Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    LOL, Thanks, I'll give it a try. The scene where 4 pickup trucks with machine guns sneak up and overtake the compound was hard to take as well as the scene where the choppers come to get him at the party. Also having a hard time seeing the guy from The Office as an action hero,

THE NIGHT EATS THE WORLD
    3.5 / 5

Slow, introspective apocalyptic film taking place in Paris. Basically focuses on a lone man who happens to survive the impending end of the world. Interesting moments of brief intensity interjected into long bouts of him slowly going insane due to being alone. Not a lot of gore, but well paced and solid for this type of "survival" film.
    What I liked was that the "hero" was a veritable milquetoast with absolutely no skills whatsoever (i.e he wasn't ex-military or a cop or a survivalist or some macho badass, rather an everyman), so I could relate to that a bit more easily.
    I hesitate to call it an emo-apocalypse movie, because I know how the term "emo" can turn some folks off, but it kinda leaned that way.
    Still, if you stick with it, I felt it was quite satisfying.
    (I am leaving out some stuff so as not to spoil anything, btw).

Trailer contains some visual spoilers, so beware

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I know I’m probably late to the party....but I started Season 3 of Man in the High Castle.

I liked the first 2 seasons, so I’m hoping it’s as good.

Patriot finally gets a second season! It was a pretty amazing piece of multi-level work through the first season but didn't remotely finish the story, so this is much anticipated. Re-watching season one first, though; still funny the second time.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Without going back through the thread, has anyone seen Jack Ryan. I loved the Clancy movies and any kind of spy stuff, so i have a bit of leeway as far as what is over the top in that genre. A gal at work told me this was great and I watched the 1st episode and couldn't believe the absurdity. Hoping it is just that episode, but doubting it.
    I liked it. John Krasinsky does a solid job with the part. Hes not as good as Baldwin in Red October, or Harrison Ford in Clear and Present danger, but he's up there, in the first television series for Jack Ryan. Give it another chance, watch episode 2, you'll watch the whole season. Its not on my Top Shows of All Time list by any stretch but its solid. Especially if you like the genre

I wasnt that sold on Kracinsky either, but he did a good job as a pretty bad ass ex-SEAL guy in 13 Hours so I gave him a chance on this. Hey the whole premise is that Jack Ryan is kind of a nerdy-office-type-analyst who ends up being pretty bad ass in the field.. Kracinsky is almost perfect for the role

I actually came in here to ask if anybody has seen the new Julia Roberts show Homecoming? got sidetracked by Jack Ryan...
    Not a huge fan of hers, but the show has a 99 on Rotten Tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    THE NIGHT EATS THE WORLD
    answer me this: there is a scene in the trailer where the main character, is luring a cat, and then it cuts to a crazy zombie shot.
    IS THERE ANY ZOMBIE (or human) ON FELINE VIOLENCE?? wife will not continue to watch if there is. No dogs/cats can die in any show/movie we watch

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I actually came in here to ask if anybody has seen the new Julia Roberts show Homecoming? got sidetracked by Jack Ryan...
    Not a huge fan of hers, but the show has a 99 on Rotten Tomatoes
    Solid; I’m not a big fan of Julia either, but this is a good series. Trippy even. Definitely a thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Solid; I’m not a big fan of Julia either, but this is a good series. Trippy even. Definitely a thumbs up.
    I listened to the podcast so I’m not sure what I’ll think of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I listened to the podcast so I’m not sure what I’ll think of the show.
    I really dug the show, except for the rather pat/trite "romantic" ending.

I attempted to listen to the podcast and had a hard time getting into it after having seen the show, fwiw, mostly given the different actors, hearing their voices but seeing the cast from the show in my head...

answer me this: there is a scene in the trailer where the main character, is luring a cat, and then it cuts to a crazy zombie shot.
    IS THERE ANY ZOMBIE (or human) ON FELINE VIOLENCE?? wife will not continue to watch if there is. No dogs/cats can die in any show/movie we watch
    Rather perplexed by you and your wife's movie viewing guidelines, but will leave it at that.

To answer your question (SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS...):

There is no zombie-against-cat violence, nor any human-against-cat violence, however the cat is killed/shot off-screen by the protagonist (at least it's implied that it is shot and killed though you never actually see it die).
    Last edited by dookey67; 11-27-2018 at 08:00 AM.

The Gymkhana Files episode #1 is fucking great! Ken Block is a really cool human and I am looking forward to the rest of this series.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    The Gymkhana Files episode #1 is fucking great! Ken Block is a really cool human and I am looking forward to the rest of this series.
    Yup. That pikes peak turn was nuts

I really dug the show, except for the rather pat/trite "romantic" ending.

I attempted to listen to the podcast and had a hard time getting into it after having seen the show, fwiw, mostly given the different actors, hearing their voices but seeing the cast from the show in my head...
    Got better, worth a watch and fast binging.

Dookey-how long did it take you to catch the soundtracks? Took me a bit...
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yup. That pikes peak turn was nuts
    I am thru the current episode and more should be released this week. The Hoonicorn on that turn is up there among the coolest things I have seen on a screen. The MRI confession is quality also. Last time I paid attention was the R. Dyrdek mini khana deal on MTV.

Only click on this if you've already watched

https://news.avclub.com/a-comprehens...com-1830295086
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Working our way through “Endeavor” a pbs mystery series we missed once we cut the cable. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post

Ended up being a flop for me. Episode one was ok with PP, but got fast fowarding through most of the other episodes.

If you need a break from movies that make you think, it looks like Revival, the Sam Bush documentary, is now on Amazon...looks pretty entertaining, goes back to his days with Newgrass Revival, etc...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Rather perplexed by you and your wife's movie viewing guidelines, but will leave it at that.
    whats perplexing man?? If a cat or dog gets killed, that immediately ruins the movie for her even if the rest of it is awesome...

anyhow I watched Homecoming - it was OK I thought. Julia Roberts was pretty good but Bobby Cannavale (who played her boss) over acted his part quite a bit

I just found this show, and if you haven't seen it, I love it so far:

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Great first episode

whats perplexing man?? If a cat or dog gets killed, that immediately ruins the movie for her even if the rest of it is awesome...
    But she doesn't have a problem if people (or other animals) get killed in a film?
    That's what's perplexing, man...

anyhow I watched Homecoming - it was OK I thought. Julia Roberts was pretty good but Bobby Cannavale (who played her boss) over acted his part quite a bit

I just found this show, and if you haven't seen it, I love it so far:

When those 2 escaped from prison, it was all the news would cover as it was up north from us.

When I first saw the pictures of the guys, one of the mugshots looked very, VERY much like me. I thought it was funny until the manhunt went on for a few more weeks and every cop in the state was gunning for these guys. I got a little concerned that I could be mistaken for one of them and shot at.

During that time I needed new eyeglass frames so I used the mugshot to "try them on" online.

Fast forward a few years and I come home to find a letter from a location scout for a filming project stuffed into my door. They are looking for remote home locations to film their prison escape scenes for their project called "Escape from Danemora". I laughed and sent them an email with my picture saying maybe I could be your guy. Never heard back from them.

But she doesn't have a problem if people (or other animals) get killed in a film?
    That's what's perplexing, man...
    She has 0 problem if SCORES of humans get slaughtered. But, god forbid a dog doesnt make it...
    And no, its pretty much all animals, not just cats and dogs. Those are just the big two that will instantly result in her losing any interest in whatever it is. It is weird, I know. Trust me I do not agree

If you dig movies that make you think and will linger with you long after you have finished viewing them, then FIRST REFORMED might just be up your alley.

3.5/5

Interesting character study of a priest (Ethan Hawke) who lost his son in Iraq, then lost his marriage, became unwound and was given the chance to preside over a historical parish in Upstate NY. He is an acoholic, doesn’t take care of himself, and eventually gets sucked into the dreams/aspirations of a lost soul who is hell-bent on righting the wrongs of corporate pollution. The movie is a slow-boil, where you see Hawke’s character start to become consumed with the perspectives of the man he is counseling. The parallel between how we treat the earth (poorly) and how Hawk’s character treats himself (poorly) is intriguing. But we also don’t know if Hawk is taking the path he chooses because he agrees with his parishioner or because he himself is undergoing a trial of faith. There are a few uncomfortable moments where Hawk seems to be attracted to his parishioner's wife (or perhaps vice/versa), but this is left kind of opaque, delivered in awkward moments of contact and dream-like sheen, so we never really know what is going on there (i.e. is it real or fantasy?). Likewise for the ending, where Hawk is consumed with a kind of penitent rapture, again blurring the lines between reality and fantasy.
    An interesting film, that is a bit talky, religious, and (meta)philosophical, but if you stick with it it's rather solid and slowly unravels to reveal many interesting layers.