Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Results 926 to 950 of 963
  1. #926
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    PERSON TO PERSON
    this is a quirky ensemble piece taking place in New York over the course of a day.
    It's essentially a quartet of vignettes following a diverse and eccentric group of individuals. A couple of the stories overlap slightly, but overall it's just a glimpse into the many shades of New York denizens.
    Rippled with dry humor, deadpan characters, and some philosophical tangents, the stories revolve around a broken watch, the hunt for a rare Charlie Parker record, naked pictures on the internet, and young, high school love.
    All in all, it's a nice throwback to the type of indie films of the late 80s/early 90s.

    RIYL
    Girl Walks Into A Bar; sex, lies, and videotape; Living In Oblivion;

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  2. #927
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Middle of the NEK
    Posts
    5,434
    The Terminal List
    Not an movie but a new Amazon series.

    I have two episode left and so far I've thought it has been a solid thriller/shoot em up. There seems to be a WIDE disparity between critics (who really seem to hate Chris Pratt) and the audience on this one.

    Name:  TerminalList.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  49.0 KB
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

  3. #928
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    4,462
    Terminal list has weird family flashbacks and a bit of superconservative Themes which seem weird to euros but should be fine in the US. Solid Action entertainment. Notvas good Aa reacher, but Solid 7 out of 10.
    Solid revenge thing. Although the final Twist is a bit meh and obvious.

    But I thoroughly enjoyed the death of the pseudo Military Fitness rogan dude.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  4. #929
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,853
    Also watching and agreeing; this phenomenon of critic hate + audience love has always intrigued me, especially in contrast to the reverse (critic love + audience hate). Obviously, critics aren't infallible but it would seem that sometimes they are victims of their own expertise. Not that audiences can't shit the bed, too .........

  5. #930
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,079
    Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I have two episode left and so far I've thought it has been a solid thriller/shoot em up. There seems to be a WIDE disparity between critics (who really seem to hate Chris Pratt) and the audience on this one.
    After seeing Chris Pratt as Andy in Parks & Rec for so many years I think I'd have a hard time finding him believable as an action star.

  6. #931
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    15,696
    “The Man Nobody Knew” about William Colby
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  7. #932
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,574
    Mr. Jones. How the New York Times helped Stalin hide the Holodomor.

  8. #933
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    Two Gems From Scandinavia
    •*• •*•
    You’re gonna have to pay for ‘em, but they’re worth the $.
    *•* *•*

    Both are extremely droll, deadpan drenched semi-dark comedies.

    OF HORSES AND MEN
    $1.99 rental

    Taking place in a small, rural Icelandic community, this film examines the relationship between the citizens and the wild horses surrounding them. Poignant, quirky, often funny, yet also darkly introspective and harsh; kind of just like the Icelandic landscape.




    O’HORTEN
    $2.99 rental

    This quietly absurd endeavor follows the exploits of a railway engineer after he retires. He basically just wants to chill and smoke his pipe, but keeps getting sucked into hilariously odd situations.

    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 07-11-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  9. #934
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    Road House remake announced by Amazon Studios, proving again how Hollywood filmmakers are all too often bereft of originality.

    Plus they obviously forgot about how both Road House 2 and the Point Break remake/reboot tanked…(i.e. you prolly shouldn’t F with Swayze’s legacy…).


    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...st-1235190788/

    Based on this idiocy, I am guessing that a Ghost remake/reboot isn’t far behind…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  10. #935
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Road House remake announced by Amazon Studios, proving again how Hollywood filmmakers are all too often bereft of originality.

    Plus they obviously forgot about how both Road House 2 and the Point Break remake/reboot tanked…(i.e. you prolly shouldn’t F with Swayze’s legacy…).


    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...st-1235190788/

    Based on this idiocy, I am guessing that a Ghost remake/reboot isn’t far behind…
    Gosling?

  11. #936
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Gosling?
    Gyllenhaal
    (Gosling is too busy getting paid $12M to play Ken in the Barbie movie (what may yet be another example of Hollywood’s continued decline…)).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  12. #937
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Gyllenhaal
    (Gosling is too busy getting paid $12M to play Ken in the Barbie movie (what may yet be another example of Hollywood’s continued decline…)).
    Good call

    Viggo for Wade Garrett?

  13. #938
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    WYRMWOOD: APOCALYPSE
    $1.99 rental, but worth it

    Just when one thought the zombie genre was dead, along comes this gonzo effort from Oz.
    Huge nods to The Road Warrior, Night of the Comet, Evil Dead 2, Soylent Green, and Day of the Dead, this is a blood soaked and splattered brains good time.
    It’s a sequel to the 2014 Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead, which is also a hoot, but not required to enjoy this little ditty.

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  14. #939
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD
    You down with Mad Max?
    Have you seen Turkey Shoot?
    Or Thirst?
    This documentary chronicles the insane grind house era of Australian cinema, showing the world that there was a whole lot more to movies from Down Under than just Crocodile Dundee.
    Teeming with nudity, violence, and gonzo vehicular mayhem, this film is aimed at folks who grew up on Tarantino and George Miller, but are intrigued by what other Aussie offerings of action and cult status insanity are lurking out there.

    Trailer Contains Gratuitous Nudity and Gore

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  15. #940
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Micky D's in Idaho Springs
    Posts
    1,545
    Do not watch Samaritan, the Stallone vehicle, it is terrible.

  16. #941
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Do not watch Samaritan, the Stallone vehicle, it is terrible.
    Watched out of boredom; ended up fast forwarding most of it. Absolutely awful. Blatant attempt at creating a franchise. If there’s a #2, it would truly be a second #2, in the crudest sense of the term.

  17. #942
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    DUAL
    [While it is totally worth the $3.99 rental, you can also scope it for free via signing up for the AMC+ 7-day free trial]

    I wasn’t totally sure what to expect from the trailer, but I really enjoyed writer/director Riley Stearn’s two previous films, both of which I highly recommend (Faults and The Art of Self Defence).
    Teeming with cool callbacks, a solid story, and some wicked deadpan humor, this film is a whiz-bang, low-budget, indie sci-fi masterpiece.

    RIYL
    Safety Not Guaranteed; Save Yourselves!

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  18. #943
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    7,767
    ONLY THE ANIMALS
    It always starts with a missing body…
    Dominik Moll’s latest effort is a slow-burn psychodrama that’s part mystery, part subdued revenge thriller, topped off with a little bit of black humor, and just a smidgen of soap opera melodrama, all wrapped up in an intriguing cross cultural mélange.
    It’s slow and methodical with some rich cinematography augmented by solid acting from all involved.
    Definitely more sedate than some of Moll’s previous works, but the ending slipped out of nowhere with a nice slice of irony.

    RIYL
    Alex van Warmerdam’s The Dress
    Paul Haggis’s Crash
    Emmanuel Carrere’s La Moustache

    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 09-03-2022 at 07:32 AM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  19. #944
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,119

    Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    WYRMWOOD: APOCALYPSE
    $1.99 rental, but worth it

    Just when one thought the zombie genre was dead, along comes this gonzo effort from Oz.
    Huge nods to The Road Warrior, Night of the Comet, Evil Dead 2, Soylent Green, and Day of the Dead, this is a blood soaked and splattered brains good time.
    It’s a sequel to the 2014 Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead, which is also a hoot, but not required to enjoy this little ditty.

    This was really sick in the best possible ways, loved it.

    Anyone else check out the first two episodes of, The Rings of Power?
    Holy shit did they throw some money at this series, opening scene is totally mental. It shows a lot of promise, I’m in.

    https://youtu.be/x8UAUAuKNcU
    crab in my shoe mouth

  20. #945
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,198
    Been watching the Gymkhana files documentary on making of Ken Block's tenth vid. Pretty cool if you are into that kinda thing.

    Also Dust to Glory and Dust 2 Glory are pretty cool. Baja 1000 documentaries.

  21. #946
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    10,895
    Terminal List is excellent. if you're into that kind of shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Been watching the Gymkhana files documentary on making of Ken Block's tenth vid. Pretty cool if you are into that kinda thing.

    He's a Jedi.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  22. #947
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    4,657
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post

    Anyone else check out the first two episodes of, The Rings of Power?
    Holy shit did they throw some money at this series, opening scene is totally mental. It shows a lot of promise, I’m in.

    https://youtu.be/x8UAUAuKNcU
    Yep. Blown away. Even the Mrs., who prolly can’t tell you the difference between an Ent and and a hobbit, was all in after the first episode….Fucking awesome.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

  23. #948
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    4,462
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Yep. Blown away. Even the Mrs., who prolly can’t tell you the difference between an Ent and and a hobbit, was all in after the first episode….Fucking awesome.
    Really? You enjoyed "Badass Galadriel, sauron hunter?" I'll decide after a bit more, but that character massacre is just ridiculous.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  24. #949
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    4,657
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Really? You enjoyed "Badass Galadriel, sauron hunter?" I'll decide after a bit more, but that character massacre is just ridiculous.
    Lighten up, Francis.

  25. #950
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,853
    RLY
    I mean who here hasn't engaged a little badassery and demon hunting in our impetuous youth?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •