Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    I wish Amazon would have developed Oasis. It has a great pilot episode.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    I wish Amazon would have developed Oasis. It has a great pilot episode.
    I missed that one. Looks interesting.

It looks like it's no longer available.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 08-01-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Peterloo.

Internationally acclaimed and Oscar-nominated filmmaker Mike Leigh portrays one of the bloodiest episodes in British history, the infamous Peterloo Massacre of 1819, where government-backed cavalry charged into a peaceful crowd of 60,000 that gathered in Manchester, England to demand democratic reform.
    Will I need subtitles? 'Cause I watched "Gavin and Stacey" recently and needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Will I need subtitles? 'Cause I watched "Gavin and Stacey" recently and needed them.
    I needed subtitles for parts of Gavin and Stacey

I needed subtitles for parts of Gavin and Stacey
    Fucking Welsh.

I missed that one. Looks interesting.
    It's worth watching even knowing you will only get one episode. I am guessing there wasn't enough in the budget to do both The Expanse and Oasis.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Fucking Welsh.

Don't watch Rab C Nesbitt then

Noticed that The Night Manager is now on prime.

Superb John le Carré series if you missed it on cable.

I stumbled upon this '80s anime gem last night.

I am not an otaku by any means, so I am not at all well versed in anime. I have seen a few of the hallmarks of the genre such as Alita, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the Northstar, Vampire Hunter D, and Cowboy Bebop.
    At any rate, this one caught my eye with the title and colorful poster. Also, as I was looking for something lighthearted and not terribly long to watch after a 7 hour hike/ski day, the 1 hour and 39 minute running time was equally appealing.
    It definitely fit the bill.
    It is basically a loose and sillly space opera that has elements of westerns, swashbucklers, and classic sci-fi.
    The story is a bit convoluted, but you get the gist of it by the second act and once you do, it becomes clear that it is pretty cool. Granted, it's the old standard where a rapscallion takes on an evil conglomerate while trying to save a princess, but there's enough original elements to make it rise above cliche.
    For example, the villain, Crystal Boy, is one of the greatest and most bizarre antagonists ever put to film.
    And while the animation is like low-end anime mixed with Filmation rigidity, It's kinda cool in a retro way. There is awkward nudity and a plethora of mildly hallucinatory sequences that lend the whole affair an off kilter sense of maturity.
    It's just a fun and quirky romp.

RIYL: Heavy Metal (the animated movie); Cowboy Bebop;
    Last edited by dookey67; 08-09-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post

Don't watch Rab C Nesbitt then

Holy shit - that is GOLD!

I turned on the subtitles - they must have some AI doing the subtitles... 'cause it was complete nonsense.

Amazon's new LORD OF THE RINGS series cannot use most of the main story!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...wP3V9Z4ENQ31uw
    Last edited by dookey67; 08-31-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Got sucked into CARNIVAL ROW yesterday and powered through all 8 episodes of Season 1.

It's like Deadwood-meets-Narnia.
    I would call it a middle-fantasy as it stradles the border between low-fantasy and high-fantasy, borrowing tropes from each, not to mention a touch of neo steam punk. Yet underneath all the fantastical trappings, it's really just a sordid soap opera relying on obvious plot twists and devious characters, yet it still sucks you in.
    Large chunks of the story are really familiar to anybody who has read Shakespeare, watched their mom's soap operas, or seen any previous dark fantasy shows/movies, yet these "cliches" are delivered by a solid cast (primarily British), which are able to make the somewhat hokey and familiar story seem at least moderately fresh and interesting. The production is of fairly high quality, too, unlike quite a bit of shows of this nature that usually have crappy effects and sets.
    Orlando Bloom is the co-lead along with Cara Delevingne and they unfurl an off-kilter Romeo & Juliet storyline teeming with dark magic and tragedy.
    It's filmed in a washed-out turqouise sepia tone (kind of like Pirates of the Caribbean), so it has that steam punk gleam.
    The ending of Episode 8 was open enough to allow for a second season, but also closed enough that if it gets cancelled you won't be terribly left out in the cold in terms of the story.
    Entertaining if you like dark fantasy.
    Oh yeah, lots of swearing (who knew faeries loved to say "fuck" so much?), some moments of gore, and faerie/human sex and nudity (faerie, human, and satyr).

Last edited by dookey67; 08-31-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Yeah, that’s a good one. I’m rationing myself to one episode at a sitting. Have to savor this one.

Got a few left in carnival row, digging it. Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night and quite enjoyed it but I'm really digging some pretty fucked up variations on the spaghetti westerns.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Got a few left in carnival row, digging it. Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night and quite enjoyed it but I'm really digging some pretty fucked up variations on the spaghetti westerns.
    Recommendations of said "fucked up variations on the spaghetti westerns? (i.e. what have you been watching?)

A bevy of great low-budget cult genre films have popped up on Prime recently...

CUBE
    This 1997 debut from Vincenzo Natali is a fantastic low-budget sci-fi/horror psychological nail-biter of the same caliber as Dreamscape, The Terminator, and The Arrival (i.e. a small film with a great story, decent acting, and cool practical effects).
    The film comes out the gate with a bang and keeps you tightly wound up for the duration.

Not linking to the trailer as it gives away most of the cool twists.

If you dig claustrophobic sci-fi with a psychological sense of dread and confusion augmented with some gooey and gory practical effects, this is a gem.

^^ Cube is indeed a gem. Don’t bother with the sequels though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^ Cube is indeed a gem. Don’t bother with the sequels though.
    Too late for that!
    Watched the sequel and prequel when they were released on VHS!
    But, yes, they both sucked and don't even hold a burnt out candle nub to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    A bevy of great low-budget cult genre films have popped up on Prime recently...

CUBE
    This 1997 debut from Vincenzo Natali is a fantastic low-budget sci-fi/horror psychological nail-biter of the same caliber as Dreamscape, The Terminator, and The Arrival (i.e. a small film with a great story, decent acting, and cool practical effects).
    The film comes out the gate with a bang and keeps you tightly wound up for the duration.

Not linking to the trailer as it gives away most of the cool twists.

If you dig claustrophobic sci-fi with a psychological sense of dread and confusion augmented with some gooey and gory practical effects, this is a gem.
    Cube's definitely worth a watch! That one totally flew under the radar when it came out but thankfully I watched it back then when I saw it at my local rental shop. Don't you miss those days? Browsing the aisles and being like "What's this? Guess I'll check it out" with pretty much nothing but the box to go by and then sometimes being kind of blown away. Coming home with piles of movies was always fun. For better or worse, it was always a surprise.

Too late for that!
    Watched the sequel and prequel when they were released on VHS!
    But, yes, they both sucked and don't even hold a burnt out candle nub to the original.
    Is it bad that I have them all? Haha. The original's DEFINITELY the best, but the others were kind of fun too in their own low-budget ways. Especially Cube Zero. I kind of liked how they tied a bunch of stuff together with that one and pulled back the curtain a bit.

More low-budget awesomeness:

THE BLOOD OF HEROES
    This Rutger Hauer/Joan Chen ditty is a post-apocalyptic yarn that is best described as The Road Warrior if it were about Death Rugby and not high octane mayhem.
    Directed and written by David Webb Peoples (co-screenwriter of Blade Runner and screenwriter of Ladyhawke, Unforgiven, and Twelve Monkeys).
    This is a gritty little sci-fi action flick.

The last two are already off prime. Lame!

LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM
    Ken Russell's deliciously delirious psycho-sexual and hallucinatory slant on the vampiric mythos is teeming with modern gothic nuance, dark humor, and gratuitously kinky camp.

Watch the trailers at your own peril as they give away quite a bit of the story.

Vintage Trailer

DVD Trailer

Another great, late night, quasi-grindhouse classic has popped up on Prime.
    We're talking The Blackboard Jungle meets The Warriors.
    Perry King!
    Timothy Van Patten!
    Michael Fox before he added the "J"!
    Roddy McDowell sans ape make-up!
    Ultra violence, loud music, and unbridled mayhem!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Another great, late night, quasi-grindhouse classic has popped up on Prime.
    We're talking The Blackboard Jungle meets The Warriors.
    Perry King!
    Timothy Van Patten!
    Michael Fox before he added the "J"!
    Roddy McDowell sans ape make-up!
    Ultra violence, loud music, and unbridled mayhem!

Watched the shit out of this back in the VHS days

This too

UNDER THE SILVER LAKE
    4/5
    Currently Streaming on Amazon Prime

Written and directed by David Robert Mitchell (best known for It Follows), this neon noir could easily be considered a blatant nod to Sir Alfred, and while it undoubtedly is, it is also heavily filtered through the skewed eye of Brian De Palma and the demented cerebral cortex of David Lynch.
    Mixing twisted conspiracy theories with wacked-out urban legends and hobo linguistics, UTSL is a hypnotic, hallucinatory, and generally absurd romp through Los Angeles' angst ridden millennial underbelly. Fueled by cigarettes, weed, day old pizza, booze, and an innocent, yet creepy lust for the ladies, our somewhat clueless, yet no less intrepid protagonist finds himself spiraling down a fucked-up rabbit hole, learning that pop music is fixed, rich people can do whatever the fuck they want, and paying rent on time is overrated.
    Every time you think you know where the movie is going, it flips a bitch and heads in the opposite direction. Likewise, every time you start to feel that shit is getting lame, BAAAAAM!, shit gets real weird.
    This film makes me want to move to L.A.
    I also wish I'd seen it on the BIG screen in theaters.
    Oh well.

RIYL
    Blue Velvet; Body Double; Mulholland Drive; Blow Out; North By Northwest; Rear Window; Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (the BBC teleplay)

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-16-2022 at 07:04 PM.