Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hmmmmm ..... still ruminating on Goliath 2; Seemed kind of hodge-podgy - too much cramed into the first 7 episodes that could have been fleshed out a lot more, and then episode 8 (finale) just dragged on forever and left waaaaay too much unresolved. Should have been at least 10, probably 12 episodes, with a more definite ending. Tom's come-uppance was good, but he was a little hard to believe as he swung wildly from poor abused child to brutal psychopath. Interesting the disparity between critics and audience ratings on RT.
    True Detective S01 E04
    Atlanta S02 E06
    Goliath S02 E07

Some of the best writing & acting I've seen.

More of this please.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    TURBO KID
    4/5

HOLY.
    MOLY.
    Talk about genre pastiche and gonzo homage up the wazoo.
    This film draws from such Ozploitation cult classics as BMX Bandits, post-Road Warrior spaghetti apocalypse schlock, Hershel Gordon Lewis,/vintage Peter Jackson,/vintage Cronenberg (in respect to the gore and practical effects), Monty Python's Holy Grail, Power Rangers, Solarbabies, Cherry 2000, and too many other influences to list here. If you're quick you'll catch the visual nod to Jackson's Dead Alive as well as verbal nods to Soylent Green and visual winks towards Waterworld, amongst others that I probably missed.
    Suffice it to say, if you grew up in the '80s, then this flick may appeal to you.
    The film is rendered as if it were a lost '80s artifact, and while that schtick is kinda old (the whole faux grindhouse mini-movement), it works well here.
    While the story is a simple one of revenge and retribution, the pacing is fast and furious, the camp level is 11+, and the practical gore effects are amazing.
    The filmmakers obviously love the schlock from days gone by and it shows.
    If you're a genre nerd or just want something light, funny, violent, and kitchsy, this may very well be your jam.

Really enjoyed this, if it had fallen into the hands of someone with deeper pockets it could have easily been as popular as Stranger Things.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Barfly, starring Mickey Rourke as writer Charles Bukowski's alter ego.

make it a double feature with Angel Heart, also premiering this month.

Tell them Louis Cypher sent you...
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

For all my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I just binge watched the entire season in 2 days.

The whole thing was kinda twisted. Is it really gonna end like that? will season 3 continue with the same, or o to an entire new story.
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hmmmmm ..... still ruminating on Goliath 2; Seemed kind of hodge-podgy - too much cramed into the first 7 episodes that could have been fleshed out a lot more, and then episode 8 (finale) just dragged on forever and left waaaaay too much unresolved. Should have been at least 10, probably 12 episodes, with a more definite ending. Tom's come-uppance was good, but he was a little hard to believe as he swung wildly from poor abused child to brutal psychopath. Interesting the disparity between critics and audience ratings on RT.
    Thought the same, am betting that season three is part II of season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Barfly, starring Mickey Rourke as writer Charles Bukowski's alter ego.

make it a double feature with Angel Heart, also premiering this month.

Tell them Louis Cypher sent you...
    Loved that movie way back when.... "why does it have to be....."
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Finished Brotherhood. Onto Goliath.

Turbo Kid was rad. Thanks Dookey!

Just finished watching "The Frozen Ground"

I think I saw it back when it came out. True Story, good acting.

John Cusack did really well playing the part of the villain.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Goliath was good, but I could have done without the graphic limb removal scenes.

Just hit play on Swiss Army Man.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Just hit play on Swiss Army Man.
    The very last line sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    SWISS ARMY MAN

Quite possibly the most elaborate dick & fart joke ever committed to film (or any other medium, for that matter. If Guinness had an entry for such a feat, this film would be the most serious of contenders.

If that doesn't work for you, then this is the most searingly absurd endictment of California's mental health system I've ever seen.

or, if you will, imagine Where the Wild Things Are crossed with a Monty Python skit gone horribly awry. Either that, or perhaps Robinson Crusoe as re-imagined by John Blutarsky.

Wtf indeed. Enjoyed it simply in the ... huh.. factor. Thanks for another no fail recommended movie

Nick Cave: 20,00 DAYS 0N EARTH
    4/5

I would probably consider myself to be a casual Nick Cave fan at best; I own a few of the Bad Seeds albums and at least one Birthday Party album and have seen him live once, but couldn't name one of his songs if you asked me on the spot. Yet I found this film to be insanely mesmerizing. If you really dig the man there's no way you won't like it. And even if you aren't that familiar with Cave or his music it's a facinating examination of the inner workings of a musician's mind.

It's rendered in a really cool, very surreal manner and provides a rather provocative look at the musician and his thought process, primarily focusing on Cave grappling with his own mortality and delving into the whole rockstar aura/persona/mystique.

Highly recommended.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Watched Brawl in Cellblock 99 last night, starting a very fucked up Vince Vaughn. Grindhouse slow burner, but the violence was in the "holy shit' vein. Great weekend movie, highly recommended.

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Digging Bosch. I like the film noir vibe it's got going. Some great actors in it too - some refugees from the wire

Really enjoyed 20,000 days on earth. Was already a big Nick Cave fan.

Dookey has not steered me wrong yet. Thanks again.

Just starting Everybody Wants Some!! now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Digging Bosch. I like the film noir vibe it's got going. Some great actors in it too - some refugees from the wire
    Yeah, Bosch is great.

Bound

you're welcome
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

^^^Thanks. I've always been curious about how they source local meat and produce on le tour. I wonder if Sky has fresh seafood and produce flown to each stage.

I'm only a few episodes in, but The Man in the High Castle is pretty interesting so far.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

xXx: THE RETURN OF XANDER CAGE
    4/5

This film is so ridiculously over-the-top that it's amazing.

I barely remember the previous two xXx movies, but I recall that they took themselves a bit too seriously. To that end, this one is quite easily the best of the lot, mostly because it’s pretty damn obvious that all of he participants aren’t taking the proceedings too seriously (I swear Vin Diesel looks like he’s laughing throughout the entire picture, like it's obvious that he knows the whole thing is idiotic, but he's having a good time regardless. In many ways it brings to mind the latter period Burt Reynolds/Dom Deluise efforts).

The rest of the supporting cast is great, plus it's one of the coolest assemblages of international actors, that I can think of, to grace the Silver Screen in a long time. Donnie Yen and Deepika Padukone stand out, but everyone is great and adds a lot of flavor to the film.

Additionally, there are some super cool stunts wherein it’s hard to tell what’s real and what was CG’d (even a ridiculous motorbikes-in-the-waves bit looks real).

In short, this is the antithesis to the most recent James Bond films and the Mission: Impossible franchise.

Again, I cannot stress just how f@#king ridiculous, but in a great way, this film is. I personally feel that it achieved camp levels of awesomeness.

Oh yeah, it has a crazy-ass skiing sequence that was performed by Cody Townsend, LJ Strenio, Sandy Boville, Karl Fostvedt, and Thayne Rich.

Watch it with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek.

Last edited by dookey67; 08-04-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

^good flick. Gotta kick outta the safe word.

Binging on Boardwalk Empire tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Binging on Boardwalk Empire tonight...
    That's a great series...