corona but finding someone to give me a test is next to impossible. stay safe up north splat.

Short film, full of dry humor.

finally got through goliath season 2. Jesus Christ what an awful bloody mess. Can't get the ending out of my head and so NOT worth it.

Stick to the first season only, you'll be a lot happier.
    "Can't you see..."

Yeah that shit was all sorts of levels of no-good, fucked up, disturbing nonsense. Would not watch again. Do not recommend. In retrospect, should have pulled the plug after the boiling water to the face part.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Short film, full of dry humor.

Watched it last night- pretty funny in a f’ed up sort of way. It kind of gives you the impression they filmed it in about a week, and very droll

VelociPastor. Yes, that's right, VelociPastor. Christian holy man watches his parents die ("Hi Mom and Dad", they're standing next to car, he reacts to explosion, plain street scene with text overlay "VFX: car on fire", guy screams "Nooooooooo!"). He goes to China, where all sorts of strange things evolve apparently, comes back with dinosaur powers, fights evil.

This flick is partly a big goof, but also with some earnest stuff, like a love scene montage that aims hard for arty and ends up being at least amusing. It's really thoroughly bad, but there's quite a bit of laugh-out-loud in this movie, so I'm going to sort of recommend it, for those who know what they're in for and are into this sort of thing.

Edit: I found the "car explosion" scene! Gotta love the hammy acting here...
    Last edited by bobz; 03-31-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Reptilian delicacies at the Wuhan wet market??

Too Wascist?????

Swift, Silent, Deep, a docu about the Jackson Hole "Air Force", and somewhat of a history of steep powder skiing in general, is running for free on Amazon currently. I'm about half way through; good stuff.

That is must see TV

Just watched The Handmaiden... Japanese/Korean sort of “dangerous liaisons” w/ some fun girl on girl action

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Swift, Silent, Deep, a docu about the Jackson Hole "Air Force", and somewhat of a history of steep powder skiing in general, is running for free on Amazon currently. I'm about half way through; good stuff.
    Just watched it.....very good.

Tales from the Loop: only two episodes in, but beautiful in its understated poignancy. The second episode killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Tales ftrom the Loop: only two episodes in, but beautiful in its understated poignancy. The second episode killed me.
    When you say "killed me" do you mean it had you laughing uncontrollably or that it was visceral and emotional?

I watched the first episode late Saturday night and have to say I was underwhelmed.
    It is visually arresting, but the acting by all involved was a bit earnest and the incessant use of non-stop musical score became overbearing; the quietly engaging imagery really didn't call for continuous music to be running in the background. This is the type of show that would benefit from more silence.

Definitely gonna give it a coupla more eps, but the first one didn't really do it for me as a whole. It had some great, nuanced images, but didn't really flow as a whole to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Thanks for letting me know this was available. I hadn’t seen it in some years.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    When you say "killed me" do you mean it had you laughing uncontrollably or that it was visceral and emotional?

I watched the first episode late Saturday night and have to say I was underwhelmed.
    It is visually arresting, but the acting by all involved was a bit earnest and the incessant use of non-stop musical score became overbearing; the quietly engaging imagery really didn't call for continuous music to be running in the background. This is the type of show that would benefit from more silence.

Definitely gonna give it a coupla more eps, but the first one didn't really do it for me as a whole. It had some great, nuanced images, but didn't really flow as a whole to me.
    Actually agree with your reaction to the first episode; "killed me" as in broke my heart i.e. much better than the first episode, although I'm guessing that all the episodes will be soft, subtle and slo-mo. I was able to tune out the soundtrack early into the second episode. I'm actually appreciating it not being the typical life smashing, thrill ride that most SF movies tend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I watched the first three seasons of The Expanse in the last month and enjoyed it.
    Season four goes live tomorrow.
    Seasons 1-3 were great.
    Multi-faceted characters with believable motivations.
    Good depiction of zero-g physics.
    Deep political intrigue and powerplays, potential planetary extinction events and the genesis of new life.

Season four "welcomes" a (I think) new director and writer to adapt the story for screen.
    (Who think they're hot shit and as such they command a few seconds each at the end of the hurried opening credits.)
    Sadly the series devolves into formulaic sci-fi with tired tropes typified by a string of contrived emergencies that exist merely to heighten tension.

Sigh.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Well put. 1-3 were some of the best SF on tv; S4 was a joke. What a waste. They literally had an infinite amount of worlds on which to continue the story, and they completely fucked it up.

Altered Carbon (Netflix) had a similar trajectory. S1 was a masterpiece, A+; S2 is a shitty joke of an homage to the original. I couldn’t even finish it.