Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but just started watching Beat. German series about a Techo promoter getting recruited as an informant by the European Secret Service. The club setting is obviously based on Berghain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghain) so it's gritty, sexy, and dark. I'm only two episodes in but will keep on it.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

The Princess Bride is available now
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Inconceivable

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Tangerines

Danger Close

Hyena Road

My Name Is Nobody
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

After the Screaming Stops (currently on Prime/IMDB with not excessive ad breaks): About a late-80s British boy-band, Bros, featuring the twin brothers Goss, that rose to approximately 15 minutes of fame followed by a rapid fall, as they prepare for their reunion concert a quarter century later. This movie has been compared to Spinal Tap, which, even though their music does suck and the lead singer is kind of a twit, is a bit unfair; their reunion concert seems to have been reasonably successful. Anyway, it's an enjoyable enough twist on the rockumentary genre.

Chicken People, a not-as-good chicken version of Best in Show, but earnest,not mockumentary

I humbly suggest a hard pass on Encounter.
    I had high hopes for this based on the trailer.
    Turned it off after 20-minutes.
    It suffered from a generic plot, lack of necessary exposition, and an annoying child actor. All that plus Riz Ahmed's questionable southern redneck accent combined to make it barely watchable imho.
    Of course ymmv.
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 12-25-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I humbly suggest a hard pass on Encounter.
    I had high hopes for this based on the trailer.
    Turned it off after 20-minutes.
    It suffered from a generic plot, lack of necessary exposition, and an annoyimg child actor. All that plus Riz Ahmed's questionable southern redneck accent combined to make it barely watchable imho.
    Of course ymmv.
    Confirmed; bleeeeecccchhhhhh

Bumping for new series Outer Range. Just watched the first two episodes. Extra creepy and dark cowboy vibe staring Josh Brolin. I like where this is going.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Bumping for new series Outer Range. Just watched the first two episodes. Extra creepy and dark cowboy vibe staring Josh Brolin. I like where this is going.
    Good so far. I’ve read reviews calling it “Dark” for dummies. We shall see.

Got my attention. I was all ready for Lili Taylor's religious mama character to be rigidly suffocating, but loved her humbling of the Tillerson bros.

DELICIOUS
    I have always been a sucker for a good costume drama and for some reason the French just seem to excell at this genre.
    This film is poignant and demure, yet tingles with a witty undercurrent of social satire.
    The short take is: disgraced chef truly learns the joy of cooking via opening a roadside diner. To say more would ruin the delectable elements that permeate the story.
    Teeming with lush scenery, opulent food displays, and some sublime acting, this is a tasty little period drama aimed at those who enjoy a good meal, one without a lot of pretense and pomp.

RIYL
    Moliere;

* Not including the trailer as it gives away a lot of the juicy bits
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-19-2022 at 04:19 PM.

CANDYMAN (2021)
    To say I was.sceptical of this reboot/reimagining of the 1992 cult classic is an understatement, but, as with the recent remake/reimagining of the classic Susperia, this take exceeded my expectations and ended up being an entertaining effort.
    The film follows suit with the latest Halloween entries (though, unlike those films, it doesnt suck) in that it is a direct sequel to the original, thus crushing any canonical order to Candymans 2 and 3.
    The new creative team did a good job, creating a serious B-movie wrapped in pseudo arthouse pretenses.
    Lottsa subtext (some subtle, some overt as fiznuck) ranging from gentrification to the need for folklore and knowing one's history.
    Some really great imagery and framing of shots and the use of shadow puppetry is fantastic; it helps ground the film in not only folklore, but also urban legends.
    The score and sound design are really cool, too; extremely immersive and adding to the overal vibe of the film.
    While there are a few slash-and-gush moments, for the most part the film goes for implied gore, relying more on Hitchcockian techniques than in-yer-face splatter.
    The third act kinda falls apart and feels rushed, plus there is some skimping on exposition and character development; it actually migjt have benefited from another 15-30 minutes of run time, imho .
    Despite this, all in all it's a worthy successor/continuation to the 1992 original.

SAINT MAUD
    This is a super slow burn psychological thriller that pays off if you're willing to invest. It's at times frustratingly enigmatic, lacking in exposition, and snail paced, but there are moments of jarring intensity, stretches of strange euphoria, and the last 15-minutes are pretty damn gonzo.
    RIYL
    First Reformed; Amulet; Don't Leave Home; Relic

PIRANHAS
    This is a coming-of-age/teenaged mafia story that under the surface of its macho facade is actually kind of sad and poignant, hi-liting that all too often one can become a product of their environment.
    The way the film unfolds, it's hard to tell if it is merely meant as a slice of real life drama or as blunt social commentary. Regardless, it's captivating and brutal.

RIYL
    Gomorrah; Bad Boys (the Sean Penn film); Mean Streets; A Prophet

THE BASTARDS FIG TREE
    Taking place during the crux of the Spanish Civil War, this is an introspective fable revolving around guilt and redemption, burying the past, and varying levels of forgiveness. It also hi-lites the atrocities of mob mentality and lack of free thought.
    Filmed in lush earth tones and wrapped in a complimentary score, the film unfolds in an even pace, with just a slight hint of whimsy buried underneath the socio/political commentary.

RIYL
    The Devil's Backbone; Pan's Labyrinth

Undergods
    In a bleak and desolate future, two "garbage men" drive around in their truck delivering strange tales of dystopian dysfunction.
    Visually arresting and thematically abstract.

RIYL
    Vivarium; City Of Lost Children

SUSHI GIRL
    While this single room thriller owes a serious debt to the likes of Reservoir Dogs, it still holds its own thanks to solid performances from all involved.
    Sure, it has a slight faux grindhouse aura thanks to the overall vibe of the film, plus the inclusion of the likes of Danny Trejo (who wields a machete, no less), Michael Biehn, and Jeff Fahey, but thankfully eschews the fake deteriorated film stock look.
    Oh yeah, it earns extra points for a deliciously wacko Mark Hammill and relying on practical effects instead of cheap CGI.

RIYL
    The Killing Jar; Killing Zoe; Reservoir Dogs

TRANSIT
    This is an enthralling, albiet disquieting dystopian drama/thriller inspired by the French exodus during WWII. Buried underneath the tense police state aesthetic is a tangled love quadrangle revolving around stolen and mistaken identities and endless governmental read tape.
    An engaging slow burn that never reveals where it's going, the film draws you in at a steady pace and keeps you in its grasp until the very end.

RIYL
    Children of Men

The Boys is coming back for season 3 next week

BLISS

For some reason I keep giving director Joe Begos the benefit of my doubts. His first film, Almost Human, was almost unwatchable. His latest effort, VFW, was a limp and uninspired retread of the trapped-in-a-building-surrounded-by-hordes-of-rabid-attackers horror and thriller trope. Yet despite his less than stellar track record (in regards to my personal taste in horror films, mind you) I queued up another of his films last night. Why? Because for some unknown reason, when it comes to horror films, I am ever the optimist. And you know what? Dude finally finds his groove with Bliss, both in terms of direction and storytelling. Begos has always been about the splatter infested practical gore and here he continues to deliver, but he also seriously ups the ante in terms of a multi-layered story, competent actors, and a dizzying direction style (he straight snatches Spike Lee's signature dolly shot and elevates it to harrowing heights). The double-edged subtext regarding addiction and the origins of artistic expression is great, but there are also plenty of eww-and-goo moments that counter balance the underlying headyness with bucket loads of gore.

I WENT DOWN
    This is a quirky Irish mash up of the buddy comedy/inept gangster/road trip genres featuring a svelte Brendan Gleeson.
    Wonderful dialogue and a few twists meld with an easy going pace and some genuine moments of cinematic bravura to create an enjoyable little indie flick.

RIYL
    In Bruges; Intermission; The Guard; Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    The Boys is coming back for season 3 next week
    And it is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

PERSON TO PERSON
    this is a quirky ensemble piece taking place in New York over the course of a day.
    It's essentially a quartet of vignettes following a diverse and eccentric group of individuals. A couple of the stories overlap slightly, but overall it's just a glimpse into the many shades of New York denizens.
    Rippled with dry humor, deadpan characters, and some philosophical tangents, the stories revolve around a broken watch, the hunt for a rare Charlie Parker record, naked pictures on the internet, and young, high school love.
    All in all, it's a nice throwback to the type of indie films of the late 80s/early 90s.

RIYL
    Girl Walks Into A Bar; sex, lies, and videotape; Living In Oblivion;