Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    I was a hudge LOTR fan as a kid. I loved the old animated Hobbit/LOTR movies. Read the books many times. All that. Maybe I'm just too old now, but the new movies and shows just don't do anything for me. Too polished, too weird, never how I pictured any of it in my mind. I think I'm just more of a fantasy book reader than I am a movie watcher.

Cool seeing NZ in the background though, as I spent time there when they were filming the original movies and stuff. Need to get back.

I strongly disagree on the Films. They are not perfect, but easily in the 8 to 9 out of 10 range concerning book Adaptions. ( only the expanse gets a 10 from me)

The series ( until early episode 2) is just lavish landscapes and expensive cgi.
    The dialouge is corny sometimes. No character really gets me to feel for him and the proto Hobbits are just plain annoying. And I don't see a real Story arc except " the ominous return of evil". Or something or ....?

The wokeness or short hair cut Elves don't bother me, but I'm not a due hard Fan.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

For me the latest iteration is trying too hard to hide characters from us. Remember Sauron created all but the one ring with the help of the elven smiths. Also, the realms of man, with the exception of Númenor, seem so much more diminished than I recall from the text, where it was stated several times that men multiplied and created/destroyed their kingdoms on a frequent basis. Perhaps the screenwriters are trying too hard to bring in mystique for the non-readers of the series that feels too forced to those that have a good grasp of the canon.

I came to Tolkien relatively late (SF for boys, fantasy/fairy tails for girls; what can I say - young and stupid), and never got that invested. I came into the prequel with low expectations, in part because The Hobbit was just sad. So far I've been pleasantly surprised. Agree though, the first and early second episodes was pretty shakey. The whole obnoxious rope scene on the raft was horribly clumsy. Late second and third episodes definitely recovered nicely, though. I'm just taking it as a whole new story that may or may not have something to do with my vague memories of what may have been revealed in the LOTR core.

The Hobbit movies are utter crap. I don't know what Jackson thought..... some sort of weird megalomania?

Still haven't watched. Episode 3 or finished 2. And I'm more curious about house of the dragon tbh. But rings is "free."

Rings probably deserves its own thread?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Rings probably deserves its own thread?
    Only to complain how horrible it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Only to complain how horrible it is.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    The Hobbit movies are utter crap. I don't know what Jackson thought..... some sort of weird megalomania?

Still haven't watched. Episode 3 or finished 2. And I'm more curious about house of the dragon tbh. But rings is "free."
    The most recent episode (4) of House of the Dragon stumbles a bit, the King's advancing disease is interesting though.

THE OUTFIT
    This is a wonderfully taut psychological drama-cum-gangsters with guns-cum-noir-cum-one room neo thriller teeming with hints of Hitchcock, Mamet, and Tarantino.
    Propelled by a stellar cast, some downright fantastic dialogue, and myriad twists, it is tightly knit and seamless. While some of the plot elements are ultimately predictable, they never feel forced or faux and often times they emerge with a sense of off-handed subtlety, having been obscured by the bravura acting and numerous sleight-of-hand red herrings. Lurking underneath the subdued action is a wonderfully complimentary score by Alexandre Desplat.
    The whole film is as well-tailored as one of the bespoke suits cut by the lead protagonist.

RIYL
    The early plays of David Mamet (think American Buffalo) as well as his early films; Reservoir Dogs; The Petrified Forest (1936)

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Agree 200%. Felt like a perfectly screen adapted play. Mark Rylance for the MFW.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    BLISS

For some reason I keep giving director Joe Begos the benefit of my doubts. His first film, Almost Human, was almost unwatchable. His latest effort, VFW, was a limp and uninspired retread of the trapped-in-a-building-surrounded-by-hordes-of-rabid-attackers horror and thriller trope. Yet despite his less than stellar track record (in regards to my personal taste in horror films, mind you) I queued up another of his films last night. Why? Because for some unknown reason, when it comes to horror films, I am ever the optimist. And you know what? Dude finally finds his groove with Bliss, both in terms of direction and storytelling. Begos has always been about the splatter infested practical gore and here he continues to deliver, but he also seriously ups the ante in terms of a multi-layered story, competent actors, and a dizzying direction style (he straight snatches Spike Lee's signature dolly shot and elevates it to harrowing heights). The double-edged subtext regarding addiction and the origins of artistic expression is great, but there are also plenty of eww-and-goo moments that counter balance the underlying headyness with bucket loads of gore.

Holy Shit, I could watch Dora Madison go hard in the paint all night, it’s fucking insane. Oh and, George Wendt as Pops, Norm! Loved every minute of this movie.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Peripheral is pretty good so far. I might have to read a few gibson novels.

Agree; only one episode for me so far but lots of fun.
    And only 8 executive producers!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    And only 8 executive producers!
    Less then 12 usually means less Quality!

The English drops this Friday on Prime. Brutal/gritty western with Emily Blunt FTMFW

The English drops this Friday on Prime. Brutal/gritty western with Emily Blunt FTMFW
    Hmmmmm ....
    A little more spaghetti western than I was expecting.

Hmmmmm ....
    A little more spaghetti western than I was expecting.
    Finished The English several days ago, and had to ruminate a while. Started out not terribly impressed, having gone in with high expectations, but around the 3rd episode I felt myself being snagged and reeled in. Took a while to adjust to the time and character history jumps, but began to really appreciate how what seems to be so disconnected began to come together, building to a really good resolution. Be patient with this one, it's truly worth the effort.

Finished The English several days ago, and had to ruminate a while. Started out not terribly impressed, having gone in with high expectations, but around the 3rd episode I felt myself being snagged and reeled in. Took a while to adjust to the time and character history jumps, but began to really appreciate how what seems to be so disconnected began to come together, building to a really good resolution. Be patient with this one, it's truly worth the effort.
    3 eps in and liking it enough to keep going.

Only complaint is that Ms Blunt looks like she spent several hours in makeup before each take: her lips are always ruby red and her cheeks rouged and skin almost alabaster smooth and clean whilst every other female character looks dirty, weathered, and actually like they’ve been riding horses and killing people all day…

There’s a wee bit of spaghetti sauce spattered throughout the title sequence animation and the first ep, but after that it kinda veers more traditional American western in look and tone ( though it does smack a bit of Tarantino at times, too).

She weathers in nicely by the end; remember where she's coming from.
    I was annoyed at the rather wasted inclusion of Hinds and Jones - almost throw away roles intended to draw in a more sophisticated viewer?
    Be prepared for Spall, however - delightful!

She weathers in nicely by the end; remember where she's coming from.
    I was annoyed at the rather wasted inclusion of Hinds and Jones - almost throw away roles intended to draw in a more sophisticated viewer?
    Be prepared for Spall, however - delightful!
    Spall?

As for THE ENGLISH, I enjoyed it for the most part. Heck, I binged it in one evening.
    However…I was sorely disappointed in the Harlequin romance styled “forbidden love” angle and the reliance on the tired, outdated, and boring “White Savior” and “Noble Savage” tropes. Given the first episode, I was expecting something far more revisionist, but it ended up being like a Hallmark Midnight Madness effort (if Hallmark made romantic westerns with violence and mayhem, that is…).

Still, despite its many unnecessary flaws, it was an entertaining diversion.

Rafe Spall is David Melmont, mr. nasty.

Rafe Spall is David Melmont, mr. nasty.
    Here I was thinking Timothy Spall…

But that other Spall was great, too

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Here I was thinking Timothy Spall…
    Will forever be Barry from Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Another recommendation for The Peripheral if you are into sci fi. Very different plot from thhe book… but apparently Gibson said it should be considered a separate and different work of art as if it lives in another stub. His books are great obviously if you are into that kind if stuff.