Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    2 From De Palma:

Dressed To Kill (1980)
    While I see this as De Palma's homage to Argento's giallo films (see the two I recommended on Page 10), it's also widely recognized as being an homage to Psycho. Whatever the case may be, it's stylish and violent and just over-the-top enough to be kind of campy, too.
    I would recommend watching Argento's Deep Red and then watching Dressed to Kill.

Blow Out (1981)
    A direct nod to the 1966 Michelangelo Antonioni film Blow-Up, this John Travolta starring thriller is much more direct and to the point that it's predecessor, imho. Again, super stylish and ultra-violent, but incredibly engaging if you like twisting and harrowing mystery/thrillers.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

So you dig the Japanese beatnik yakuza films of Seijun Suzuki, eh?

Well, then check out GOZU, the gonzo PoMo, weird-as-fuck yakuza film from Takiahi Miike (director of Ichi The Killer, Audition, 13 Samurai, and countless other warped Japanese genre films).

The plot?
    A young yakuza member is charged with disposing of his increasingly off-kilter, possibly demented mentor. On the way to taking said mentor to his demise, the young yakuza-in-training loses said mentor. Strangeness and insanity ensues in the Japanese suburbs.

Surreal.
    Fucked-up.
    Super-gonzo greatness from Miike (stop here if you have not seen either Ichi The Killer or Audition and go rent/stream those first; you may also wish to search out Suzuki's off-kilter yakuza films, too, so you have a frame of reference).

Boo.
    Yaa.

Possibly won’t appeal to many in this crowd, but Amazon currently has two versions of “Vanity Fair” available. Thackeray called it “a novel without a hero”.

The newer version is snappier, but I suspect doesn’t follow the original as closely (although I haven’t read the original).

Some good scenes of the battle of Waterloo.

If you like the Dickins stories, you might like this.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

If you like the Dickins stories
    Thackeray is raunchier than I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^

I never claimed to be able to spel.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Thackeray is raunchier than I remember.
    Finished the last episode of the new 2018 version. Frankly, I’m disappointed. Lot better eye candy and special effects, but key parts of the plot were glossed over and minimized.

They really butchered the ending in an attempt to have a happy resolution - exactly NOT what Thackeray intended. I can say that without having read the book (I will have to read it now). The 1987 version is MUCH better as far as the plot goes. Camera work and technical aspects, not so much, but a lot more “raunchy” and the irony is much better developed.

I’ll hold off on giving specifics to avoid spoilers. But if you liked the 2018 version, be sure to check out the 1987 version. Just discovered there is also a 1935 version (and a 2004, and 2014 versions). Shit, maybe I’ll have to watch them all.

Been meaning to watch Barry Lyndon, again too,

Malcolm McDowell Double-Feature:

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
    What needs be said about this savvy droog-fest from Stanley Kubrick? Grab a milky drink from your own private Korova Milk Bar, sit back, and watch the insanity.

IF
    This film won the Palm d'Or at the 1969 Cannes Film Festival and is considered the "12th Greatest British Film of the 20th Century" by the BFI.
    'Nuff said.

Not sure how I missed/slept on the news of this:

The comic book series upon which it is based is bonkers violent and just plain crazy. Hope they keep those elements intact.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    IF
    This film won the Palm d'Or at the 1969 Cannes Film Festival and is considered the "12th Greatest British Film of the 20th Century" by the BFI.
    'Nuff said.

Cool - never seen this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

MUD
    4/5

Basically Stand By Me, but with less kids and a real live body. Made me want to rewatch Undertow and Winter’s Bone again.
    Great cast, fronted by Matthew McConaughey and including Sam Shepard, Michael Shannon, and a great supporting cast.
    Written and directed by Jeff Nichols, who wrote/directed the super cool Take Shelter.

COLORS just popped up.
    Great late '80s Los Angeles cop drama starring Sean Penn and Robert Duvall and directed by Dennis Hopper. Look for the early career turns from Don Cheadle, Damon Wayans, and others, too.

The soundtrack alone (7A3, Ice-T, and more) is worth the price of admission.

COLORS just popped up.
    Great late '80s Los Angeles cop drama starring Sean Penn and Robert Duvall and directed by Dennis Hopper. Look for the early career turns from Don Cheadle, Damon Wayans, and others, too.

The theme song by Ice T is one of the classic rap songs of that era. Still bangs.

This was always my favorite jam from Colors:
    (early DJ Muggs (pre-Cypress Hill) production, too)

Both THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR films are on AP right now.

Both are equally solid and very different.

I suggest watching the Steve McQueen "original" first followed by the Pierce Brosnan "re-imagining".
    Or you could watch the Pierce Brosnan version first and then go retro afterwards with the Steve McQueen version (which is what I did back in the day after seeing the former in the theaters and then learning about the latter).

any one into the Expanse yet? Looks right in my wheelhouse
    https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-S.../dp/B018BZ3SCM

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    any one into the Expanse yet? Looks right in my wheelhouse
    https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-S.../dp/B018BZ3SCM
    Good storyline, but the first 3 seasons were done by theSyFy channel and the sets/CGI reflect their cheap approach to such things. AmPri picked it up for season 4 and I was hoping for significant upgrades, but so far they've failed to materialize.

COLORS just popped up.

I’ve been telling this joke e for years

Two bulls on top of a hill looking into a valley filled with cows.

The young bull says to the older-> let’s run down there and fuck us one of those cows.

The old bull says shit son-> let’s walk down and fuck them all.
    Never knew where that was from till now. Thanks for the rec.

THE MAN FROM RENO
    4/5
    Nice, intricate, slow-burn modern noir teeming with low-key and extremely subtle red herrings and plot twists.
    Reminded me a bit of a quieter, more serious Big Lebowski in that an innocent individual is sucked into a web of deceit and mystery slightly against their will.
    Great 3rd act twist and nihilistic ending.
    Filmed in the Bay Area, so if you live there or are familiar with the area it will be even cooler.

The expanse season 3 is probably some of the best Sci fi I've ever seen.

Season 1 and 2 on Amazon are amazing as well.
    Season 3 has been on prime (in Europe) for 2 days and I've only got 2 episodes left. Despite having kids and a job.

It's kind of weird that their seasons end in the middle of the books(big battles and conclusions always mid season) , but it makes for great cliffhangers.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    The expanse season 3 is probably some of the best Sci fi I've ever seen.

Season 1 and 2 on Amazon are amazing as well.
    Season 3 has been on prime (in Europe) for 2 days and I've only got 2 episodes left. Despite having kids and a job.

It's kind of weird that their seasons end in the middle of the books(big battles and conclusions always mid season) , but it makes for great cliffhangers.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk
    Too bad they cast Holden so poorly. Almost everything you late about the show is great.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I fell into vortex of the Russian shows. Started with Ekaterina - a stunning show about Catherine the Great, told from the Russian perspective (of course), endlessly fascinating. It's a beautiful and rich production, and supremely well-told. Then there's, Method, a sort-of Russian version of Dexter. Here's an article on more Russia produced excellent shows.

There are so many Dickens adaptations available on Prime, watching them is the perfect way to spend a rainy night. The best of them is probably the more recently produced Bleak House, with Gillian Anderson. Once you watch one, the "recommendations for you" show all the old Masterpiece and BBC productions for you to watch next, and all are excellent.

Agree about latest Vanity Fair, while it's swift and pretty to look at, without that whole storyline of Becky Sharp's 2nd marriage, it takes out the sting and just isn't the same story.

Bosch is probably the best of the Amazon Studios produced shows here, or anywhere, really.

An Inspector Calls is elevated by the cast and adaptation. Must watch, will not spoil - but it's a 1912 play (still in production, I just saw it recently), a sort of mystery story.

I do not recommend ABC Murders, which foists upon us a John Malkovich Poirot. It has little to do with a whodunit, and is instead a bizarre character study of Poitot, complete with an off-script back story not provided by Agatha Christie, but invented for this 3 episode adaptation.

Agree strongly on Bosch, An Inspector Calls (a delightfully pleasant surprise - went in cold with no fore-knowledge), and the ABC Murders (20 minutes in my wife and I looked at each other, shook our heads and switched to Bletchley Circle:SF - meh).

Bone Tomahawk was really good. The slow dialogue-heavy lead up was almost better than the gory finale. I think it got a little sloppy at the end, figuratively, but not enough to make me dislike it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^The dialogue was the only thing that saved that film for me. The monologues by Richard Jenkins' character were priceless.
    Other than that, I found the film to look really cheap and cheesy (the town looked like it was built out of clapboard in a weekend).

The writer/director's next film, Brawl in Cell Block 99 is gonzo off-the-nuts, fwiw.